Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof box recommendations

cmcmill01

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
My well used Fapa roof box has finally given up the ghost.
I'm looking for any recommendations on a flat base black roof box, as you can see from the picture the Fapa one had a front dip to make it more aerodynamic. Seems the new ones have the dip at the front and back.
anybody have experience with the halford Exodus??
Also need to be able to mount onto roof rack and not rails.
cheers
Craig

image.jpeg

I'm looking for a full width, say 3/4 length (full size ARB rack) roof box, not necessarily streamlined, one that can hold traditionally shaped suitcases and other luggage. The canvas rain cover I have is a PITA to attach/detach each time and there's no protection from the wet underneath.

Can't find anything useful.

Thanks Scott, I may look into these...

My problem is, even with the bigger boxes, they're so streamlined that the internal dimension of max 44cm, is only effective in an area the size of one smallish suitcase.

With 6 passengers on board, I may get 2 cases in the back of the truck, but the other 4?

And folks coming from overseas for a week or 10 days don't travel light, trust me!

The rack is enormous, but protecting them from a heavy downpour is a potential problem when we live an hour and a half from the airport.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know what you mean re the streamlining eating into the available space, but some of them don't look too bad on this point. The same firm also suggest two tall medium size roof boxes could be more suitable than one large one. Could this help accommodate the suit cases?

Could your visitors bring bags instead of ridge suitcases? Would make squeezing them in a bit easier.

What's this rain you speak of? I thought you were either bathed in sun or buried under snow!

I know what you mean re the streamlining eating into the available space, but some of them don't look too bad on this point. The same firm also suggest two tall medium size roof boxes could be more suitable than one large one. Could this help accommodate the suit cases?

Could your visitors bring bags instead of ridge suitcases? Would make squeezing them in a bit easier.

What's this rain you speak of? I thought you were either bathed in sun or buried under snow!

The sun is shining now Scott, will be till September, but that and the 36C that goes with it brings thunder storms, the like of which are quite amazing.

We don't get too many, but one is enough when you're carrying someone else's luggage. I guess you're right, it's not everyone that has the same rectangular cases, some will have rucksacks and holdalls, I was just trying to find something a bit more utility than the 'saloon-car' type teardrops.

Seems a lot of expense for a one off mate couldn't you just put each case in a plastic sack and gaffa tape it .

Seems a lot of expense for a one off mate couldn't you just put each case in a plastic sack and gaffa tape it .

Well that's what I'm doing at the moment Shayne, as a one off I wouldn't mind but it's a hit of a bind every weekend bin-bag wrap there and again coming back.

Last weekend I had 7 in the truck and probably as many bags on the roof with one thing or another. Took a chance on the way home but the heavens opened with a deluge with 3 km to go.

Surprising how wet stuff got in such a short time.

I'll keep my eyes peeled, something may show.

Back