Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof tent for 1 ?

toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
Been looking at Roof tents for years now and vowed i'd never get one.
I like the look of the hard-shell James Baroud ones, but i fancy a narrower base for a single sleeper,'cause it's just for sleeping.
I think the JB Discovery is 148 cms wide,i was hoping for about 110 cms ish?

Who has experience of a 'single' Roof tent,with side ladder not blocking the rear side door?
Cheers

[+1 dog downstairs in the back of a 120 series]

The Maggi I just sold was a 1.2m wide one ( the narrowest I think) as I think they go 1.2,1.4 and 1.6 m wide. It was no prob with the 2 of us in it, but be a breeze with one.

Its a gamble anyway i've searched alibaba 100 times at least and so many similar but not the same its anyone's guess who is copying or stealing pics from who and what i might actually be sent .

20190624_082312-1.jpg
The Maggi I just sold was a 1.2m wide one ( the narrowest I think) as I think they go 1.2,1.4 and 1.6 m wide. It was no prob with the 2 of us in it, but be a breeze with one.

What's a Maggi mate?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Maggiolina
20190601_054503.jpg

I can safely say that I wouldn't want another person up in mine, room for 1 only

That's a shame Nick. I've just got off the phone with Jennifer Aniston and she was asking for your number and whether you were going this weekend. I told her no, obviously. She was gutted. I mean like proper crying and everything.

That's a shame Nick. I've just got off the phone with Jennifer Aniston and she was asking for your number and whether you were going this weekend. I told her no, obviously. She was gutted. I mean like proper crying and everything.

Ha, I nearly covered the lap top with coffee, :lol:

OK mate I'll ring her back.

On a more serious note (really?) the hardshell type tents in my view are better suited to what I call 'stop and pop' travelling where you aren't actually camping, you're driving and needing somewhere to sleep one night at a time. They take minimal setting up and taking down and are more aerodynamic in general. They are better suited to one person because of their more common side access meaning that you've got to climb over your lass at 03.00 in the morning to get out for a Jimmy after 14 pints of cheap lager. You can camp in them when the weather is decent but when it's poor you can't really sit up there in comfort.

Now one thing to consider (not with a lift up back door though) is the clamshell type. You get more headroom at one end and being rear entry you can get in without waking the missus (no, leave it!) They aren't very high inside and you'll need the width to swing your legs about to get your sock and trousers on. If it's too narrow you won't be able to get the ladder up to it because of the roof line.

As for going really narrow, you may as well get a Thule roof box and put a duvet in it.

As for going really narrow, you may as well get a Thule roof box and put a duvet in it.

The same thought led me to the one i posted , while its only 120cm wide on the rack closed when open its 1520cm wide , and because we sleep parallel to the back seat it also leaves room on the rack storage in front or behind the tent , on an 80 anyway .

OK mate I'll ring her back.

On a more serious note (really?) the hardshell type tents in my view are better suited to what I call 'stop and pop' travelling where you aren't actually camping, you're driving and needing somewhere to sleep one night at a time. They take minimal setting up and taking down and are more aerodynamic in general. They are better suited to one person because of their more common side access meaning that you've got to climb over your lass at 03.00 in the morning to get out for a Jimmy after 14 pints of cheap lager. You can camp in them when the weather is decent but when it's poor you can't really sit up there in comfort.

Now one thing to consider (not with a lift up back door though) is the clamshell type. You get more headroom at one end and being rear entry you can get in without waking the missus (no, leave it!) They aren't very high inside and you'll need the width to swing your legs about to get your sock and trousers on. If it's too narrow you won't be able to get the ladder up to it because of the roof line.

All of this! We had a roof tent originally, then went clam shell JB, now back to a roof tent. The JB clam was almost perfect for one but too compromised for two (and impossible with three!). If I was travelling on my own, it’s what I’d get and I wouldn’t be overly bothered about sourcing a slim Mag if a standard one or JB was an option. With the internal struts the useable space inside is around the 120cm mark and is just enough for storing clothes etc whilst still being comfortable.

What about the Hannibal Impi at ~1.3m?

If I was looking for another RTT (which I’m not really) that’s the sort of model I’d look closer at - all the benefits listed by Chris above and reasonably low weight and drag.

Don't know what the 120 is like, but if it was just me and the 80 I'd be taking the 2nd row seats out and turning the back into a little Palace..

the narrowest new Maggi Adventurer i could find was 130cm wide,which sounds about right

found one on ebay uk for £1600,looked well used,maybe new is a better option

My advice would just be buy second hand rooftent and sell it on if you dont get on with it.
Ive had various tents over the years. I keep going back to the pop ups. the maggy are good. at the min we have an outback that ive dropped on the 80. myself holly and an average size pouch up top plus a 8 month old. we make do at the min.

the narrowest new Maggi Adventurer i could find was 130cm wide,which sounds about right

found one on ebay uk for £1600,looked well used,maybe new is a better option

If I was in the market for what you are looking for I wouldn't have a wind up one when there is a hydraulic ram type available, I've had both and the pop up rather than the wind up type is defiantly preferable.

I don't know the quality of construction of the cheaper makes of rooftent but I did notice the quality of manufacture of the Maggiolina products, to a big degree I wish I hadn't let mine go .

I was looking at the Bunduflip tent from Bundutec last week. Interesting hybrid between a soft and a hard shell. Bit bulky-looking but leaves plenty of valuable room on your roof rack.

AA78317A-A663-4971-B220-28F414E440B0.jpeg

0560D5E6-993F-429C-A854-52493C4D9937.jpeg

Production never took off - Tuff-Trek cite high production and development costs but may be worth examining in more detail. They have a virtually unused demo tent for sale for £1,500 although I’ve seen £1,400 mentioned elsewhere. Only one in EU apparently.

i had one similar jacob.mine was the ezi awn alloy shell though.

Back