Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement ariel mast.

Dave2000

Supporter
Country Flag
spain
So in my quest to remain active I decided to fit the new ariel mast I got from the 'Wallapop' app here in Spain, unsure if it has reached the UK yet but basically a low budget eBay, where there is a price and often the seller will take a lower offer. I got the new mast for the equivalent of about £10.00? But of course nothing is that simple, when the ariel was not drawn down into the motor I decided that perhaps there was something with the gears inside, so I took off the left hand wing and found out two things, the first is the ariel I bought has a white base and the correct one is a red base. The second problem is after taking the wing off (I could not see an easier way) I found it made no odds anyway, whilst the motor still made a noise the bottom of the ariel where the nylon 'push/pull' bit (technical term) is wound had rusted away, so I still need a new ariel anyway! :icon-biggrin:

Having gone this far and if I cannot get a replacement ariel for a price I can afford as sick pay in Spain is not that good, and following months of no work with the Covid lock down, and now having not been able to work since August last year and it could be July or longer this year before I get to return to work (begging bowl with note of fifteen kids to feed on floor outside the supermarket) am I making you feel sorry for me? No at least I tried. Anyway, someone on here suggested a generic replacement (apologies forgotten who it was) I may go that route but it seems the wiring is not compatible with the two switches on the 80 dashboard, but wanting to keep it looking reasonable stock (I did fit two USB sockets to charge my phone and mapping tablet in the blanks) I reckon I could make up an adjustable timer to activate the ariel with a up and down set runtime?

To close this post I would say that something that did surprise me was how easy the wing came off. One bolt at the top 'gutter' snapped, so easily drilled out and tapped, two on the inner/outer wing joint where the speedy clips spun and one of the two under the sill broke another drill and tap if I can get to it without taking the step off and perhaps breaking more bolts in the process? Despite living within a mile or so from the sea there are just two tiny areas of the inner wing that are rusty so some treatment and a penny washer with a dab of weld will sort those with ease. Inner wing other than that as solid as a rock! :thumbup:.

Stay safe.

Regards

Dave

I did fit two USB sockets to charge my phone and mapping tablet in the blanks
Hi, I am interested specifically in sourcing USB sockets that fit into blank slots on my 80 series dash. if I'm understanding your post correctly you have done just that. Do you recall please where you sourced those sockets - were they a particular 80 series blank dash size, or universal? Thank you.

Hi, they were I think from Ebay, the sockets came with mounts and the transformers dropping 12v down to IIRC 5v? I cut the OE blanks to the shape of the sockets and glued them in place, they work great, one charges my phone and the other my mapping tablet.

Regards

Dave

Many thanks for the reply. Tallon Systems in New Zealand seem to provide what I need - pricey though.

It is possible with my 95 UK 80 to get your hand through gap in the panel and remove the ariel. Very difficult though and needs years of spannering training.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
It is possible with my 95 UK 80 to get your hand through gap in the panel and remove the ariel. Very difficult though and needs years of spannering training.

I've done it a couple of times, laid across the engine. Real job and a half for one little bolt.

Back