Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Repairing Plastic

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
A general enquiry to see what you guys do with broken bumpers . .

I have removed the rear plastic bumper from the '100' and a couple of the lower plastic brackets have been knocked off (with the bits still attached to what's left of the bolts).

In the past I have repaired spare wheel covers, plastic under-trays etc. with a Hot Glue gun, but it isn't the best fix and doesn't last any time.

I would like to reinforce the repair with a plastic plate glued over the join, but what to use ??

Stuff like Araldite just peels off shiny plastic, I need something that fuses the bits together without heat (been there).

Suggestions / experiences please !

Bob.

Assuming it's ABS or something similar, use plumbing solvent weld. It's magic stuff.

I bought a hot stapler. It's changed my life. What a fantastic thing. It's actually designed for the car body market. I bought 1000 assorted staples for like £8 or something. I've repaired all sorts with it. It only heats the staple, you push that into the plastic, twist and pull. Things like headlight brackets, bumpers, bolt tabs and so forth, perfect.

I repaired a plastic motorcycle fairing years ago with plastic welding rods. At the time I had a gas powered soldering iron which had a hot air attachment so I used that although plastic welding kits are available..........
Plastic Weld

Assuming it's ABS or something similar, use plumbing solvent weld. It's magic stuff.

I've tried that and although it appeared to bond initially there was no strength in the join and it broke easily.

1632855799037.png

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well, thanks guys - I'll investigate the Hot Stapler option, that sounds like the way to go.

No doubt there are cheap Chinese devices on e-Bay and some expensive stuff from the serious tool people . . . I'll wait until I get a response from Simon to my recent parts quotation request before deciding :lol: .

I'll get this rust mountain knocked into shape one day.

Bob.

Most are cheap Chinese. All they do is pass a current through the staple to heat it up. You could make that bit from a car battery and a potentiometer.

Research shows - some are 30w, some 50w and a few are 1200w :think: .

As always, I'm inclined to go for the higher power option (being a Petrol-Head) but has anyone had experience of different power ratings, what is the recommendation ??

Thanks again.

Bob.

I'll have a look at mine Bob it has low medium and high settings

Well, I took the plunge and my new tool arrived today:

Its a "US.PRO Hot Stapler Plastic Repair Set". Seems to be well made - It cost me £81.99 on e-Bay.

It comes in a substantial plastic box - not the usual 'blow-moulded' rubbish I've seen before.
DSCN0210.JPG

DSCN0211.JPG

DSCN0214.JPG

DSCN0215.JPG

Hot Stapler Instructions-1.jpg

Hot Stapler Instructions-2.jpg

And there we are. Hopefully this will allow me to repair the plastic bumpers on the '100' and avoid more eye-watering quotes from Simon (I received another one today !) :lol: .

Thanks for the advice, folks :thumbup:.

Bob.

AND a new pair of end cutters.. if there knipex probable cost half as much as the heat stapler.

Back