Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sad day, Don't hate me

It really is a tough one. I'm not so bothered by the new cars and all the electronics, just gobsmacked at the cost of new cars. Crazy money. £30k gets a 3 year old mid sized SUV thing, which lets be honest all look the same.

Worst thing is when you look at any reliability reviews all the big Germans and UK JLR are at the bottom of the pile.

Not going to rush, but knowing what we are like I can see a impulse buy of some sort due to boredom of looking :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

images

I've always liked the FJ Cruisers. Mrs not so much.

I don't think they photograph well but i think my better half might be swayed in favour at a test drive .

Saw a "MUSSO" yesterday and quite liked the look of it. Cheap and reliable with 7 year warranty. Don't know if the seven years covers the whole car.

Saw a "MUSSO" yesterday and quite liked the look of it. Cheap and reliable with 7 year warranty. Don't know if the seven years covers the whole car.
Just looked at these and these are the Ute style vehicle, so not for us.

Ssangyong do a Rexton which for 30k gets you something slightly newer and lower mileage than the Merc, Audi and Jag brands. Not enough difference for me to go for this brand. Having said that it's prob more reliable :grimacing::grimacing:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony I have just bought a Rexton as it has a similiar ride quality to the Colorado that I had. It was the only SUV with a ladder chassis/body combo. Still miss the cruiser but needed to got something for towing the caravan and something to get insurance for trips to France and Europe that didnt cost almost as much as a years insurance for two weeks. Its a 2018 ELX model and it still has warranty until October 2025.

Tony I have just bought a Rexton

The old rextons used to be based on the Mercedes ML W163 I think.

Hard to find anything with a ladder chassis now. Does it have low range?

Honest truth we don't need a 4x4, and certainly not a capable one. We don't tow, don't have a muddy track etc. The 120 only ever went off-road a handful of times and that was to play at Salisbury Plain or at Tony's farm.

Last few years, was only really used to take stuff to the dump or or collect bigger items. A builders van fits that bill...

Mrs likes the higher position, hence looking at the smaller SUV/crossover things.

Will go take a look at one of those car market places and take a look at the various options.

Toyota CH-R might fit the bill

Reading about the CH-R led me to the Rav4 Adventure which is far more interesting .

Last edited:
@karl2000 yes it does have a 4x4 high and low range but no centre diff. You can only use either on muddy or slippery conditions. It drives in 2 wheel high otherwise and the front prop and driveshafts are not turning unless in 4wd. So far I am averaging 32mpg solo and 28 towing my caravan weighing 1500kgs. Just cant get used to the fly-by-wire throttle control, too much of a lag but when it goes it goes

Been looking at the new RAV4's. Damn those things have got big. May go look at one in the flesh. But again, 30k + car....

I'm another one who isn't interested in anything sold new in Britain, this has been the case for a number of years now, the good lady feels the same.

No plans to sell the 120, i keep it serviced and rustproofed well and its just so nice to drive shaking off the third world road surfaces found everywhere the very rich don't live, i prefer something that drives like a truck so still kicking myself over that bargain 66 plate 150 some of you encouraged me to get before prices went silly.
I suspect they'll tax vehicles like ours off the road in due course, doesn't bother me one second about being effectively banned from cities i hate everything about them, but eventually the time will come they will have their way and reserve the Zil lanes for themselves.
Not having a battery car, nothing against them just they do nothing for me and seeing as i'll be paying it's going to me my/our choice not what someone obscenely rich and with an agenda tells me i should spend my hard earned on, if it means no car in the future for us then that's fine, they'll be missing out on a hell of a lot of tax revenues.

Talking of vehicle taxes, our Forester being a 2008 quick model is going to be £630 to tax this year, less £10 discount for dual fuel (insert face palm smiley here) and we're now down to one LPG outlet in our area, so if Morrisons sack off the lpg tanks that will be the car that goes first.

I live on the outskirts of London, and often drive into the outer parts of it, so ULEZ is a thing and one of the reasons for changing the 120 as it wasn't compliant.

If it wasn't that the Mrs wants a higher car, prob would have got a small ev like a Zoe as that really meets all the requirements, most of its life will be spent driving to the station and back or local miles.

I don't mind new cars (I like the tech etc), what I can't justify is the cost...

Merc GLC is the current front runner, but lets see if we can find something in our budget...

And yes I agree, I recon they will use road tax to push us out of the older vehicles.

Final note, I see some London boroughs are pushing back against Khan and the cost of putting up the ulez cameras, so that's going to be interesting to see where it goes

Fair play that some London boroughs are pushing back, Khan's had it all his own way too long, with no opposition.
Let's hope that others follow and give him some work to do in trying to bulls**t them.
IF it has any effect, it wont be where MP's live.
At the end of the day though, we are paying for those cameras + everything else, so I suppose he will tell them it doesn't matter. To quote another Westminster Waster, "So what" ??

The whole ULEZ expansion was always going to be a bitter pill - the majority of residents were against it and with recent economic belt-tightening, will be even harder to swallow.

I personally wouldn't be surprised if it's kicked into the long grass for a couple of years.

The main problem is that it and the CC, are some of the main means by which the MoL can raise funds - this "issue" pre-dates Khan/Johnson and goes right back how TfL operates.

I guess the best thing would be to import a 300 Series, can’t imagine that would be cheap though!.

I have had the Audi Q5 and wouldn't have another.
Its was the plug in hybrid, in the 18 months i had it from new, it had, a repair to the charging point, then it was replaced, rear view mirror fell off in the heatwave, so it had to have a complete new windscreen, the rear drivers window stopped going up. it has a creak/metal fatigue noise every time i pulled away, the passenger side mirror had a creak every time i opened/locked it, body trim pieces that kept moving and hitting the door pillar and other niggles that im not going to type. in the end, it got a running joke of what noise would appear everytime i got in to drive it:tearsofjoy:

so it has now gone back to Audi and hopefully it serves the next owner a bit better than me. It cost £55K and i was deeply disappointed with the quality. i still do like the look of the audi's but have been put off by this. I also had the Touareg a while back, which i couldnt fault, that did drive nice. but all the sensors/electronics always worried me that it was going to cost a fortune when it did eventually go wrong. (same with all new cars)

I looked at a disco 5 before the 150 too, that did drive nice but got put off about the cranskshaft deciding to part ways when they like. Also the Fugly back end.

cant comment on the Merc GLC, that was the other option when i was looking at the Q5 but Covid kept getting in the way with testdrives etc.

I hope what ever you decide on serves you as well as the 120 did.

Back