Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof Rack, Help required

Jake the Peg

Country Flag
scotland
Much appreciated if anyone can help

I have the chance of an aluminium Front Runner roof rack, for a decent price, and local to me. Its come from a defender 90, does anyone know if it will be of a suitable size for my 80?
Unfortunately for me I'm in Denmark for the next 3 1/2 weeks so cant go to look or measure my truck

Thanks in advance

John

you can always buy the bits seperately to make it longer, and the feet which you'll probably need anyway. I guess the important bit is checking how wide it is. my truck is outside if you want a measurement but i did make mine longer to fit the tent on.

Thanks, that would be fantastic if you wouldn’t mind :blush: mind and don’t get wet doing it and follow up with a brew:thumbup:

929D2179-D2AE-4351-93BC-69AC7402B46A.png

So any rack that is between 135 and 140 will do. Under 135 and it's a pain to fit but possible

You need to check the length and ensure your happy where it will end up

The legs will certainly be to high for the 80 but can be chopped or new legs purchased

Send the sizes and happy to give a better idea

length of my rack
20191125_164829.jpg
width of the rack
20191125_164703.jpg
how it looks on the truck
20190803_101806.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a earlier version of the frontrunner that's welded so you cant add the extra bits so easily

That looks very similar to mine, complete with the load holders, however mine has 11 slats rather than 9. I’ve just been out and measured mine and it is 220cm long and 140cm wide. 2 slats measure 40cm so i’d guess that is 180cm x 140 (note GUESS)
Can the seller confirm the dimensions for you? Then we can give a better idea of fit

You guys are absolute stars, I appreciate the help hugely!
I recently rejoined another forum as I bought an another Audi as a project, but there’s really not a lot of technical knowledge people are willing to share there.

This forum and the Yamaha RDLC are genuinely full of enthusiasts willing to help, give yourselves a large pat on the back
30730225-DDDC-4451-9522-35E19523E2F5.jpeg
560EAA45-DAED-429D-83F0-2F4354F0D18C.jpeg
C5547AB2-B0AB-4D8C-9772-19818D2FF62C.jpeg

So they feet can be moved inward but from the sizes it looks like it is a little wider tben the 140 mark.

That length on a 80 series will look like a 3/4 length which i quite like and had on mine.

Cant remember the exact figures but 140 high will clear the roof 85% sure....

Thanks for the replies, with the width I think it will look like a helipad, hanging over the side! a 3/4 length look I think is quite cool and would allow me to still open the sunroof!

I’ll likely pass on it unless it’s still for sale when I get home and can go to try it on top

Cheers

The 80 I have just brought has a half ARB rack on it, and I don't like the look of it at all

I bought a similar Roofrack for my 80 and was told it was for a LC80. At the price I paid I thought it was worth a gamble.

In hindsight I think it was from a discovery 1 or 2. The legs were way too tall. I managed to find a set of replacement legs (size 2 I think) on eBay for £60 for the set (normally £50 a pair I think).

the next challenge I had was that I then worked out that the rack was slightly too narrow (30-40mm) so I made some adaptor brackets.

In summary I am still very happy with my rack. I think the welded ones are stronger and I still think I got a good deal.

there is an advantage with one that you have shown us being oversized in that you can turn it upside down and thus reduce the height of the rack (helps with parking garage).

I’ve been neglecting my 80 for the last while, while I was completing another project, but now it’s time to get back to it and get it prepared for the family adventures, if we get some freedom!
Has anyone got a roof rack from direct 4x4, there is a steel full basket one for sale locally, 1.8m version. The guy had it fitted to his old Colorado. It has the 5” brackets, will these fit over the Mr T rack already fitted?
Appreciate any pictures if anybody has this size fitted

Expedition Steel Full Basket Roof Rack - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

cheers

J

Made up some brackets and set it on! I didn’t want to remove the original rack installed so I have further options, but mau try to lower this one a bit. Haven’t been out for a nois test yet.
Not a bad £100 I guess!
59520661-8929-4785-8C90-5D63B771A63A.jpeg

Only an FYI.

Beware the 80 has been known to crack at the C pillars if you cannot spread the load/weight.

Regards

Dave

Only an FYI.

Beware the 80 has been known to crack at the C pillars if you cannot spread the load/weight.

Regards

Dave
Thanks for the advice Dave, I don’t expect us to have too much up there, but it will let us have the children’s bikes in the boot and likely the tent in a bag up there!
cheers

John

Back