Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

retro fitting JDM electric folding mirrors

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
I did this a while ago now and use the folding mirrors all the time. I can appreciate that no one will probably do the mod, but i thought id document it before i forgot it completely!
I bought a pair of electric folding mirrors off ebay, after messing about with them for a while on the bench it became clear i would need the control module. This is located in the passenger door on jdm cruisers. I also got hold of a dash switch.

Photo0077.jpg

Try and get the plug that goes into the control module, this will make life easier. The numbers on the module in the diagram can be seen inside the socket.downloadfile.jpeg

The dash switch is the same as the standard one other than the button to fold the mirrors, this has one wire coming off the back which sends a signal to the control module. I slotted a connector into the back of my existing switch connector.

Photo0072.jpg

Photo0073.jpg

All of the toyota connectors can be added to or dismantled. I have a few old looms for making up connectors on jobs like this. I put connectors in the kick panels if the doors have to come off.

Photo0095.jpg

Photo0115.jpg

Connecting up the wires from the module plug to my wires running to the connector that ends in the doors and then plugs into the mirror connector.

Photo0081.jpg
in the picture above my existing mirror connector can be seen, these wires are cut and then soldered to the same coloured wires on the "new" folding mirror connector.
Photo0082.jpg

Photo0078.jpg

I normally run stuff back to the fuse box, but on this occasion i took my live from the window switch. The inline fuse i put on can be accessed from inside the arm rest

Photo0096.jpg

New polythene and job done.

Photo0144.jpg

Oh, the jap wiring diagram was from mot off ih8mud.

On a side note dont let them be "tested" by firing 12 volts through them randomly.if shorted this strip will burn out, this fix worked for six months..Photo0126.jpg

Photo0124.jpg

It then failed. Not wanting to start again i got hold of a doner mirror and solderied the pcb in.

20150404_161208.jpg

Last edited:
Super job and one that I have always wanted to do. However, having seen this now I am not sure I have the will anymore.

Cheers mate.

This should make the job easyier not harder! Im not too good with electrics, it just needs patients.

Sorry about some of the pic oriantation, can they be rotated?

No they can't but they can be made to fold in and out

Ha ha ha

I will definitely do this mod and have asked Karl for a set of mirrors, he did say he had a couple but one was a bit....'iffy'?

He has a list of stuff as long as his arm I am waiting for but he has gone to ground, hope he is all right, anyone know?

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I'm still here Dave.
Mike text last night and said you were asking.

Ill get get catching up. Least you havnt parted with any pennies.
Speak soon

karls obviously first choice dave, but if he cant help with some of the bits there is a control module on ebay at the moment and i think a dash switch.

Hi Chris, yep Karl has helped me out before and sent over good stuff so I try to put the 'dinero' his way, I saw the parts on ebay and added them to my 'watch list' although not my highest priority, thanks mate.

Hi Karl, good to hear you have not fell off the planet, summer has come early and I try not to go out too work after midday if I can help it, already 42 C here. This gives me some spare time to work in the underground garage on the car in the afternoon so get back asap mate. I have just spent another 500 quid on bit's and pieces and the LC budget is getting low, also remember I am poor, live in shoe box at side o road, eat gravel for breakfast..........

regards

Dave

Saved you a job steve! The last picture, upside down... shows the base of the pivot mech, the pcb board which can burn out if mistreated, and motor.

Back