Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Removing tailgate windows

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Trying to sort out various rust on the ol' girl and I need to remove the rear window to treat the corner. It's got vinyl on but the glass is still there. Going to replace it with ply to reduce weight because we'll be sticking black vinyl back on.

I had assumed it'd be held in by clips but it doesn't seem to be. Could it be held in just with sealant?

I'd like to keep the moulding if possible because its £40 for a new one which i'd rather not spend.

IMG_1237.JPG

Any ideas anyone on how to remove?

Ok, got this sorted today so thought i'd do a quick write up in case any one else needs/ wants to do it and wasn't sure what was entailed.

Step1. I got a couple of flat head screwdrivers and gently put them under the window moulding. As you can see I inserted them where the rust is so I am going to rub down and repaint the area. If i wasn't i'd have put a bit of masking tape on the screw drivers to protect the paint. Being gentle I worked the screw drivers in and along.
IMG_1307.JPG

Step 2. Keep working around the window. The window is held in with a windscreen sealant. It didn't need much to work it loose. I removed the window moulding carefully as am hopefully going to re-use it.

IMG_1309.JPG

Step 3. Remove window. Easy peasy.

IMG_1312.JPG

Step 4. Remove old sealant, clean up and sort rust.

IMG_1311.JPG

I'm going to replace the window with a ply panel for added security and so I can bolt storage solutions on the inside. I'll do a build thread once I have got some more jobs done so i'll put more details into that.

Back