Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sad day fatality - dog run over :-(

Michael Montgomery

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Not truck related but an issue that some of you guys may relate to im sure.

This morning on my way home from getting the cruiser washed and driving 20kmh a small puppy was on the side road and whilst I noticed him and drove towards the other side of the road it ran out and heart breaking I had clipped it in the head and within minutes it died. :cry:

First time this has happened personally, the owner soon came out and it appeared the workers having their hands full couldn't close the gate behind them and aided to this tragic death that I'm so upset happened.

Other vehicles stopped behind me and offered help but its was so hard for those two minutes where the dog suffered I struggled to watch!!

One passer by a guy who I know knew the owner who had recently had an operation himself being unwell was also devastated. Felt terribly bad sick to my stomach feeling helpless to be able to do anything.

Having spoken to the owner I'm looking to find another puppy for him being the least of what I can do but I know the devastation will live with us both something sadly we will share from this tragedy.

Unfortunately here in northern Cyprus dogs and cats have had little attentions for much too long and although some strides are being taken thankfully now its still huge issue here sadly.

This morning on my way home from getting the cruiser washed and driving 20kmh a small puppy was on the side road and whilst I noticed him and drove towards the other side of the road it ran out and heart breaking I had clipped it in the head and within minutes it died. :cry:

First time this has happened personally, the owner soon came out and it appeared the workers having their hands full couldn't close the gate behind them and aided to this tragic death that I'm so upset happened.

Other vehicles stopped behind me and offered help but its was so hard for those two minutes where the dog suffered I struggled to watch!!

One passer by a guy who I know knew the owner who had recently had an operation himself being unwell was also devastated. Felt terribly bad sick to my stomach feeling helpless to be able to do anything.

Having spoken to the owner I'm looking to find another puppy for him being the least of what I can do but I know the devastation will live with us both something sadly we will share from this tragedy.

Unfortunately here in northern Cyprus dogs and cats have had little attentions for much too long and although some strides are being taken thankfully now its still huge issue here sadly.

I feel for you Dervis, I once killed a full sized German Shepherd (Alsatian) that ran out in front of me, luckily the impact killed it outright, so no prolonged suffering. There was also no contact with an owner, there was no collar and we were miles from any village or houses.

I would certainly recommend not to replace the puppy without the owner’s permission. They may feel that once is enough and not to have a puppy at all. Otherwise, pets are very personal, and should only be chosen by the owner IMO.

My experience with pets (mostly cats and some dogs when I was younger) is that they’re part of the family, and you wouldn’t suggest adopting a child for them if you knocked down their kid, would you?

Sounds brutal, but think about it, it would be the wrong thing to do without agreement.

Sorry it happened nevertheless, stay in touch with them for a while, both you and the owner will get over it in time, it’s what happens mate.

I really feel for you - two dogs myself and yes they can be a real pain sometimes but I love them to bits and I've cried like a baby when I had to have our previous two to sleep for different reasons. I've also be devastated if I hit a dog on the road - my wife is very very animal friendly (must be to still be with me!!) and she is always upset when she see's dead deer by the side of the road after a car strike... sad day.

I feel for you Dervis, I once killed a full sized German Shepherd (Alsatian) that ran out in front of me, luckily the impact killed it outright, so no prolonged suffering. There was also no contact with an owner, there was no collar and we were miles from any village or houses.

I would certainly recommend not to replace the puppy without the owner’s permission. They may feel that once is enough and not to have a puppy at all. Otherwise, pets are very personal, and should only be chosen by the owner IMO.

My experience with pets (mostly cats and some dogs when I was younger) is that they’re part of the family, and you wouldn’t suggest adopting a child for them if you knocked down their kid, would you?

Sounds brutal, but think about it, it would be the wrong thing to do without agreement.

Sorry it happened nevertheless, stay in touch with them for a while, both you and the owner will get over it in time, it’s what happens mate.

Yes your right Clive when asking what I can to help the owner said if I could get him another one if possible even if the breed would be different. its just upsetting all round tbh and so been ringing around today awaiting for something to come up.

Thanks for your kind words :pray:

I really feel for you - two dogs myself and yes they can be a real pain sometimes but I love them to bits and I've cried like a baby when I had to have our previous two to sleep for different reasons. I've also be devastated if I hit a dog on the road - my wife is very very animal friendly (must be to still be with me!!) and she is always upset when she see's dead deer by the side of the road after a car strike... sad day.

Like you Den im an animal lover too both but choose not to have one being that I live in an apartment on a busy main road. Often see them roaming the streets with am accident just waiting to happen as often being the case.

Not much can do but sadly grieve with my heart open.

Thanks

Sorry to hear that Dervis , I feel for you and the dog , stupid owners should have kept the puppy in the house if they had workers round .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
You may feel upset Dervis but it was the owners fault. I killed a Whippet years ago in my Range Rover. It ran out in front of me in the countryside. When I tried to sympathise with the owner who was out walking his Whippets he started jumping up and down shouting so I dragged the corpse from under the car and drove to the neareset police station to report it all. Half way through the interview the phone ran and I could hear the owner ranting at the police man who could not get a word in edgeways. In the end I heard the police man say. "He's here now sir".

Turned out to be Mr Marsh from "Marsh and Baxter" trying to bully me.

So sorry to hear this Dervis it is a horrible horrible feeling. The day before I sold my first Shogun, our elderly but still sprightly cat sat on our drive as I came back in, moved out the way as usual but I then felt the back wheel run over him. It didn’t kill him outright and he suffered terribly as I didn’t have the courage to finish him off. My mother had to do it as I sat indoors sobbing my heart out. We never spoke about it after that day but it had a profound effect on me ever since. The worst day of my life for sure.

I, like the others, really do know what you’re going through. I hope you find a pup for the owner to see and accept as their own. One will come along if it’s meant to be.

You may feel upset Dervis but it was the owners fault. I killed a Whippet years ago in my Range Rover. It ran out in front of me in the countryside. When I tried to sympathise with the owner who was out walking his Whippets he started jumping up and down shouting so I dragged the corpse from under the car and drove to the neareset police station to report it all. Half way through the interview the phone ran and I could hear the owner ranting at the police man who could not get a word in edgeways. In the end I heard the police man say. "He's here now sir".

Turned out to be Mr Marsh from "Marsh and Baxter" trying to bully me.

I hear ya Frank and understand. I know by mistake it was the owners responsibility and yet the workers really let him down sadly. It fell on me having run the puppy over and that’s the burden on me now.

I didn’t want to enter a blame game tbh as it wouldn’t change the dire feeling of running over the poor puppy. So in light of this I felt I’d do what I can even though it’s very little in the face of things.

Thanks

So sorry to hear this Dervis it is a horrible horrible feeling. The day before I sold my first Shogun, our elderly but still sprightly cat sat on our drive as I came back in, moved out the way as usual but I then felt the back wheel run over him. It didn’t kill him outright and he suffered terribly as I didn’t have the courage to finish him off. My mother had to do it as I sat indoors sobbing my heart out. We never spoke about it after that day but it had a profound effect on me ever since. The worst day of my life for sure.

I, like the others, really do know what you’re going through. I hope you find a pup for the owner to see and accept as their own. One will come along if it’s meant to be.

Thank you Richard for your heart felt words and yes I remember you sharing this story a while back that was truly heart breaking.

If there is a positive in these events then I would say it helps change us for the better. We can only live in our hearts and be true to our feelings.

Thanks

So sorry Dervis, There is nothing you can do or say, Just sorry mate,

My unenviable tally is one cat one fox one badger and a blue tit.
All were heartbreaking so i sympathise dervis. I did save a badger once that had been clipped by someone else. I saw it struggling in the road and helped it to the side. It tried to bite me then ran off. Theres no pleasing some badgers!

My unenviable tally is one cat one fox one badger and a blue tit.
All were heartbreaking so i sympathise dervis. I did save a badger once that had been clipped by someone else. I saw it struggling in the road and helped it to the side. It tried to bite me then ran off. Theres no pleasing some badgers!

Thats so unfortunate to hear Ben. No badgers here in Cyprus but we do have snakes lol.

Ive often seen cats, dogs and foxes having been run over many a time but never been the one to be the cause until now. I have found a cat having been run over earlier the year and took it to the vets but sadly its was nothing they could do for it had been days already so was put down sadly.

The saddest part of the story is that need to be even more careful than I am in the hope that this never happens again.

Thanks

Thank you Higgy wouldn't wish this upon anyone.
Its a terrible thing, last xmas day the missus and i were driving to Eastbourne when a deer ran out in front of us we hit it square on, It trashed the car, and the poor Deer was badly injured. I had to drag it to the verge and reluctantly cut its throat, to end it suffering. The missus was driving, and she never forgave herself.. Sad day

Yes a very sad day, only ever ran over cats and rabbits but a dog how ever must you feel the lowest a man can feel running over a small dog was it a little boy or girls pet, I bet that is going to be very sadly missed. maybe you could have used your brakes a little more and missed it. sorry for your loss.

Yes a very sad day only even ran over cats and rabbits but a dog how very you must feel the lowest a man can feel running over a small dog was it a little boy or girls pet, I bet that is going to be very sadly missed. maybe you could have used your brakes a little more and missed it. sorry for your loss.

It was one of those days Ted when I thought I missed it and prayed it was outside of my left wheel as I swerved to the opposite side of the road luckily having no oncoming traffic. Just wasn't to be TBH even at 20kmh the 80 doesn't stop like modern vehicles so that's certainly a draw back. My heart sank in disbelief soon after. :coldsweat:

Thank you Ted.

That's life Dervis , I watched a toddler meet his end once by running into the road , even now when i think of it 25-30 years later it's the driver my heart goes out to , he did nothing wrong - he had no chance .

I was maybe 15ft away watching the boy Trawler race day sat in a crowded beer garden , by the time i got to my feet and took two steps he was dead , I'm sure there's at least 10 others in that crowd who like me still curse themselves because they could have prevented it . The raw truth is nobody could have prevented it .

Life's like that .

That's life Dervis , I watched a toddler meet his end once by running into the road , even now when i think of it 25-30 years later it's the driver my heart goes out to , he did nothing wrong - he had no chance .

I was maybe 15ft away watching the boy Trawler race day sat in a crowded beer garden , by the time i got to my feet and took two steps he was dead , I'm sure there's at least 10 others in that crowd who like me still curse themselves because they could have prevented it . The raw truth is nobody could have prevented it .

Life's like that .

So true Shayne certainly the case. I guess we're more valuable that we sometimes realise until we're reminded.

A toddler wow that im sure would give me sleepless night, I'm sorry to hear you having experienced that. Sad case is that is pretty common way of life.

Thank you

Back