Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rims and tyres

Kris80

Country Flag
malta
I have a 2003 prado equipped with 285 standard tyres on 20" rims, this is how it was when I bought it from someone. I gather it usually comes with smaller rims so I imagine they were changed out at some point to give it a different look. Im not an offroader but will be doing some green-laning and frequent unpaved country roads in rainy conditions so I thought I am considering all-terrain tyres, also for the look. I prefer the less 'executive car' look of 17" but too hefty an expense to change both tyres and rims. Do the larger rims effect the car performance in any way?

Bigger wheels (and therefore less rubber) will give a harsher ride but in theory a bit more control - as you've got less sidewall to flex as you go around corners.

Having said that, a 120 isn't a racing car and I wouldn't recommend offroading with 20" wheels!

With such big wheels, your choice of (AT) tyres will also be more limited.

They might suit a car thats 99% on tarmac better - maybe you could revert to stock 17s and sell the existing ones?

Last edited:
I probably do 99% tarmac as its my daily drive. So I'm wondering whether keeping the 20" and fitting AT tyres on may be my best option, especially as I'm not ready for the expense of changing all tyres and all rims. Thanks for the insight on this karl2000.

Back