Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RHD to LHD frame conversion is it difficul?

ceckus

Country Flag
lithuania
Hi! In Lithuania we have LHD cars, but my frame has big rust issues, and one person offered me new one, but it is from RHD car. Is it very difficult to convert RHD frame to LHD? Everything (axles, steering column and other bits) will stay mine, I would change only the frame.

Hi Ceckus and welcome,

Logically it should be straight forward to put the RHD chassis under your truck but you may have to drill a few new holes - e.g. for the steering box.

I can't see any other problems, although I have never done it, because the only area when ordering parts that request RHD or LHD is on steering components so if there were other changes then that would be needed when buying replacement bits.

It is probably worth checking out one of the detailed parts suppliers listings before finally committing to the new chassis, just to be sure.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Rodger

Assuming its a typical 4x4 ladder frame a good welder could repair your own because its only metal but he would much rather work with new metal and there can't be a lot of difference between lhd and rhd because it wouldn't be cost effective on the production line .

I'd crawl underneath and have a look on a Defender there isn't but I don't know about the 70 series chassis.

I'm not 100% sure on this but what Roger says sounds right. The biggest obstacle to changing sides is the tub.

If you're dropping a LHD tub onto a RHD axle there might be issues if some of the mounts are asymmetrical. Iwan might know.

I think some of the mount points differ on versions fitted with VM engines and 3B engines.

I might lift the tub off your rusted chassis anyway if only to take a look at the rust.

You can then compare them directly and if there are any differences using them side by side to fabricate/transfer bits/measurements over.

Good luck

Back