Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rusty sump swap.. d-4d

Danny b

Country Flag
uk
Has anyone else found a porous engine sump yet? I am in the process of replacing mine, quite a big job as drive shafts and front diff have to come out unless you remove the engine. I currently have everything removed and the old sump keeping the dirt out, while I had the opportunity I have removed the oil pick up and given it a clean out, I also ran some engine oil additive before dropping the oil, apparently it loosens and old build up in the oil system. Will start reassemble process later this week and also replacing my suspension as I go.

IMAG1787.jpg

More photos please:)

Hopefully I'm not about to find a porous sump..:openmouth:

Will refit the pick up and new sump on saturday, dont fancy doing it in the dark with my head torch. Will get pics of the old sump then. Theres no big holes as it was only weeping, not enough to leave a patch on the floor. I just got carried away trying to find the cause of the oil.. before I knew it the under trays and prop was off and the diff was loose so I could try and remove the sump cover.. At this point I could only see it being the sump and decided as its already partly apart I should replace the sump. I will possibly repair the sump and sell it on as I am a welder/fabricator by trade. Was hard work location a sump.

Good work! Wish I could weld I have a snapped upper control arm turret needing a fix.

You've got me worried now. Porous, as in rusted through?
My d4d is a rusty mess underneath. Hadn't even thought of looking behind the sump guard.
Yes rusted through, tiny pin holes. will get it clean and take pics.

where about's is your turret cracked? is this a common occurrence?

Looks like can be re fabricated ok but ideally its an axle out job. I will be doing my suspension so best give mine a good check. Didn't notice anything major when I was fixing the diff lock though.

There are very small drain holes at the base of the turrets, facing the rear of the truck. It pays to clean them out by jabbing with a small screwdriver from time to time. I've been amazed how easily they block with crud and then you've got muddy water sloshing around inside the turrets

first time I'm actually hearing of a sump leaking this way. Makes sense if it's rusted it's way through though. It's probably one of those rare cases where a little bit of oil there in the first place would have actually protected it a bit better.

Sounds like you'll have it repaired in no time, good luck with it all

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rusted then snapped straight through about half way up. Yes common occurrence. This is before it snapped-
View attachment 110138

To be fair to Toyota they must have identified that as a weakness. On the 120 it's the bracket at the other end of the control arm, on the chassis, that snaps.

Danny B,

Did this on my 100 last year, not knowing fully what it entailed, but learning, as more bits had to come off to remove the old sump. Mine had rusted through where Toyota had installed a bit of packing to the back of it, this had been working as a wet salty sponge assisting with the rusting process.
We got ours from Amayama.

Good luck for the weekend.

4 Paw Drive

Right new sump fitment underway, while I wait for the rtv to activate here's a quick pic update.

Right now off to bolt up the sump.

IMAG1791.jpg IMAG1794.jpg IMAG1795.jpg IMAG1796.jpg IMAG1798.jpg

New sump all fitted up, I have decided to keep that cover off, sure it reduces engine noise but feel it's a rust trap for a vehicle being used in mud. The rusty parts of sump are stuck into the foam.

Back