Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sad day, Don't hate me

Thanks SC, I knew you had a Toureg, didn't know you also had a Q5. Mrs didn't like the Q5 as much as the GLC, also it's kinda small inside, odd as it is a big car.

I doubt whatever we get will last 17years like the 120 did.

Tell you what the Mercedes dealer I contacted is relentless, but I won't be swayed into a quick purchase. He called me late Friday to say that from the 5 cars he had shortlisted for me in the morning, 3 had sold and that I shouldn't waste too much time. I told him to feel free and sell them .... Queue silence :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Just seen a tall car so googled it when i got home

Spotted one of those over the weekend. To be fair they look ok, but I'm just not sure about the build quality or reliability. Having said that, can't be worse than the last British made MGs.....

That MG looks alright - think they've copied the Mazda CX-5 (which, if you're going to copy a compact SUV design, not a bad place to start.)

I recall the MGs get fairly good reviews and offer fairly good VFM for a EV but still a bit too rich for my budget.

Cheaper new than its competition is used and a 7 year warranty .

My own anecdotal not really caring take on the whole MG Rover fiasco is someone convinced them to use a stainless steel head gasket which was the final nail in the coffin .

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Quite saddened to see everyone else has the same take on the "what's next?" question. This LC has been pretty much bullet proof for 150k miles now - and almost everything original. Still mostly ok underneath but the rear bumper supports etc. are literally falling out - I found bits of one of them on the ground. Stark reminder It's not going to last forver..... and I can't ignore the anxiety when I have to jack it up these days either (brake service last weekend made me sweat a bit - so axle stands went under some extra load spreading bits of wood).

..... and the ULEZ is coming to get me fast.

I keep looking ahead but there's just nothing to replace one - and from what I've read the 150 is just not a safe bet. And the Rav4? ... AWd? :doh:

Do I NEED a bullet proof capable 4x4? That's an open question - but now that I've got one and enjoyed so many years of knowing that as long as I kept it serviced i NEVER had to even consider the car - no matter what the plans were, no matter how far, no matter the conditions, the distance, the weather or terrain (within my lowly scope of the world) - I just don't know how to go back - especially when it's gong to cost so much to do so.

The comment about winning the lottery and still not being able to find a replacement sums it up perfectly for me. I keep joking about spending the money on a full "body off" tear down and rebuild instead of wasting a fortune on something made from plastic and sub standard electrickery that I'll constantly expect to fail or leave us stranded.

Anyway, depressive rant over. On to new horizons Tony :thumbup:
Will be watching to see where you land and wish you the best of luck finding what you need.

Yaris cross AWD? I went to look at one for giggles :laughing-rolling:

Just speaking with a Dutch mate..... he has a V6 diesel engined Merc Sprinter 4x4 van .... in a strange way that would tick a lot of the boxes as it tows very well .
Only thing is they are no longer made either .......

I've moved from a Porsche MacanS to my 79 series LC. Much as the Porsche was incredibly comfortable and quick to drive, the cost of parts and potential repairs in an accident is horrific. On top of that I'm sick of the modern trend towards manufacturers controlling their product through computer systems that are only available to dealers but are increasingly essential for even the most basic servicing work. It's a great relief to own a car that doesn't beep at me for indiscretions like opening the door while the car is moving, driving too close to a bush :) or other things I'm quite happy to take personal responsibility for.

The LC is fun to work on too, with potential for owner mods that just aren't part of owning a car like a Porsche.

Jules

Cummins been producing euro 6 diesel engines maybe 6 years now which might present an engine swap way forward ?

Just in case anyone does head down the Rav4 route I found these a while back that might be handy. Reviews from a Mr T mechanic.

2013-2018

2019-2021

Last edited:
"On top of that I'm sick of the modern trend towards manufacturers controlling their product through computer systems that are only available to dealers but are increasingly essential for even the most basic servicing work. "

It's only going one way........ the wrong way.....one of the manufactures who's machines I work on has decided that as of 2023 model year the diagnostic software isn't even loaded on the individual machines so there is no back door or onboard diagnostic capability.... these are large agricultural machines that tend to break down in remote inaccessible places with no phone or internet coverage yet now the Tech has to rock up and plug in his laptop (we've always used lap tops ) and now via the web download diagnostic software for that individual machine , load it to carry out the diagnostics , hopefully sort the issue then remove the software from the unit . All this requires internet access and has the potential for bugs or partial loading of the software to occur and render £250K worth of machine unusable and unmoveable . And hasn't improved diagnostic capability ...it has however increased the manufacturers bottom line as they no longer have to put the program into the units and now can charge the dealer more money for licensing the software to support the vehicles they produce . Currently circa £2000 per laptop for every dealer tech who leaves the workshop in a van , and on top of that is every van now has to have mobile internet capability .

It really is a bad trend and direction. That and the subscription model that the manufactures are pushing.

We are no nearer deciding what we want. I may look at 2nd hand 150's, but I am put of by Toyota and their approach to rust....

Lexus RX may be a option, but Mrs not overly in love with those....

Re the RAV4 reviews, I'm sure this is a common story on all makes.

Shayne.....
One of my customers has a Grand Cherokee a couple of years old ...he loves it .
He has a fleet of vehicles including RR Sport (wifes car) , VW Toureg (work car ) a couple of Audi Quattro sports estates , Mini Cooper (the bmw version ) and a huge v8 petrol yank pick up .... by far his favourite vehicle is the Cherokee ... he reckons it drives better than the RR Sport and VW ....
I always kinda thought that Jeeps were crude and unsophisticated with an iffy build quality.... the Cherokee certainly isn't that , it rides well , is quiet and tows well .

Would love to think the Grenadier is a viable choice but despite much press they haven't got many out and I just don't like the styling...... why when they had a clean sheet design did they make it look like a ruddy Landrover ?

I go back to my previous comment - I know pick ups don't work for some people, but I love my Hilux - its modern enough, but still essentially a truck. Its a 2015, I've owned it 3 1/2 years and its been great. Far more reliable than the 80 series TBH.

As others have said, I'm not sure I would replace it with any "new" vehicle - though I would be tempted by a 70 series import or similar.

It's only going one way........ the wrong way.....one of the manufactures who's machines I work on has decided that as of 2023 model year the diagnostic software isn't even loaded on the individual machines so there is no back door or onboard diagnostic capability

Not sure if you're talking about John Deere but I was pleased to see that in the US they've backed off a little from their policy of not allowing farmers to fix their own machinery. I understand it was in anticipation of EU law changes in favour of giving the owners of many different types of equipment, access to parts and the right to repair what they own.

Jules

My plan before the present 120 spoke to me from the online ad, was to import a 120 Prado or possibly even a 70 of some sort direct from Japan but through a company experienced in this.
Might a grey be something to consider, unless very unlucky starting with a vehicle of similar age to what could be bought here but hasn't seen a spec of salt in its like, some of the underbody picturers of cruisers you found on sites like Tradecarview would have you drooling.

Back