Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roof top tents that can carry a load

RobfromYork

Country Flag
uk
Hi

Does anyone have experience of a rtt that can also carry a load. I’d like a hard shell tent that I can leave on for the summer and still put a canoe on top. The alu-cab gen 3 looks awesome but very expensive.

many thanks

Rob

Alu cab, just got one, seems awesome, fitted some roof bars to the mounting channels too, will test it in anger this weekend!

My maggiolina extreme had top had small bars on it, can’t remember weight capacity. It was well under 50kg. I took them off and fitted a solar panel

Tuff-Trek used to sell an Alu-Cab lookalike at half the price. Don’t know if that’s still the case. Something called a Tentbox Cargo keeps popping up as well.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the replies. I spoke to someone who sells the tent box and they warned me off it! The other one that I have seen is the bush company alpha but can’t get one for a while

Just a (probably daft) thought, but will the tent be on bars or a roof rack ? If it's on a rack, perhaps some sort of extension carrier cradles fore and aft could be fabricated to hold the canoe above the tent..... bit of a stretch to get it up there though. Or an inflatable canoe..............

I've seen a Baroud set to carry a spare wheel on top .

I had a JB. Is rated to carry 20kg but in reality that was grossly optimistic. It struggled so much with 18kg I had to update the rams.

The JB has changed now. The original rams were so powerful it was hard to close the tent. They're now only very light, just enough to push the canopy up with the lock being done by pushing the 'knees' past centre. If you'd weight in the wheel well, you'd never get the top up. With hindsight, getting the JB with the wheel well was a big mistake. It's useless. Great tent, but the well loses you headroom and forms a lake when it rains.

I spoke to someone who sells the tent box and they warned me off it!

Yes, it does seem rather pony. Very cheesy marketing too.

These SA ones look nice:

Hmm. The quick pitch looks similar to the Alu-cab and the bush company one. Given how heavy they are I’d rather not be having to put it on and off a lot but I do carry a canoe on a fairly regular basis. I’ll keep looking.

thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Put a hinged aluminium rack over the tent , pull the canoes off fold it to one side and pop your tent up . So your rack/roofbars take the weight .

Last edited:
Back