Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Màtty

Country Flag
england
Hello all,

I've just bought a VX Colorado 3.4 petrol
I noticed the rear arch had a little hole.. I've taken the carpet away and found a big problem both wheel arches are done for.

I'm based in crewe and I'm looking for either replacement metal arches to weld in or someone scrapping a body with ok arches or even maybe a master welder who can sort this...

Any ideas or support is much appreciated

Matt

If thats the one on FB you've got some pain on there. Before you go any further I'd give all the underbody a good examination and see if there is any more restoration to do.
Most Collies are getting well seen into now so I doubt you'd find a breaker with better ones than yours, like I said, assess the whole truck and avoid it becoming a money pit. I guess it depends to a big degree if you can do the work yourself.
This is one reason I got rid of the 2 Collies I had, and they wer'nt like that one.

I am the one from Facebook the green land cruiser. I'm doing most of the welding my self but some critical like seatbelt mounts. I have already found some phantom patches that look solid then when ground down it's all rotton I've got lots of plate. It's my first landcruiser too

Insurance companies are writing these off for no reason at all and as i have 2 with no body rust so it seems very likely to me you will find a solid body at a breakers if you look hard enough .

How about putting your own ad on ebay as wanted - 90 series landcruiser , colorado , prado beyond repair

Yep this an all too common issue (see my build thread lol) .. If you're going to do it check the whole rear underside... Everything from prop backwards... Trust me it won't be pretty

I know I keep peeling and poking at its falling away it's gone away to get fabricated.. she wont be getting scrapped just need a good sealant to stop it again

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I know I keep peeling and poking at its falling away it's gone away to get fabricated.. she wont be getting scrapped just need a good sealant to stop it again
Strip it all right back then Upol raptor

I have just had to replace my rear axle and fuel tank due to rot! I would thoroughly inspect everything first to make sure that it can be repaired..

So far in my build...

• Rear axle rotten on top arm mounts, spring seats and wafer thin on diff. Replaced whole axle.
  • Rear inner arches shot. Welding in new from plate.
  • Rear outer arches shot. Cut back and fabbing wide arches.
  • Rear chassis from panard rod cross member back shot. Cut out and fabbing new chassis and rear bumper.
  • Cross member boot floor shot at ends. Cut back and sealed.
  • Outter sills shot both sides. Cut out and replacing with box section and slider bars.
  • Number of small patches inner sills both sides.
  • Front outer arches shot. Cut back and fabbing wide arches.
  • Underside generally from transfer box back much surface rot. All gound back and painted with upol raptor.
  • Windscreen appature holed. Screen to be removed, welded up and new screen fitted.

I cannot emphasise enough that you should check everything before you start repairing. These are old trucks now and from prop backwards they suffer.

can be fixed ......

IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_2421.JPG
IMG_2407.JPG

Depends how far it's gone @Jack VZJ90

If, like mine, the casing has rotten to wafer thin and the turrets have been badly repaired many times you may have no choice but to replace. Being half way through a full resto on a 90 I cannot emphasise enough to really get the underside fully stripped down, at least ground back to good metal (shot blasting better), all the rot repaired, painted with UPOL Raptor then AC50 annually over the top (that's my plan but I come from motorbikes so AC50 is a given!)

IMG_20190810_182454.jpg IMG_20190627_194308.jpg IMG_20190627_194227.jpg

Never seen it that far gone .... what did they do with it ???
Lots of succes with restoring, i'am still working on my second VZJ90 ....
IMG_2360.JPG

Nah you still had spring seats and my turret had been repaired at least 4 times to that extent... Maybe we should start a 'show as yoir axle' thread!

Nah you still had spring seats and my turret had been repaired at least 4 times to that extent... Maybe we should start a 'show as yoir axle' thread!

What's the rest of your underneath like dude?

Think mine was a scottish boat launcher the state it was in!

Theory is the turret drain holes are easily blocked and once that happens they never really dry out so they rust out instead .

axle-turret-drains-003-jpg.127291.jpg

Theory is the turret drain holes are easily blocked and once that happens they never really dry out so they rust out instead .

View attachment 161152
I'd love to find out why 90s go like they do yet 80s which are a very similar design dont. I've got a feeling its something to do with the fuel tank placement.

Steel quality at the time of build i'd say . Have to remember the 80 was a luxury car and priced as such when new as well , the 90 series was aimed at a less affluent market .

Back