Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Registering an imported BJ45

adrianwray

Country Flag
uk
Please can anyone assist?

I may need The Land Cruiser Owner's Club to help as I’ve come up against the mighty DVLA. Please persevere, I’ll try to keep it brief.

Because they say the manufacture date is not clear, DVLA are refusing to issue a UK registration number and documentation for the BJ45. I have sent them the original documentation from Portugal IMT (DVLA equivalent). In Portugal they have the date as 01-01-1982

Why DVLA will not accept this I cannot fathom but ringing them has been useless. One cannot speak to anyone in the registration department, just a general help line and they can't help.

DVLA say they'll accept an original letter on headed paper from an expert like the Toyota Land Cruiser's Owner’s club to verify the correct manufacture date.

Hence this post - Who at The Land Cruiser Owner's Club should I contact to provide that letter?

Please let me know your thoughts.

I have the Portuguese documents, details on the VIN are shown below.

VIN plate.jpg.jpeg

The chassis number is BJ45001098. I have more details if needed.

Many thanks.

Originally posted in the 40 section - I've moved it here hoping more will see and be able to help.

CP

Hi I had it with my fj45 and a DC Emlyn.Morris has been able to identify the Landcruiser as the vehicle which should bear the registration and I got it from the DVLA Bangor Local Office Penrhos Road Penrhosgarnedd Bangor LL572JF
Tel 01248353624 and Website http://www.dvla.gov.uk hop it helps tonytoyota good look with it let's have pics of the
Bj45.:thumbup:

I had a similar issue a few years ago with a hilux built, registered & driven here on South African plates.

dvla wanted official confirmation of build date etc.

toyota uk were able to provide this for around £100 I think it was, so I paid them & waited, & waited.....

eventually, as I had the handbook with the original selling dealers details in Windhoek, I phoned them & they immediately faxed through confirmation of dates etc on headed paper which the dvla accepted.
about a month after I had it registered on the uk plates, the Toyota letter arrived!!

hope this may help, but only if you have any history.

Andy

Thanks for this information, could you elaborate further about Morris and how to identify the Landcruiser manufacture date, can you let me know with
who and how can I make contact?

I'll ring DVLA Bangor Local office this morning.

Many thanks so far for this lead.

Adrian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Like you, I've been in touch with Toyota uk as they are able to provide vehicle identification but it is taking a long time, hence my enquiries here.

Sadly my vehicle is over 30 years old and there is no dealers details available for me to contact. I'm looking for an expert in the UK who could help, say the Land Cruiser Owners Club secretary or other officer.

As a matter of interest, when you eventually got the uk plates, what letter or format did they issue, was it a Q plate?.

Thanks for you help.

Adrian

As Andy rightly says above, if anyone in future needs a Vehicle Dating Letter for DVLA or anyone else, Toyota do have a "vehicle dating" service.

It took and week and £75 once sufficient facts and documentation were available from me for them to provide me with a letter - Application form below.

Contact details
Emma Lione
Vehicle Certification Administrator
Legal and Compliance Department
Toyota (GB) PLC
T: 01737 367931
F: 01737 367706
E: [email protected]

I hope this helps people in future.

I just hope DVLA are now satisfied enough to provide the registration document we've been after for month without providing yet another hurdle !

Best regards

Adrian

Request for a vehicle dating Letter -020413 (Toyota).jpg

Hi there

i have registered a lot of Portuguese landcruiser in the UK and not had a problem with DVLA. Did you get a UK MOT? And did you send the DVLA the Portuguese reg doc with the hologram on it?

Giles

Giles,

Thanks for you input.

Yes, got a UK MOT but as the vehicle had been off the road for a while in Portugal the certificate we got was their version of SORNI think which DVLA seems not to have seen before?

Gone back to DVLA with all their latest requests, hopefully we're there now but they keep providing hurdles one at a time rather than tell us what documents they want all at once.

Might hear whether we finally have success next week.

Adrian

Hi there

have you won with the DVLA yet, if not I will give you a UK reg number from a Portuguese BJ45 and they can look at the docs they used to register that and compare to the ones you have submitted i bet they will be the same. DVLA are a bit like any big company they don't always get things right first time, I cashed some tax in and the sent me a cheque twice

Giles

Giles

Thanks for your offer of help but, it was only yesterday that the DVLA rang and have agreed to now register the vehicle following confirmation from Toyota about date of manufacture and a few other details.

I am hopeful the document and tax disc will arrive in the next few days so I can finally go out and buy a registration plate.

Stay in touch

Adrian

Back