Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replace Rear Shockers 100 series - problems getting hydraulic suspension pipe removal

Neil Hicking

Hi,
getting a bit desperate with this one!!!!

Trying to replace the pipe from the top of the rear shocker that goes to the AHC globe - its corroded and leaking. Can't get to the nuts easily that hold the pipe flange to the subframe where it fits onto the top of the shocker. These nuts are seized on and probably will snap if forced.

Is there an easier way to access these nuts? We are looking at cutting the floor out, to get from the inside of the car, but there are cables and pipes in the way. Yes this is a bastard job indeed. I read somewhere you can get from under the wheel arch but this doesn't work.

Any help or advice most appreciated.

Hi Neil
The best way I have found to access this area is to remove the spare wheel and kind of lean over the top of the axle, you can then get one arm over the top of the shock and down the pipe. But the access is so awkward you can't do much other than swing a spanner. I would rather remove the axle completely than cut a hole in the floor. Good luck.
Andy

Thanks Andy,
have already come to the conclusion we may well shear the bolts holding the AHC pipe onto the top of the shocker even if we can move these nuts. So may well try the hole in the floor. But thanks for the thoughts.

I've only done this on a 100 with a 40mm body lift which is still tight but a lot better than standard. Raising the body on that side might be a better alternative to cutting a hole in the floor? It's been a while but I think the bolts you are worrying about go into a plate that is not part of the ram so if you do shear them you'll be looking at undoing the 22mm nut on top of the ram to get the plate off to remedy the sheared bolts not having to replace the whole ram - in case that helps decide.

It is possible to do it in situ I removed my spare wheel to get the best access and raied the whole car on axle stands placed on the chassis, removed the rear wheels and let the back axle hang.
From memory I think I had to remove the fuel tank and exhaust rear sections to refit the new pipe work as the bends did not allow it to wiggle into place over the chassis.
Monting bolt support bracket half way along the pipe was also difficult to access.
As already mentioned do not worry too much about a broken bolt on the top of the shock bracket as it can be removed with the shock and sorted on the bench.
I got into my rear shocks and feed hoses due to a n/s rear shock faliure and then decided to do both shocks and both feed hoses.
I got the OEM shocks through Milners at a decent rate and imported the hoses through Amayama as the UK dealer network were very expensive.
In all it was some where around 2 Days work to do everything and clean the fuel tank out and generally clean up and fettle all components.

I think iirc you can take the rear wheels off and get to those small bolts with an open ended spanner between the chassis and body. They never use grease on the production line but I always grease on assembly and it takes a long time to disappear in use.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I use rust eater on bolts i'm confident will snap (dychem super limate) and it works every time , if you think about it its chasing the rust in leaving room for penetrating oil to do its work .

Definitely cut a hole if the main nut gives you any bother. There's a thread on mud with measurements for where to cut the hole. Use a hole diameter for which you can get a standard body-plug to cover up.
Otherwise, it's not too difficult to lift the body a bit from the frame, if you can get enough of the 12 body bolts undone.

As others have said if you remove the spare wheel you can undo the top hat for the ahc pipe and the strut top nut without cutting any holes. It is tight but it can be done.

Thanks for all that guys. Sorry to say have tried most of the "difficult" options offered and failed. However knowing the top brackets of the AHC connection to the top of the shocker will come away with the shocker once we have sheared the bolts is probably the key here. We sort of thought the bolts were into the chassis. Will try once again without "hacking" the floor to bits, this assumes we can shear the bolts off, all 4 of them (2 sides). Main dealer pipes cost £750 inc vat for both sides (2 pipes), but did get the shockers some time ago from Millners, but didn't fit. I should have gone to spec savers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My rear shocks came from Milners too and were fine, in fact they were OEM units.
I got my hoses from Amayama and were around half price IIRC.

I’ve just read this old thread and at least it gives me some options on how to get to the rear suspension pipes
cheers all

Back