Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

RTV / FIPG - where to buy?

Andrew Prince

Not sure this is a technical question but here goes anyway :oops:

Where can I buy RTV? What's the best stuff to use? Do I need to use Toy's branded version?

I need to remove the t/case extension housing on my 80 to replace the bearing and leaking output shaft seal. The housing seals onto the rest of the t/case using RTV apparently. I don't want to have to redo the job because I used the wrong stuff first time round :violence-stickwhack:

Cheers,

I just went to my local motor factor and said, hopefully, RTV? Certainly they said an returned with a tube. I had never heard of it. JW mentioned it and I just pretended to know what he was talking about. Thought he might have sent me for a glass hammer next. But no. Honest Jon. I can't remember what make it was, but I recognised the brand for sure. Evostick, or Wynns or maybe Locktite. Not rare stuff.

Chris

Did the same as Chris. Asked at a local parts place. He gave me recommendations, I nodded knowledgeably and walked out with a tube. Used it to re-seal the extension housing on my transfer box and its been fine. Best to leave overnight before re-filling if possible to let it set fully.

Cheers

Ok, will try that - thanks, guys! So basically quality is not a major issue with this seldom-spotted product :cool:

Unless you're fashion conscious. Original stuff on mine was red, but replaced with stealth black :D .

Cheers

Richard Jackaman said:
Unless you're fashion conscious. Original stuff on mine was red, but replaced with stealth black :D
Hmm I guess I'll just have to hope no-one looks at my undercarriage and notices the colour confusion :mrgreen:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I doubt the brand will matter much Andrew and they will know what you want as the others have said if you ask for RTV rather than FIPG :)

quote - hope no-one looks at my undercarriage

Now that is an image that I didn't need Andrew. Thanks. It's put me right off my scones that has. :)

C

Chris said:
Now that is an image that I didn't need Andrew. Thanks. It's put me right off my scones that has. :)
Sorry, I couldn't resist the slightly below-the-belt inference :lol: I don't envisage you as someone easily separated from his scones, so my comment must have been worse than I thought :?

Back