Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing sunroof glass

warrenpfo

After just going to the car to try and pinpoint a squeak I ended up removing the glass in 5min.

It's a very easy job should you want to do it.

With the roof tilted up pry the side moldings on the glass off with a scraper.

vu9a2ata.jpg

a6uryqeq.jpg

ruqydusu.jpg

With the plastic removed you will see 3 M10 bolts on each side that need to be undone.

yma3una7.jpg

anabavu2.jpg

Having removed them you will notice some spacers between the glass and the frame. I assume they are the same on all cruisers but might not be so note there orientation and numbers. I had two on the front and one on the rear.

e2yqusyt.jpg

u7e9ysa3.jpg

unuruben.jpg

6enuqyba.jpg

hy2u9e3y.jpg

ehe6uru3.jpg

The glass just lifts off having undone the bolts and you can then nice the seal a good clean and or replace if you need to.

ajamypyq.jpg

gu6u3e8y.jpg

yhuqugy9.jpg

Just reverse to install

The squeak I had from my sunroof was the plastic trim you prised off to access the bolts Warren. I need to get that trim off to find out why it's not clipping securely.

It's holding in place OK, just has a micro mm bit of movement, can't believe how much noise it makes vibrating such a small amount:lol:

Drives me nuts sometimes, but I'll get round to it one day.

Yep me too and in the last picture you can seei cut up some bicycle tube and gluded it to the few places it touches up against the metal and hey presto its as quite as a mouse.

I also cant believe how dirty the seal was and after a good clean i gave it two coats of this to help restore and soften the rubber which worked great to provide a better seal too.

einszett-1z-gummi-pflege-rubber-care-stick-1242-p[ekm]288x266[ekm].jpg

einszett-1z-gummi-pflege-rubber-care-stick-1242-p[ekm]288x266[ekm].jpg

Good idea! Mine sounds like its a plastic to plastic squeak, maybe I need to put some rubber where the two pieces of plastic overlap. I notice from your pics that there's some small rubber elastic band with strips on your plastic.

Mine had the squeak as well, a bit of card off a fag packet slipped in and

Silence

Reactions: Bas
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine had the squeak as well, a bit of card off a fag packet slipped in and

Silence

:lol: That's exactly what's stopping my squeak at the minute, JM, ARB could market those bits of fag packets as custom 80 mods!

One net day I'll fix it properly :lol:

I know this is an 80 series thread but is most relevant to the issue i am having with my 100 series, 2003.
Sunroof is stuck closed and has a slight leak - I want to clean the drain holes out, and possibly replace the gasket around the sunroof glass if needed. Is it possible to remove the glass like shown in this thread with the sunroof stuck closed? And also put it back in after cleaning out the drains? Or can I manually push the sunroof open to remove the glass?
I dont need to fix the sunroof to make it open and close, just want it to not leak.
Thanks!

It's more likely that the drain holes are blocked at the bottom in the sill rather than in the sunroof gulley upstairs.
Taking the 80 series analogy, there is NO gasket. The roof doesn't seal at all. It is designed to leak. It catches the water and send it down the drains in effect. Again on the 80 if it's failed electrically, you can remove the switch facsia and wind the roof by hand with a handle in the tool kit.

Thanks for the quick reply. Understood about the gasket and design to allow water in, but was under impression I could have less water get in with a better seal, which seems like a good idea.

When you say the bottom in the sill, you mean I can only access the drains with the sunroof open and not by taking the glass out, which would leave the sunroof mechanism blocking the sill? That makes sense. Now I have to figure out if I can open the sunroof...

No. The drains in the sill if like the 80 are small slits that let the roof water run out. But they block with dust and gunk. This lets the sill fill with gallons of water until it backs up to the roof and then you get the leak. It's not about how much water you get in, it's about how much you let out! The sill is the bit that runs along the underside of your car between the wheels. It acts like a huge tank. It's not in the roof.

When the drains in the sill get blocked the sills do indeed fill up but overflow into the foot wells and won’t cause leakage from the roof itself. A blockage in the drain tubes from the sunroof trough will cause it to flood and overflow into the interior. I’ve had both scenarios, both equally annoying. The seal round the roof glass is just a dust/debris seal and not intended to prevent water ingress. If this seal is in poor condition you’re more likely to get a drain tube or sill drain blockage.

Good stuff. I've a plastic cover piece to replace and hopefully will solve my constant overflows on the sunroof.
This should make it easier to get to

Folks, anybody got a picture of the drain holes for the sunroof and sills?? Everyday after it’s been rain the sills are full, I had removed some of the plugs so depends on which way I park the truck on the slight hill and wether the water runs out, but would like to clean them out. Thanks

2E582B84-CE49-4410-B156-64D77CCC0C4A.jpeg

This is the front one. There’s another around 2ft further back and maybe another near the back of the sills. They block easily especially if the sunroof dust seal is poor.

What year is your Cruiser? Does it have the OEM sunroof as fitted to the later 80 series? I think some of the earlier models had a different roof.
The later models have a sunroof that sits in a metal tray with drain holes at each corner. The fronts drain into the sills and the rears exit the body via a long rubber hose through the bottom of the rear quarter panels.

Back