Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removal of Plastic Trim -- Rear Wheel Arches?

stuzbot

Well, glutton for punishment that I am [and quite unrelated to the failure of Bargain of the Century© to provoke any padlock unlocking amongst the hoi polloi], I thought I'd let the dog see the rabbit today and remove the plastic trim round the rear wheel arches. So I could better assess what welding needed doing around the chassis rails at the back.

Not for the first time, I fell at the first hurdle. In fact its probably more accurate to say I went on my arse over the benches in the changing rooms. I can't work out how the heck to get the plastic wheel arch trim off.

Separating from the rear bumper and underneath is straightforward enough:

20220713_163010.jpg

But there seems to be some other attachment point right up inside the trim About level with the fuel filler cap, according to my scientific 'bend it until it feels like something is going to break' method:

20220713_162958.jpg

The only way I can think of to get in there is possibly by removing this other plastic trim first; the one that sits inside the wheel arch:

20220713_162915.jpg

But that's held on with these weird plastic clips which I can't see any way of removing. There's a hole in the middle but it just looks rounded, not screwdriver or hex bit shaped... unless someone's been in there before and knackered it up. But they're all like that.

20220713_162928.jpg

I tried prising one of them out with a flat blade but it felt like it would break before it let go. So I'm kinda stuck here. Anyone taken their plastic trim off in this area? And, if so, what's the secret?

I can't actually remember beyond squirting some lube in there because iirc some of the clips slide/slot into place . Your going to break most of them anyway .

Plastic clips. If they are anything like a 120 series then there is 5 of them along the top edge, and another 2-3 towards the wheel.

A better way to tell is remove the inner quarter panel trim and have a look at the back of it. You might be able to lube/ push them out.

But be prepared to order some clips. A universal box off eBay is handy to have about, but the 5 on 120 arches are all different colours and shapes with the contour of the arch.

Or tiger seal…

The weird clips on the arch Are one use. You’ve just got to pry them off. These are used on loads of Japanese cars.

Attachments

• A11AD9E3-7E52-4337-B069-34FA3520051F.png
    A11AD9E3-7E52-4337-B069-34FA3520051F.png
    607.5 KB · Views: 20
Thanks all. Looks like mindless violence and a box of replacement clips off eBay is the way to go.

These bloody clips everywhere are a nightmare, so many different throughout one vehicle.
I've recently removed the type Derek shows holding plastic mudflap assembly on my 120.
They had hex head coach screws in and acted like an expansion plug, but even with the screw out, I destroyed the thing trying to pull it past the 'teeth on the sides.
There are other types that have a plastic pin to push or tap into a hole like you show, this also expands it, and are a b'stard to get out. New are definately the way to go for re assembly.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

The clips you can't see slot into tabs on the inside of the trim . . . . If you use the 'mindless violence' approach you will break some off - then your new clips won't help you :doh:.

However, those you can see can be drilled out with impunity (don't drill too deep though).

Good to see you've still got the project :lol: .

This should be good :thumbup:.

Bob.

Sump plugs ? Glad it was you who mentioned that !
Good you can look back on it with a smile.

I still can't help thinking that one which is causing you grief can slide off somehow . It will be obvious when its off :think:

WD-40 and try shunting it backwards and forwards maybe .

You need to remove the inner trim panel to expose the clips in the inner wing. They have a tongue on the clips which I turned gently with pliers and the clips come out. Some stubborn ones had to be squeezed together to remove them. I replaced these with new ones. Touch wood you won't break many this way and you can reuse them. HTH

The clips you can't see slot into tabs on the inside of the trim . . . . If you use the 'mindless violence' approach you will break some off

Yep. I shone a torch up inside the gap and could see that there were a couple of mounting tabs on the inside. Both were already broken and dangling [even before my mindless violence experiments] so looks like someone has been in there before me.

You need to remove the inner trim panel to expose the clips in the inner wing

Ta. I suspected as much.

I want to replace the rear plastic arches on mine, previous owner damage, where can i buy them and the clips.

These are the clips I bought. Seem to be decent enough quality and you get a good selection and lots of them:

You must still have 1/2 that bargain bag left Stu, now's your chance to make up your loss by flogging parts ?

Thanks for your help, hopefully i can buy sonething similar in Spain. Customs since Brexit is a nightmare, not just the costs but the delay, about 8 weeks from Uk.

I wasn't going to mention sump plugs, and thats great philosophy that may work ??

Back