Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacement shock absorbers

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
I’m looking to change my shock absorbers before too much longer, currently fitted with Ironman suspension and I believe was a 4” lift, would like to keep the look of whatever height I’m still at as I’m sure it’s sagged a bit, a bit like myself!

what options are readily available or recommend?

thanks in advance

J

Shock absorbers don't affect the height of the car. The springs do this but after the type of spring has been decided upon the correct "height" shock absorber must be fitted.

Frank I’m well aware it’s the springs for height, but all I can really find is shocks for a 2” lift, and as you state these aren’t in the correct length / operating range for longer springs, I’m sure with the sag in my springs now they may not be far away but I wouldn’t take that chance.
I see that Ironman are in some ways regarded as lower range item and more than likely good enough for me but wondered if the brains here had a better recommendation

cheers

EFS. All day, every day. I have 4" on mine. As Frank points out, 4" lift springs and 4" longer shocks to match.

No they are not cheap, but you know what cheap gets you! I got mine from Devon4x4 as the Polish chaps don't stock this model. Originally I got them direct from Oz.

Not wishing to teach you how to suck eggs, but in relation to damping you really only get to see how good they are when you give them some proper treatment. Otherwise, Halfords ones will do. On our Russia trip, we rocked back and forth so much crossing the mountains that after a few hours mine were almost glowing. I thought I'd actually lost the front dampers completely. They were steaming. After a cup of tea and some photo ops we were back off again and all was good. They didn't suffer at all from the trauma and are still good today. They're far from new having covered around around 30k overland miles. Not that many miles maybe, but hard miles fully loaded and bouncing. Obviously if mated to inferior springs, they're going to get a real workout.

I wouldn't have anything else now. I know Sam and Andy have full EFS too and they're fans.

You can buy both EFS and Iron man pro from mp4x4 in Poland. I've placed three orders with them now and their service has always been great. They have shipped orders to UK, Slovenia and Romania for me always within a week at reasonable costs.

EFS:
https://mp4x4.pl/488-toyota-land-cruiser-80-105-lift-4cale-i-6cali

Iron Man Pro
https://mp4x4.pl/488-toyota-land-cruiser-80-105-lift-4cale-i-6cali

I'm not sure if you have had trouble with the standard iron man shocks or the pro version. I've the had the pro version on for about 20k kms now on very bad roads for extended journeys. They have been holding up great.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Grant, I've tried them. Very helpful but they don't do the 4" set up that I have. I had to get my last springs through D44.

Grant, I've tried them. Very helpful but they don't do the 4" set up that I have. I had to get my last springs through D44.

Oh that's annoying. They currently have them on their website so not sure if that has changed or if their website is inaccurate.

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 16.18.56.png
Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 16.18.46.png

Sorry screen shooter the +5 inches there but they have +4 in both too.

I've never seen them get that hot Chris but I've never given any that much stick. The ride does usually get softer after shocks warm up and the oil gets thinner. Your front ones must have felt they were full of petrol.

Well that is interesting Grant. I did ask them perhaps 9 months ago. Maybe they're update their range.

Yes Frank, it was very odd. We'd been thrown from side to side (full laden) for a couple of hours, violently due to the complete lack of a road. Then the front end just felt very strange and bouncy. Water thrown up from puddles was hissing on the damper casings and you could feel the heat from the arches as you walked past. All recovered and no lasting harm though.

Water thrown up from puddles was hissing on the damper casings and you could feel the heat from the arches as you walked past. All recovered and no lasting harm though.

That is pretty toasty!

Thanks Gents, exhaust snapped at the down pipe today, will have to prise open the wallet for sure now

Back