Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement key or lock for the rear wheel cover?

mwhtc

I’m getting the truck ready for a trip to France in two weeks time, and going through the list of jobs to do I’ve realised that I don’t have a key for the rear wheel cover for my spare wheel. I never got them with the truck, didn’t even think about it.

I’ve looked at the lock and can’t see a number on it, which I thought I could just get a copy made from.

Are these keys easy to get hold of? If not, are replacement locks easy enough to get? I’m looking and getting a lot of crap back as I don’t think I’m looking for the right thing at all.

What type of cover, - the s/s ring that covers the tread, the plastic wheel disc, or the all over plastic type cover ?

That would help!

It’s plastic shroud, and plastic cover.

3602C09B-1EAC-4938-9344-122F7A8525CF.jpeg

Yep, similar to my s/s job.
The locks on these with the pull over tensioner have been a long standing problem on a genuine item or aftermarket cover. As you found, no lock number, but you used to be able to buy the complete lock assembly cheaply with keys from various places, (ebay).etc.
It's only riveted on, so drill out and 're rivet new on. That's assuming it's unlocked and you can get it open.
The key when turned moves a rotating lever to 'unlock it'.
Regular lubing is required, if the rotating lever gets stiff, the key can twist.
My keys have HongGuan stamped on them, no number. Guess where they come from ?

Yep, similar to my s/s job.
The locks on these with the pull over tensioner have been a long standing problem on a genuine item or aftermarket cover. As you found, no lock number, but you used to be able to buy the complete lock assembly cheaply with keys from various places, (ebay).etc.
It's only riveted on, so drill out and 're rivet new on. That's assuming it's unlocked and you can get it open.
The key when turned moves a rotating lever to 'unlock it'.
Regular lubing is required, if the rotating lever gets stiff, the key can twist.
My keys have HongGuan stamped on them, no number. Guess where they come from ?
Thanks for this.

I had gone out today to put some new LED bulbs inside, new blades etc, and it occurred to me that I’m not sure where my lock nut was. Had a look in the glove box, and inside a lock nut box were two keys that fit the wheel cover. So I thought I was winning.

Tried it and the lock is froze solid. It won’t budge. But I think the previous owner had this issue too as I managed to squeeze the cover down which unlatched the lock so I’m able to get to the spare wheel. The lock itself is just rusted closed, so I’ll look to get a replacement lock altogether and sort it out. Probably won’t do this till I get back though.

2 steps forward and 1 back eh ? As I said previously, need regular lube.
At least you won't be stuck not being able to use the spare which is good.
Exact copy of yours £15 on eBay mate, new with 2 keys and new rivets.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yeah seen them, I’ll order one later and if I have chance before I go away I’ll throw it on.

Back