Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Roughtrax Steering Rack

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
Does anybody have any experience with the new steering rack that Roughtrax offer as a replacement for the original part?

I am on the edge of either getting my original rack rebuilt with all new Toyota seals, or buying a new one from Roughtrax and would like to hear from anyone who has bought one, and had one fitted for some time......

Cheers

Well there are six reviews of it on the web page. All seem very good. Roughtrax are a name to be trusted in my experience

Mines been on years and i wouldn't hesitate to buy another , if i did though i'd paint the hydraulic lines before fitting it but only because i painted them last year as some anally retentive mot testers should be fired .

I have fitted Roughtrax Steering Rack on my 90 and Hilux Surf and have had no problems at all

I had mine rebuilt but only paid €25 an hour labour.Plus I have a really good relationship with my mechanic , who I trust.

Bought a Roughtrax unit just prior to MOT 18 months ago - straightforward fit & good quality. No worries here. Sensible money compared to Toyota OEM.

Just for info: when I dealt with Barry at Roughtrax a few month ago regarding wiper mechanism replacement he sorted a deal with Toyota for a serious discount - then got them in for lots more variants. Wouldn't be surprised if there was an OEM supplier in there somewhere, even though sold as their own parts.

Great to deal with.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thank you for your replies folks.

I don’t have any issue with Roughtrax, I’ve spent a fair penny or two with them over the past few years for my truck, and have never been disappointed with their parts or service. Top notch.

The reason that I asked is because of the huge price difference between the replacement part from Roughtrax, and Mr.Toyota’s price. I think there’s about £1,000 between the two.

Now I know that Toyota’s original parts can cost quite a bit more, but such a huge price difference make me wonder if there’s something different in the build, strength or quality of the parts used.

It is slightly cheaper to get the original part refurbished (it has lasted for 23 years or so), using original Toyota seals, than it is to buy a new replacement.

So hopefully you can understand my predicament.

Use the original (re-built) steering rack, or get a clean ‘new’ one……

The choice as they say, is yours! (or mine)

Back