Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roofracks/Overlanding

majic79

Ok, talk to me - after looking at todays updated thread in the overland trips, I showed the missus and she went "oooh, that looks like fun" and now I might have to do some overland mods. Seems to me that a roofrack comes in handy.

My car's a VX trim model, so it has the fore-aft roof bars. Is there a known rack that'll fit directly onto this? I can't find a definitive answer, or any specific recommendations, so I throw it to the people of glorious republic of land cruisers owners club.

Also - recommend me a destination - I want to go and look at Pripyat (Chernobyl) and can't spend too long away from work (thinking two or three weeks at a time)

For overlanding, thinking OME springs (2" lift) + diff drop (custom - got the tools, just need the longer bolts and I may be able to blag them from work) + bash plates (custom build) with steel wheels, 6x BFG AT/KO's (two spares).What else would you recommend - thinking a side awning would be good (crossover with trackday/rally sports) and sleeping in the truck mainly

Should I be thinking about winches? Anything else for that matter?

Last edited:
When overlanding (France, Pyrennes and Morroco x2) with my Colorado VX, I had removed the roof rails - quick job but take care prising off the plastic covers - and fitted a steel tubing roof rack on roof rail rhino bars.

DSC_7174.JPG

The rack weighs some 30kgs iirc. It is steel tubing and box section coated in plastic but sections of the coating has come off and there is rust. Its not in great condition and could do with a good clean up and paint but it is still serviceble. I had bought it for £30 off the bay and had to replace a cross bar. Having sold the Colorado I dont need the rack and rails are up for grabs free of charge to anyone who wants it, but must collect.

With regards to the other mods, it all depends on what you want to do. If you are going to be travelling mainly on tarmac and maybe graded gravel or 'mild' dirt track, the Colorado should be more than capable as is. AT tyres, yes. But the other mods are not necessarily required. Neither is the winch. If you are going for more extreme routes, than some of the mods may be required. In truth, you tend to avoid the more extreme/damaging routes when overlanding because the impact of damage in a remote / far off place can be very high. Having said that, most of us have modified our trucks, maybe more because we can than out of neccessity, and it is part of the fun.

What you might find useful is a split charge and leisure battery setup to allow you to use electrics (lights, fridge, laptop, etc) when you are parked up without the risk of killing your starter battery.

Places to visit: loads. Spain - Pyrennes, Picos d Europa, Tabernas desert, Portugal - mountains along Spansh border, France - Massiv Central, the Alps, Romenia, Scandenvia, the Balkans, Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Morocco - the last 5 needing longer time.

Last edited:
spindrift
how did you stop the water coming in through the holes i would put a bolt in it was this good enough to stop the leaks?
ps where are you based for the roof rack as i am off to SA and moz for a month of fun in a petrol 80 happy days.

For overlanding, thinking OME springs (2" lift) + diff drop (custom - got the tools, just need the longer bolts and I may be able to blag them from work)
I don't think you should bother with the diff. drop.
50mm isn't a huge lift.
Same again with the under body protection, I would question if it would be money well spent.
2 spare wheels? nice, but perhaps an overkill for Chernobyl.

Gra.

The underbody protection would be free, as would the diff drop (we have metal laying around the garage for making the same sort of protection on rally cars - while I'm pleased to hear it's generally un-necessary for short overland trips, I might have a go green laning and doing other offroading type stuffs so perhaps worthwhile for the future projects stuff?)

Ok, I guess Chernobly isn't going to tax the car (in terms of off-roading), but we also both like the look of Morocco as a destination, and the Missus wants to go to Petra (Jordan) when things settle down a bit in the middle east. Looking at it, there's a nice round trip route that we could take, avoiding the worst of it, but it looks like it may require more significant offroad preparation :)

Not keen on removing the rails if I can avoid it - thule do bars that fit directly to the roof rails, might explore that avenue, but want the suspension lift first, just need to find an OME stockist now!

I put the bolts back in and covered the mounting point with duct tape. It kept both the rain and the duct out of the holes.

The roof rack is in a storage unit in Bradford, West Yorkshire

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rainhard I would be interested in your rack and bars only if majic does not want them. I do not want to tread on any toes. Just showing my interest incase they are available.
Chris

No needed to convert to steel wheels, I have never heard of anyone bending or buckling a lc alloy.

No needed to convert to steel wheels, I have never heard of anyone bending or buckling a lc alloy.

I managed to crack 2 standard 100 series alloy wheels I had fitted to my work 79 series work ute, but it did spend most of its days driving around an open cast coal mine.

Impressive, must of tried really hard to break them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Most days I drive 250kms, with about 75% on dirt roads.

I have been looking for a rack and came across this one from here its 100€ cheaper here than I can get in France including delivery, and about 200€ cheaper than the UK with delivery - (Odd, as its usually the other way around!) Does anyone have any experience of these?

Cheers
Steve

Chris - I'm not claiming dibs on the rack - trying to figure out what to do about the roof-bars first, so go for it, tbh I'm thinking of using an alloy rack to save some weight

Hi Chris,

Yes, it is still available. Majic is not interested, so if you are interested pm me your mobile number and we can arrange pickup.

cheers

Front Runner makes what they call Grab-ons for their roofrack... very nice fit.

Back