Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing rivets with screws on snorkel

Yatys93

Country Flag
australia
me again

currently messing with my 90 ahead of travels, snorkel kit has been ordered however part of the kit is riveting the bracket on the A pillar, which is fine but I'd rather not buy a rivet gun to put 4 rivets in and then never be touched again, so my plan is buying some screws once the kit arrives so I can compare size and make sure they are a decent size replacement, anyone got any ideas on screw type, thread pattern for example that works well on body panels?

I used easydrive self tapping wafer inside the door frame pillar for my external sun visor .

Half inch or something ? the pillar is hollow so it really doesn't matter because the screw can hold the thin sheet of body work , i should have and will when i get around to it put a smear of silicone between surfaces before screwing it tight just to ensure rust never gets start .

The visor is basically a wing above my windscreen and 100mph has never rattled it .

Half inch or something ? the pillar is hollow so it really doesn't matter because the screw can hold the thin sheet of body work , i should have and will when i get around to it put a smear of silicone between surfaces before screwing it tight just to ensure rust never gets start .

The visor is basically a wing above my windscreen and 100mph has never rattled it .
thank you, I was more unsure about how long a screw can be before it makes a hole on the interior of the car, I'm learning as I make mistakes on this car and would rather not put a hole at eye level on the drivers side pillar lol

Note i have not fitted a snorkel but i'm assuming it rivets to the same place .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Note i have not fitted a snorkel but i'm assuming it rivets to the same place .
ya not the same kit as the one I've ordered but they're all the same basic shape, I figured I was probably being over cautious but at the same time it took me 3 attempts to change 4 bulbs yesterday so thought it best to double check on this one, part of me is tempted to just follow the instructions and buy a cheap rivet gun but I loath the idea of buying a tool for 4 rivets knowing I won't need it again for a while if ever, and I'm going to have to find it a home in the back of the car for the next 2-3 years

They used self tappers on that one so its all the same , a screw would have to be long enough to go through the body and the interior trim to make a mess and inch plus i'd guess .

Better to ask than regret :thumbup:

They used self tappers on that one so its all the same , a screw would have to be long enough to go through the body and the interior trim to make a mess and inch plus i'd guess .

Better to ask than regret :thumbup:
ya I think what I'll do is grab a pack of half and 3/4 length and then I've got a back up if the half's don't hold, and if they do I'll return the 3/4

Keep them in stock, useful for all sorts of stuff.
You can never have enough screws, nuts, bolts, washers etc. when you need them.

Back