Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement battery terminal clamp - recommendations

Rosy

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Morning folks, while trying to diagnose a charging issue on my 80 I discovered the DS negative terminal clamp was badly cracked, and needs replacing.

I would like to replace this with a clamp that provides additional posts for adding accessories.

My questions are:
  • Has anyone replaced the OEM clamp with something similar, if so what clamp would they recommend.
  • Is there any reason Toyota decided to use this "sealed" type clamp for the negative side rather than the post type they use for both positive terminals?
  • Is there anything I should be wary of if switching from the current type to a post type clamp?
Thanks in advance.
Rosy

Battery Terminal.jpg

Both sides of mine broke some years back Rosy. Truth be said that its wear and tear for a 20 year plus vehicle. I cut it off and replaced it with a metal replacement. Needed to solder it on too.

I got genuine mrT from Roughtrax though it was a while ago .

Rosy, Ive looked loads of times for clamps that have additional terminals for other things, but only found chinese or other cheap tat.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Had a mooch in the garage over lunch and I found one of those lying around... cut and crimped on a new terminal and it all looks good now.

The 12VP clamp does seem pretty solid, time will tell.

Thanks folks.

replacement terminal.jpg

I'd stick with OEM or at least a good quality replacement. I used some average ones a while back and they would corrode up pretty badly and loosen over the lugs over time.

Back