Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof rack structural advice needed

nick_the_fish

Supporter
Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Guys,

I need to alter the roof rack to allow for a Hannibal family roof tent to be installed.

Its a Front Runner expedition 2.3m roof rack with welded side rails at the front. However to allow for the tent to open I need to grind of part of the rail as per the photo below. This will weaken the roof rack slightly, however bearing in mind I will then bolt on a stiff piece of 18mm marine ply as per the base of the roof tent this will add back in significant stiffening and therefore I personally don't see the removal of the rails as problem.

IMG_8706.JPG

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on this, or if you think it'll be a problem?

Thanks in advance

N

I would cut the entire upper rail right off...unless you have some other purpose in mind for the upper rail?
my 2 c worth....

Just been past your place Nick. You left the garage door open!

Is the rack alloy? That makes things harder welding wise.

Does the tent HAVE to go at the front? Could you add a simple additional leg at the front. Not a complex clamping thing, just a support?

Just cut it off.
I had a 2,7 m frontrunner windcheetah without the side rails. Doesn't move at all.

Thanks @rob rule @Firewout my thoughts exactly.

It does @Chris in as much as the tent is 2m long and 1.2m wide when folded down (2m x 2.4m when open) so the rail has to come off otherwise it'll be overhanging the end by a good 60cm!

Thanks for the input guys. Very much appreciated.

You know where I is if you want a hand mate

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nick, why not just move to roof bars instead of a rack? With a 2m base, are you going to still have space up there for anything else? Also moving to bars is likely going to.save you a few kg i weight.

Good suggestion GoK. A few reasons really, firstly I should have 30cm of free space - enough for the dutch oven, bbq and maybe a double jerry can holder if we overhang it a bit. Also the cost, which I could do without. Finally the roof rack had 8 supports to spread the weight, which I think is quite important given the roof tent is quite heavy.

However I do like your out of the box thinking. I'll get the angle grinder out in a few days and let rip.

Back