Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing rear caliper

THL

Country Flag
europe
Starting the handbrake refurb and have got as far as removing the caliper. I’m only wanting to have a look under the rotor at the parts that might need replacing so I want to avoid taking the caliper apart. Can I remove the caliper by undoing the two 17mm bolts from the backing plate or do I need to remove the two caliper pins first and then the 17mm bolts?

thanks

You can remove the 2 x 17mm caliper bolts and tap the caliper off the rotor with the brake pads still in the caliper.

You can .

I think you waited a while for someone to answer this question because nobody wants to feel responsible if you end up stuck not being able to put things back together . Replacing parts in the handbrake is not difficult but frustratingly fiddly and to get at it is the only way to learn , that's what i do .

I sincerely wish i had a friend to call when it proves to be more of a job than i expected though because things that now take me an hour might have once had the truck laid up and undrivable for a week !

You can remove the 2 x 17mm caliper bolts and tap the caliper off the rotor with the brake pads still in the caliper.

Cheers Trevor!

I’ve left it on axle stands until tomorrow as I only had an hour to get into it. Didn’t want to give it any force in case I’d forgotten something.

@Shayne - yep, would be nice to have someone on call :) however I’ve found this forum is pretty good at being the next best thing.

Back