Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof rack question

Ecky Thump

Garage
Hi all

I obtained the roof rack shown below and i'm intrigued as to the make etc if anyone knows.
It is a very sturdy aluminium rack that seems tailor made for the 80 or at least the removable mounts are tailor made.
I have clambered all over it and it doesn't flex even a tiny bit, although I'm only hobbit size as Tommo keeps reminding me.

The ladder came with it but I don't know if they are the same manufacturer or not.

Sorry about the pictures but one is from a window at work and the other just before a thunder storm.

Rack.jpg

Rack2.jpg

Nice looking roof crate Les...

I have made several ebay bids on crates like that without success (trying to get a real deal!!!) & a lot seem to come fitted to imports like Delicas.

I ended up designing my own full length one & getting my buddy to weld it up for me - it currently sits on roof bars but I want to make purpose built clamps like those in the fullness of time...

But in answer to your original question, can't help... :oops: Sorry :cool:

That's not a roof rack.... that's a picnic basket :D

This is a roof rack :D

tonka.jpg

roofrack.jpg

PS did you and Dibble have the same instructor for the reverse parking :o ;) :D

PS did you and Dibble have the same instructor for the reverse parking :o ;) :D

I was trying to hide the ''Police vehicles only'' sign I was parked in front of :lol:

And my picnic basket has sides on it at least.

EDIT--- and I thought I was the only one with four spots on the front :evil:

Ecky Thump said:
And my picnic basket has sides on it at least.
Mine does now too + a 70 litre water tank... that's an old photo ;)

Ecky Thump said:
EDIT--- and I thought I was the only one with four spots on the front :evil:
Those have come off now, I have a ARB winch bumper fitted and wasn't happy with the spots blocking the air flow either... it's going to be damn hot in Morocco in August :o

i "think" that its a genuine part- i have exactly the same one that came off an import, and the bloke who imported the vehicle said the rack came with it.

Its lovely and sturdy, really heavy duty, but it isn't the easiest to use without a ladder- which i don't have.

Does anyone know of a ladder for an 80 series?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers for that Pugwash

When you are as short as me you need a ladder just to get in the cab.
I was lucky that the rack and the ladder came as one.

I know Stef is looking for a ladder so it may pay you to speak to him, just in case he comes across two.

New here, just come over from the ELCO list - can't beat Patriot roof racks imho - their website isn't great and shows mostly LRs but they do racks and light brackets etc. My car is an 80 series.

Just a thought.

Welcome to the forum Jeremy.

Partriot are certainly suppliers of nice equipment... If you can afford it ;-)

Cheers

doesn't everyone just stand on the back tyre to save having a ladder?

Gavlad said:
Partriot are certainly suppliers of nice equipment... If you can afford it ;-)

True - I guess it depends how you want to spend your fine hard-earned English £. I like Patriot racks because they're adaptable and fantastically well made. And I needed something good to bolt my awning to, perhaps the best 'overland' item purchased.

Absofeckinlutely ;-) I wasn't knocking it - I'd love to have one on top of MUX... I came close on a couple of ebay items a while back but they got out of my reach quite quickly :-(

I ended up getting my fabricator buddy a load of aluminium parts & he built me one while he was quiet...

Gavlad said:
I ended up getting my fabricator buddy a load of aluminium parts & he built me one while he was quiet...

what happened to the pictures then? :mrgreen:

I goofed... :lol:

Must get some taken... I actually took it off last week for the first time since it went on last year (so I could get into the carpark at Manchester airport!!!) & its now propping up our house

It looks a sight longer off the truck than on!!!

Here's a teaser shot from our half-term trip last year...

22052009394.jpg

Basically a crate but full length & width for the Colorado - currently mounted on roof bars but I want to make my own gutter cleats to drop it down a bit... Then its in for powder coating :)

Watch out for action man in the foreground - what a star!!! :)

Looks good gav, what did you do for the floor, side to side or front to back?

Front to back Jon - I used some aluminium extrusions that are designed for coach building on trucks... I wanted to find the extrusion that Patriot do but I couldn't find it anywhere...

Now, if I can find it... YOU CAN ALL HAVE ONE!!! ;-)

I'm TIG'less at the moment but that could the next item on my tool shopping list so I can mess with some alli projects like a Mk V rack :lol: Not sure how much heavier a steel rack is though once you've made an alli rack strong enough to lean on trees with :? From another thread it sounded like you've got quite a bit of wind resistance with that rack? (hope Les doesn't mind this hijack :mrgreen: )

Back