Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rust!

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Has anyone ever used a company like this? http://www.rust.co.uk/

My Collie is 16 years old now and has suffererd 12 or 13 English winters and is a tad rusty underneath :(. I had new discs and pads with ss braided hoses fitted th eother day and the calipers are very rusty :( - my geezer what does said that there is a lot of that stuff under there...not as bad as a Land woe ver, but not far off (that scared me!)

I emailed them this morning and got this response - price wise, if its a good job, then I think worth while?
What do you reckon?

Many thanks for your enquiry the cost of full rust proofing to your Colorado will be £425 + vat. Our unique rust proofing service is very popular it is recommended that you book well in advance.

This is what we do.

Our full rust proofing service includes under carriage cleaning salt removal, rust conversion cavity injection and under body protection as per specification below but not additional welding or other repairs if required. The unique Rustbuster Hot Fog process takes one and a half days to complete to allow for removal of splash guards surface preparation and drying of rust stabilising converter. Undersides only can be completed on the same day. Our rust proofing slots run as follows. Monday am to Tuesday pm – Tuesday am to Wednesday pm – Thursday am to Friday pm.

We now have week-long appointments running from Saturday am drop off for Saturday am collection the following week. Please call Katie or Morgan in the office to check availability we have earlier slots of all types appearing from time to time. 01775 761 222.

The process

• Hot High pressure Mossmatic cleaning with using Chlor-X salt remover.
  • Infra red and air blast drying.
  • Remove road wheels and masking of brakes and hubs.
  • Removal of any plastic inner arch guards. We do not remove painted plastic arch returns and skirts that form part of the bodywork. We do try to remove the plastic rivets carefully to re use them, any replaced fixings are billed to the customer.
  • Removal of any loose rust and old loose coatings.
  • Inspection of chassis/sub frames sills etc.for corrosion and rot. Any rot discovered requiring welding will be reported back to the customer prior to repairs being carried out. Pictures can be provided on a USB stick (£5 + vat). If you decide not to go ahead there will be charge to pay of 50% of the full quotation + vat
  • Surface rust is treated with Rustbuster FE-123 molecular rust converter.
  • Vehicle bodywork is masked before spraying.
  • Cavities injected using a unique Canadian high pressure air mix Fogging method with Rustbuster Classic 3125 cavity wax.
  • Cavities includes Chassis, sills, cross members, sub frames door bottoms, A,B and C pillars, bonnet and boot seams or hatch. Some areas are accessed directly with wet spray others are accessed via fogging the wax, eg door tops and lock mechanisms would receive a fog whereas the door bottom and seams get a full wet coating. Tops of pillars are fogged etc.
  • Under body coated with Dinitrol 4941 Black under body wax.
  • Plastic Arch guards and wheels replaced.
  • On dropping off the vehicle you will have signed for all of the above to be done to your vehicle. On completion we will give you a certificate verifying that we have done all of the work in the schedule, you then get to keep both the certificate and the original schedule of works to go into your vehicle file. If you have maintained the after service intervals this can be passed onto a new owner to continue, increasing the re-sale value of your car.

IMO Steve, any treatment is better than none, and at that price and description, you should get benefit.

One good aspect is receiving a "rust" report. This is helpful for those occasions where the dreaded worm is having a go at those places you wouldn't normally see. A problem known is Hal-way to resolved, as long as you do the follow-up, which I'm sure you will.

Nothing is guaranteed though, they work systematically, whether what they do is effective, or not.

Still, it's affordable, and trust me, I wouldn't want the job at twice that price :whistle:

PS. It might be worthwhile to get some testimonies from previous customers, but just ask them for names and addresses, then contact them privately. Recommendations that they may provide cannot be trusted.

Mm mm, Funny that the word trust includes rust....

I searched for reputations before seeking quotes from 3 companies and 800 quid is the average all said they will need my truck for 3 days which i felt was encouraging .

Did you get it done yet Shayne? If they can sort out the rust I would be happy, but need to see some prev jobs

They did my old 80 and I thought they did a good job, but we steamed cleaned it 1st,
Maybe Pumpy Pete can tell you how it's holding up a year down the line

I didn't , procrastinating i could do a better job if i pulled everything apart :icon-rolleyes:

Westcoast i felt could be trusted , a local classic vw restorer seems to have a very good but non specific reputation , and these guys http://www.rustbusters.co.uk/ who actually mentioned price depending on rust removal , welding and welding required etc and the guy wasn't trying to sell me anything .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers chaps, I think I will go for it on next UK trip.

All the talk of rust lately is starting to worry me so here's the sketch of the purchase plan in the hope those with more experience will points out faults in my thinking or perhaps suggest alternative products .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warrior-5...P-240v-Electric-8Bar-116PSI-50L-/121700762724

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandblaster-30lb-Capacity-Portable-Pack-x/dp/B00DP5AA8O

http://www.frost.co.uk/zinga-cold-galvanising-system-anti-corrosion-rust-zinc-coating-5kg-tin.html

https://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog/International-Toplac-Paint.html

Breaks my heart that if i had all this in the shed when doing other jobs such as replacing the steering rack the chassis would look brand new by now for very little extra effort .

Back