Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania, Retizat and the Transalpina (Take 2)

clivehorridge

Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
romania
I can't change history so it's copy-paste from the last attempt. Here goes...

Day 1 - Thursday 15 August 2013

Thursday was Saint Mary’s Day and rather surprisingly to me, the Romanian Government declared it a National Holiday. We have had a heat-wave for the last 10 weeks or so with temperatures up to 38 and 40 degrees C and we though it a good idea to get out of the City and to change our routine of going to the house up-country every weekend. So,a colleague friend of mine Florin and his wife Adina & 2 kids Alexandra and Andrei (in a Skoda Octavia) and me with my wife Aura & 1 kid Ana (in the mighty 80) decided to take Friday as leave and make a long weekend of it. Florinwanted to go to the Retizat Mountains and I wanted to drive the length of the Transalpina. Strange thing though, I don’t remember either of us asking our wives where they wanted to go, so anyway, we did both. My wife Aura did, in passing, say that if we were going in that direction, she would like to see the Monastery “Manastirea Prislop” not too far from Hateg. We set off from Bucharest at 08:00 on Thursday morning and we were soon out onto the A1 Motorway and passing Pitesti, on to the DN7 (E81) and on our way to Ramnica Valcea. Then we headed North to a village called Brezoi, where we turned left onto the DN7a.

What a great road this was, twisting and winding with hairpin turns, steep climbsand all of it through mountain forests.

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

We passed streams and lakes (Lacul Malaia) and we had a few stops on the way.

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1180.jpg

Eventually we stopped at Lacul Vidra to stretch our legs.

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1167.jpg

IMG_1169.jpg

We then pressed on and over the County Border into Hunedoara and onwards to the town of Petrosani. Here we turned left onto the DN66 (E79) and soon left again onto the DN66a, passing through the mining towns of Aninoasa, Vulcan, Lupeni and Uricani.
How depressing these places are. The fall of communism 24 years ago, now showing the decline that sets in when the free market economy is left in free-fall. Empty blocks and worst still, half empty blocks where the empty apartments had been robbed of fixtures to keep the remaining inhabited apartments running, asthere’s no money for maintenance. The mines are all but shut down now and the depressing sight of dereliction, abandoned buildings, rusted mineshaft winding-houses and poverty was everywhere. After passing Uricani, we were back into nature and within a few kilometres we passed Valea de Pesti (reservoir) and Campul lui Neag (a man-made almost circular lake) and on to a very "missable" right turn onto a stone track which after a few kilometres took us to our destination “Complex Turistic Cabana Cheile Butii”. Joy of joys, it was raining! How fantastic after the drought and temperatures that we’ve had! The smell of fresh wet grass and pine trees was almost overwhelming.

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

All of these photos were taken at various times over the two days that we were there.

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0330.jpg

The electric winding gear of an old ski drag, which I presume is still working in the Winter months.

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0512.jpg

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

I tried to capture the reflections in the stream with the ipad

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

This photo is upside down for effect (my wife's legs are not really that wobbly...)
IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2069.jpg

A group of bikers had arrived just before us. Brave guys, it’s a long haul on an enduro all the way from the Czech Republic.

IMG_1198.jpg

We’d covered about 400 kilometers and we were a little weary, but we were on holidayand the bar was open!

A few beers later, it had gone dark and we were all sleeping!

Day 2 to follow...

Attachments

• DSC_0052.jpg
    DSC_0052.jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0030.jpg
    DSC_0030.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0031.jpg
    DSC_0031.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1164.jpg
    IMG_1164.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_0331.jpg
    DSC_0331.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2061.jpg
    IMG_2061.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2066.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    572.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    550.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1191.jpg
    IMG_1191.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Success! Some great pictures there Clive, you had me fooled with one, the picture of the front top of a building followed by another of a river, I thought at first it was a picture of a covered bridge over the river :lol:

Last edited:
looks great - interesting some rivers were flowing with a lot of water - and looked good for a spot of fishing and the other was dry

that ski tow doesnt look like it has been used for a while, as small trees were growing on the track, unless they just get buried by snow in the winter :)

Thanks Andy and Chas, but the thread still fell apart at the end, and I can't edit it into shape... again! :icon-evil:

I was also falling asleep at the end, waking up intermittently with my fingers on the keyboard! :lol:

It went very smoothly up to then and I was very pleased, but now there's just a jumble of pictures at the end instead of them following the text. I'll try to have another go at it. :think: and I'm still only on day 1 of 4 days! Goodness knows how Ben gets on with his mammoth posts!

Great post Clive - thanks. There is some nice scenery.

There was a programme on the Travel channel last night about the Carpathians. It focused mostly on Transylvania. There were some great scenes with bears and the problem of wolves was mentioned. They visited some old villages that have been restored by the villagers themselves and then went on to discuss the exploitation of the forests and the problem that brings versus the immediate economic needs of the country .

Thanks for sharing Clive, some great pics there. :thumbup:

I've got 300+ pics to post on my next update, so will take a few hours just to copy and paste all the links across for the pics and writing the text. :sleeping-sleep:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Great post Clive - thanks. There is some nice scenery.

There was a programme on the Travel channel last night about the Carpathians. It focused mostly on Transylvania. There were some great scenes with bears and the problem of wolves was mentioned. They visited some old villages that have been restored by the villagers themselves and then went on to discuss the exploitation of the forests and the problem that brings versus the immediate economic needs of the country .

Hi Reinhard, there are bears not too far from me, say 20 minutes up the road to Sinaia. Problem is there's not enough natural food for them in the forests anymore, so they come down to the villages to rob the bins. Then they get into trouble upsetting the neighbours and the next thing someone gets hurt. Tourists are fools too. Particularly when they're warned of the bears with signs and goodness knows what and then you see them getting close to them with their cameras... One swipe from a hungry bear, or one with cubs, and they can take your face off. People think they're tame but they are not.

Forestry is a big shame here. There are millions of hectares and its all being cut and sold off to the Chinese as fast as they can cut it. Ecologically it's a disaster and there's nothing to stop them. The deals are done at Gvt level and nobody cares. My Father in law is an ex Secretary of State for Forestry (he's 93 now) but he's absolutely gutted by the way the greedy bstards in Gvt are just lining their own pockets at the peril of the forests. It's a disgrace.

Wonderful place though, I'm very fortunate to be living here. :lol:

Thanks for sharing Clive, some great pics there. :thumbup:

I've got 300+ pics to post on my next update, so will take a few hours just to copy and paste all the links across for the pics and writing the text. :sleeping-sleep:

Cheers Ben!

Looking forward to your post when you have the time.:icon-biggrin:

I get so far with uploading pics, the preview looks good and then I find that half the pics are outside the thread as attached thumbs. It wont give me access to delete them and neither can I upload more to complete the post.

It's very annoying.

Thanks the nice pictures!

Welcome Romi! :icon-biggrin:

Some pictures of Uzghorod would be good. You might have to build up your post numbers before you can upload, but I'd be interested!

Cheers.

Beautiful scenery you have there Clive. It does look amazing with the rivers and mountains around you. Keep the pictures coming, definitely a place I would like to visit. Your truck looks very tidy too, well worth the work you havedone to it.
Cheers, Mark

Is the wild life a problem when wild camping - obviously with precautions re food and waste? Or is wild camping not done because of the bears and wolves?

Shame about the pocket lining! Apparently the Romanian forests are the oldest European forests, so while the loss is the greatest for the Romanians, it is also a loss for the rest of Europe.

Hi Reinhard, there are bears not too far from me, say 20 minutes up the road to Sinaia. Problem is there's not enough natural food for them in the forests anymore, so they come down to the villages to rob the bins. Then they get into trouble upsetting the neighbours and the next thing someone gets hurt. Tourists are fools too. Particularly when they're warned of the bears with signs and goodness knows what and then you see them getting close to them with their cameras... One swipe from a hungry bear, or one with cubs, and they can take your face off. People think they're tame but they are not.

Forestry is a big shame here. There are millions of hectares and its all being cut and sold off to the Chinese as fast as they can cut it. Ecologically it's a disaster and there's nothing to stop them. The deals are done at Gvt level and nobody cares. My Father in law is an ex Secretary of State for Forestry (he's 93 now) but he's absolutely gutted by the way the greedy bstards in Gvt are just lining their own pockets at the peril of the forests. It's a disgrace.

Wonderful place though, I'm very fortunate to be living here. :lol:

Last edited:
Lots of wild camping, everywhere you go you see people camped by rivers and at clearings in the forests. Its like a national pastime!!

The logging is an awful shame though, sadly what a lot of Western Europeans don't realise is that an awful lot of the forestry is not in national parks at all, the brutal industrial logging that has taken place in Western Europe since WW2 didn't really happen, at least not on the same scale, behind the 'Iron Curtain'.

@Clive,
are you sure its the Chinese behind a lot of the logging?
When I was in Bosnia last year, the number one exporters of 'illegally logged' timber were the Italians, with the Germans at no.2.
I'm just curious because there are quite a few Italian enterprises of the cattle variety moving to Romania at the moment, as in shippers and exporters.

I'm NOT SOME RAVING TREE HUGGER BY THE WAY! Quite a lot of my business is based around live cattle export, I'm just surmising really. And I think the EU isn't far behind the Chinese in the damage it does in developing countries, it just has better spin doctors!!

Welcome Romi! :icon-biggrin:

Some pictures of Uzghorod would be good. You might have to build up your post numbers before you can upload, but I'd be interested!

Cheers.

Thanks! Yes, i now thiss! Uzghorod is i think not to much intresting, but oure nature is intresting and nice, like your in Romania!
And i hawe so much nice pictures! If will be have 15 posts, will start upload!
In future hope visit your country!

Beautiful scenery you have there Clive. It does look amazing with the rivers and mountains around you. Keep the pictures coming, definitely a place I would like to visit. Your truck looks very tidy too, well worth the work you havedone to it.
Cheers, Mark

Thanks Mark!

It's never looked "tidy" so that's a hell of a complement!

Plenty more pics if nobody's bored yet! :think:

Lots of wild camping, everywhere you go you see people camped by rivers and at clearings in the forests. Its like a national pastime!!

The logging is an awful shame though, sadly what a lot of Western Europeans don't realise is that an awful lot of the forestry is not in national parks at all, the brutal industrial logging that has taken place in Western Europe since WW2 didn't really happen, at least not on the same scale, behind the 'Iron Curtain'.

@Clive,
are you sure its the Chinese behind a lot of the logging?
When I was in Bosnia last year, the number one exporters of 'illegally logged' timber were the Italians, with the Germans at no.2.
I'm just curious because there are quite a few Italian enterprises of the cattle variety moving to Romania at the moment, as in shippers and exporters.

I'm NOT SOME RAVING TREE HUGGER BY THE WAY! Quite a lot of my business is based around live cattle export, I'm just surmising really. And I think the EU isn't far behind the Chinese in the damage it does in developing countries, it just has better spin doctors!!

It's not actually illegal. These are contracted sales organized by those in authority her. It's a quite deliberate sell off of resources! That's why it's so hard to stop. Not onl the Chinese, but as you say the Italians and many others. I wasn't singling them out intentionally.

The illegal logging are mostly locals getting some firewood and some building lumber. No big deal really.

Is the wild life a problem when wild camping - obviously with precautions re food and waste? Or is wild camping not done because of the bears and wolves?

Shame about the pocket lining! Apparently the Romanian forests are the oldest European forests, so while the loss is the greatest for the Romanians, it is also a loss for the rest of Europe.

Not that I know of Reinhard, I've not heard of problems with campers for some reason. The bears and wolves are not really interested in people, just food. Some simple precautions maybe, sealing food in airtight containers woul reduce the chance of them following a scent.

I haven't camped much yet and now my daughter is 5 (tomorrow) I do plan to get a RTT. That in itself would put us out of (easy) reach. :think: (maybe).

Another complement! Thanks Gary! Normally I get comments as to what a wreck it looks. She's 18 this year, just coming into bloom!

It does actually look like you went and got a new one in the same spec, they did a lovely job.

Back