Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Running temperatures ?

Having just been through the wiring schematics for Swampy just recently it occurred to me that just about every parameter that can be monitored is already being monitored and fed back to the ECU. Is it not possible to tap into the ECU and use the data from all of the pre existing sensors dotted around the vehicle? A couple of months back I saw a thing that plugs into an OBD11 socket that then BlueTooths all of the relevant engine and gearbox data to an APP on ones iPhone or iPad, how cool is that :)

Here we go, this is what I stumbled over the other week :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLX-Devic...er_Cell_Phone_Accessories&hash=item232e556374

GSST2WIFI_logo.png

Our Land Cruisers are OBD1 irc..and I 'm not sure how you splice into the information...but the only port is the one under the bonnet. I tried connecting mine to Toyota Techstream but could not read anything. :(

Last edited:
There's always some thing to spoil ones fun :(

Is this the thing?

IMG_9433_zps90649e3a.jpg

IMG_9435_zps4e42620e.jpg

IMG_9436_zps05e8ba5b.jpg

Yep that's the socket, I tried that style of adaptor to connect via toyota techstream, I also tried a standalone diagnostics and neither could connect, something must be able to connect to it and read values as there is a toyota special hand held diagnostics that connect to it according to the workshop manual.

i remember reading what software can read the values but can't remember off hand.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I think im more a fan of having a seperate system and sensor in all honesty - esp after all the trouble ive had. If the standard sensor gives a fale reading you will just see the false reading in two places whereas with two sensors you know something is wrong for sure as they dont match (my situation earlier).

Swapped my VDO sensor in today and out of curiosity tried it with the cheap gauge - went over 120C at operating temperature so not compatable. Then swapped the VDO gauge in and all reading what it should be now just wish I had spent that little bit more to start with !

Back