Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Replacing the Diesel Filler Pipe:

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
I bought my 100-Series 4.2 litre 24-valve Automatic with 121,000 miles last April and within a couple of weeks it was dripping diesel on the yard. I replaced the fuel tank with a brand new Toyota one at eye-watering expense and made a new tank cradle out of fibreglass because the old one had disintegrated and no new ones were not going to be available until September 2014.

I posted a description of that job at the time.

When replacing the tank I could see that the long and tortuous filler & breather pipes were looking bad and was planning to replace them when the weather got warmer this year.

Fate had other ideas.

I had noticed a small damp patch under the truck when filling it up and knew that the pipes were leaking but it wasn't bad enough to worry about so stuck to 'the plan'.

On 6th Feb I took it down to Somerset in order to attend the "Bristol Classic Bike Show" at Shepton Mallet. I usually take a bike but with snow and ice around the Scottish Central Belt and the Borders plus increasing old age decided to take 'the truck'.

Filling up at The Michael Wood Services on the M5 I was rather embarrassed to see diesel dripping furiously onto the forecourt as I filled the tank - the leak had got a lot worse :icon-rolleyes:.

So after an 867 mile round trip at 23.8mpg :)shock:) I ordered a new filler pipe from Simon Holton along with a few fittings and set to work last Friday (20th Feb).

Naturally the two 8mm bolts with Toyota's collapsing 12mm heads were attached to a body cross-member positioned right above a chassis cross-member, meaning that it wasn't possible to get a socket on them or get any straight access at all, a bit of genius design.

DSCN4041_zps6zyxwx9o.jpg

The filler pipe and its attached breather pipe were both damp and obviously no longer fit for purpose.

DSCN4040_zpsg9gi0ukk.jpg

The rubber hoses at the tank had been replaced last summer and were in good condition.

DSCN4042_zps57caroil.jpg

In order to get to the filler-end of the pipes one has to remove the mud shield behind the rear wheel.

Its called a 'mud shield' because it shields the mud and prevents it from being washed out of the wheel arch :angry-screaming: (cynical ?? moi ??).

There was a lot of wet mud trapped behind the shield resulting in some serious rust.

DSCN4051_zps6bpbchve.jpg

DSCN4048_zps5tc46rab.jpg

DSCN4047_zpsi1dhweel.jpg

The bracket up at the filler-end was very thin and the bolt and captive nut were naturally seized solid. I spent a long time with a hot air gun, a wire brush and a can of spray oil before I got it free. I have given the assembly a couple of coats of black spray paint but that's just to show willing - its not going to stop the rot (I'll wait until its warm and dry in the Summer). The bolt has been replaced with a stainless 8mm with a good dollop of 'Optimol TA' anti-sieze paste.

The real challenge was the bracket above the chassis cross-member. fortunately the diesel spill had reached it and it looked as though the bolts may come free if I could only get a suitable tool in there. To cut a long story short I ended-up with a six-point 12mm socket on an 18" power bar as that was the only combination that would work.

I sprayed the bolts with oil and gently tried loosening them and lo - they both turned :thumbup:.

I undid them half a turn (very tight), sprayed oil in behind and tightened them up. Undid them one turn and re-sprayed the shanks and did them up. This was going far too well and by the time I had got them about three full turns out both the heads snapped off :icon-evil:.

This gave me a real problem. I wanted to get the broken remains loose and screw them back into the cross-member where they would drop inside - leaving clean threads for new bolts. I carefully centre-punched them (at an angle of course) then tried drilling. I put a hole in one but it was nowhere straight and the second one was just impossible. about four hours later I called it a night and slept on it.

On day-2 I had another go then gave up, put a point on a piece of round steel bar and with a 2.5lb hammer broke the captive nuts free. They will be rattling about in the body cross-member for the remaining life of the car (whose life expectation was rapidly diminishing :icon-twisted:).

I then had to remove some thin steel overlay from around one of the holes to give a clear view. Then with a collection of nuts, washers and a bolt plus two spanners and a mole grip I was able to install a pair of 8mm stainless rivnuts into the chassis.

DSCN4058_zpscaaifjkr.jpg

Access was difficult and its not the neatest job I've done but its solid and will work :thumbup:.

DSCN4057_zpssxbc8o0y.jpg

Whilst getting the two bolts out and repairing the damage was difficult it was nothing compared with the job of getting the old pipework out. There was a point when I thought I was going to have to saw it up and remove it piecemeal, then cut the new one up and join it with rubber tubes.

It seems obvious, but Toyota must install the diesel tank and all the fitting to the underside of the body before dropping the body onto the chassis. I thought I was going to have to cut the body mountings free and lift it as there isn't enough room between the body cross-member and the chassis cross-member to wriggle the pipes out. If you have a 2" body lift you will have no problem :icon-wink:.

Then I had a thought, the body mounts are rubber and should give a bit so I stuck a large steel wrecking bar between the two cross-members and gave it all I had. This gave me just enough clearance to pull the pipes back into the void where the spare wheel hangs.

I had to cut the bracket in the wheel arch to free the pipes completely.

DSCN4054_zpstcrmijna.jpg

But eventually the old pipework was out.

DSCN4053_zpsdistwccz.jpg

The first thing I noticed was just how light it was, this thing has rotted away over its 13 year life and feels like it made of papier mache. It is porous for most of its length but there are no real holes in it, just pin-pricks all over.

Thankfully, the new one is more substantial but its still made of thin steel. Why not make them out of suitable plastic :icon-question: :?.

DSCN4055_zpsbhg9dlij.jpg

As all the books say "Assembly is the reverse procedure" and having everything clean with new stainless bolts makes it a bit of a doddle.

DSCN4062_zpsc7gbz43c.jpg

DSCN4063_zpski4pqitt.jpg

DSCN4065_zpsz2vt2tuh.jpg

DSCN4067_zps55nwtqqs.jpg

DSCN4068_zpsym2n112x.jpg

I bought a new rubber boot and locking ring for the filler cap surround.

DSCN4059_zps3l8wd6xm.jpg

DSCN4060_zpsktwjrbtl.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it fitted. Its a slightly different shape to the original and doesn't lie in the fitting as neatly as the old one - but its a minor point.

Then all that has to be done is to re-attach the mud shield, rear bumper and mud flap.

DSCN4069_zpsgwf7ftfb.jpg

DSCN4071_zpsljlmgc9e.jpg

And its 'Job Done' :thumbup:.

It took me nearly two full days to do this - most of the time spent trying to remove rusted bolts. At one point I thought of drilling a couple of holes through the body cross-member and hanging the pipes on cable ties. However, I couldn't live with such a bodge so persevered, thankfully, as its an OK job now.

Hopefully this will forewarn anyone contemplating doing this job - its a bit tricky in places :icon-wink:.

Bob.

Great job Bob.
1000 thanks (as we say up here) for sharing. It's just fantastic that you have the presence of mind to take pics, and take the time to document this for us.

Excellent Bob great report and pics, thanks....

I've just noticed the leak behind the rear wheel on my 95. The filler pipe is now porous. I might try split it and insert rubber pipe to bridge it for now. Certainly don't fancy the mammoth job that looks to replace it. Especially when I rely on it as a daily.

hmmm.. Thinking cap on...

I've got this job to do on the 80. It looks like it's leaking at the pint where it bolts to the floor cross member although nowhere near as bad as the one posted above.....yet. I'll probably get one from Milner's. http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota...port/hdj80-fuel-system/hdj80-fuel-filler-pipe It's slightly different to the one on the 100 and doesn't have the fixing point behind the mud shield aswell as being more expensive! The fixing bolt holding the thing on looks awkward to get at and probably seized but, being diesel, at least I can use some heat on the job.
I intended to piece the old one out with some rubber pipe but it's an odd size (43mm ID) and isn't readily available.

Last edited:
Bad of Toyota to make the 100 out of such poor steel. This looks almost as bad as the cars 60's cars I used to restore. And BTW it IS the poor steel quality.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So I've had a look in underneath and it's in bad shape. I don't think bridging it with hose will work. However the pipe on the 95 looks an awful lot easier than the 100. It's fairly straight, but joins to a rubber hose before it crosses the chassis rail. All accessible by removing the rear inner wheelarch section.

Priced it with Mr.T, and Milner.. including postage to Irleand it's half the price of picking it up in my local dealer. I'll post about it in the 90 section when I do it

I've just replaced the filler pipes in my '95', its a lot easier than the job with the '100'.

I also replaced the two straps that hold the tank and put in new pick-up and breather pipes as there were holes and the truck wouldn't start.

Having done all that - and it now runs beautifully - it failed its MOT with inner sill rot. That sounds like a 'body-off' job as be new sill is a monster.

At least the '100' passed and is 100% roadworthy :icon-wink:.

I'll put up pictures of the '95 tank repair' when I've fixed my BMW 100GS bike - I need that for the "Scottish pre-'65 trial" at kinlochleven next Friday (oil cooler self-destruct).

Bob.

Last edited:
Shocked by the amount of rust on the 100 body and chassis .....has it been used for launching boats or is it a Scottish problem ? Road salt ?
I recently had to repair a Case tractor that had spent it's previous life near Loch Lomond and was horrified by how rusty parts of it were compared to local versions of the same tractor , felt sorry for the young lad who had committed the cardinal sin of buying unseen apart from pics from the supplying dealer, in this instance unlikely to be road salt so just a salt laden atmosphere ?

Loch Lomond is fresh water and has won acclaim in the part for it's purity.

Hi Grimbo,

What a fantastic part of the world you live in, is Loch Lomond a fresh or salt water Loch? If it’s fresh then perhaps the tractor could have done with a dunk every now and then to wash the road salt off.

Fresh water and it is a beautiful area .........but I live 500-600 miles south of Loch Lomond ......I live next door to Winnie The Pooh .....Kanga is our neighbour .
I think that the Sea mists in and around the coast of Scotland may well have contributed to the state of the poor old Case tractor that moved along way south for the winter or it's retirement

Yep , we blame Eeyore ........he can often be seen trying to sell it finely ground into a white powder around Forest Row.....

Hi Guys, Ive had the same problem but replaced both the steel pipes with special diesel fuel hose very easy job.. hope this helps other readers of this post..

Hi Guys, Ive had the same problem but replaced both the steel pipes with special diesel fuel hose very easy job.. hope this helps other readers of this post..

Iv got mines to do aswell and am thinking go the proper rubber hose route.

I recently changed the tank and filler pipes. I had spares from my parts car, so I used the standard steel filling pipes. It is possible to put it in without lifting the body from the frame, but it took a long time trying out all weird angles, directions and rotations before it went in. I think I spent 1 hour, but if I did it every day it could be done in 30 sec. Can't see any problem with using hoses instead. Probably the cheapest and fastest if you don't have the parts already.

I recently changed the tank and filler pipes. I had spares from my parts car, so I used the standard steel filling pipes. It is possible to put it in without lifting the body from the frame, but it took a long time trying out all weird angles, directions and rotations before it went in. I think I spent 1 hour, but if I did it every day it could be done in 30 sec. Can't see any problem with using hoses instead. Probably the cheapest and fastest if you don't have the parts already.
Yes the hoses work very well and of course they won't suffer with rust in the future ..

Having read this article, I successfully removed old pipe with no bolt breakage, thankfully, will put some decent paint on new pipe prior to fitting. Thanks for a great informative article to help complete such an arduous task :))

Have you ever thought of putting all your superb write ups into a manual Bob? (like Haynes but better!)
I changed the filler pipe on my 100 a couple of years ago and hit all the same problems but I was lucky enough to salvage one of the two bolts on the x member. The splash shield had also done its job well so that was another corrosion job to add to the list!
As Uhu says you can change the pipe without lifting the body but you need the patience of a saint! I didn’t want to cut the old one up so that if it did come out in one piece I would at least know the new one would go in!
I spent ages trying different ways then it just gave up the fight and it was out!
The new one went in so easily I couldn’t believe my luck!
So I tackled the corrosion job behind the splash shield during the lockdown ( I tend to do strange things once boredom really sets in!) once I had a good look at it I decided the only way was to take the inner trim out and get the air saw out!
As is usually the case on these 100’s if you strip the factory underseal back far enough the steel round the corroded area is like new, I probably went a bit over the top with the size of the patch but at least it won’t need doing again!

Attachments

• B238CAEC-C5E7-47DE-B073-81996C4BB3BC.jpeg
    B238CAEC-C5E7-47DE-B073-81996C4BB3BC.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 67334A1C-AACE-4733-A075-F2E11889DBA1.jpeg
    67334A1C-AACE-4733-A075-F2E11889DBA1.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 44
Excellent article Bob! I also changed tank and filler neck and found if I removed the bracket that holds breather and filler together and clamps to body above X member the filler pipe fits in with ''relative'' ease. Be sure to take a photo of bracket position and orientation before removal!! I learned the hard way.

Back