Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sahara-Overland

HauptRenate

Hi y'all
Been meaning to do this for a while.
Chris Scott's book of the same title as this topic (Sahara Overland) is available from Amazon book stores, I got mine from a guy called Julian who goes to morocco, for about £8 or £9 inc p&p.
If any of you want Chris's book I can maybe negotiate trade discount for our landcruiser forum members?
If any of you are interested in travelling to the Sahara, than please, feel free to visit the website below.
If any of you want to join another forum for information specific to North Africa, then check out website link http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/sahara-travel-forum/
I'm a regular visitor.
I know quite a few people on the site forum as well, and some have been my travelling companions too.
Regards
Renate

Am signed up there, and have been after Chris' books for a while - I'll be getting Father Christmas to bring me that one and the Morocco Overland one as well ...

Cheers

HauptRenate said:
Do people still still believe in Father Christmas Gary? ;)
Renate
Of course :thumbup: AND the tooth fairy. :lol:
Chas

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Gary Stockton said:
I'll be getting Father Christmas to bring me that one and the Morocco Overland one as well ...
The Morocco one is what has pretty much convinced me that it's not somewhere I'm likely to want to visit for pleasure. I can't remember what I thought of the Sahara one now, I should dig it out again!

Jon Wildsmith said:
The Morocco one is what has pretty much convinced me that it's not somewhere I'm likely to want to visit for pleasure. I can't remember what I thought of the Sahara one now, I should dig it out again!

Jon Jon Jon :naughty:

:mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:

The book is good reference, don't let it put you off

Jon Wildsmith said:
The Morocco one is what has pretty much convinced me that it's not somewhere I'm likely to want to visit for pleasure.
:shock: What has Chris said in his book to put you off Jon?

I had a fairly negative view of Morroco as a destination for my tastes anyway (I'd rather be too cold than too hot for starters) but what I got from the book was that anywhere there's people you'll be pestered by either crooks or lots of begging kids and many of the adults don't want you there (can't say I blame them) because of what tourism is doing to their kids.

Having been to Libya several times I thought I would try a slightly easier destination and bought the Morroco book. Like Jon it also put me off bothering going.

Ian

So Libya is also on my wish-list - have you got a trip report or something to post?? Quite intrigued by the country ...

While Morocco is an experience never to be forgotten :o , I can't see me going back there, there are other places I find more appealing, next year Russia :thumbup: , I hope :pray: .
Chas

Cossack said:
While Morocco is an experience never to be forgotten :o , I can't see me going back there, there are other places I find more appealing, next year Russia :thumbup: , I hope :pray: .
Chas
Russia is definately of more interest to me but it may be a few years before the planets are suitably aligned :)

Didn't expect you guys to give me bad feedback about Morocco, especially since I wasn't discussing any one country above any other desert country! - I've never been as I prefer the more out of the way places anyway - i.e. the harder it is to get there, the better I enjoy it....where there arn't many tourists, as I find them an unpalatable uncaring insensitive bunch, and this is why I go to Libya, Colonel Ghadaffi is not everyone's cup of tea, admittedly, but I've been there a few times and I will keep on returning.
'Tourists' damage the desert, fact, but there are others who really appreciate the desert, and hence try not to damage it at any cost, I count myelf with those who respect the desert and her ways, and the lives of her people and her wildlife. It is still pristine, and it is still a very fragile ecosystem, and as far as I'm concerned, deserves our respect, sensitivity and humility.
Looks like I can reserve it just for me then... at the end of the day it is my third 'home'
Cheers
Renate

Err,
I do have an old trip report but it is long-winded and it will probably bore the pants of you Gary. The Sahara-Overland HUBB forum has more up to date info if you're interested.
Regards
Renate

24Seven said:
I will fight Morocco's corner tomorrow need sleep now :mrgreen:

I'm guessing Morocco must be like Marmite :mrgreen:

I have looked long and hard for somewhere else to go for a four week trip and I cannot find anywhere else that gives you so much for so little.

Pros

Getting There, catch a ferry on a Friday night and be in Africa on Monday morning. :dance:

Costs, Once in Morocco the costs are very low, there is no problems with wild camping if you want to use a campsite it's around £3.50 a person, diesel is around 60p per L

Offroad, there are thousands of miles of pistes to explore and camp on.

Scenery, you have the moutains and the desert the scenery seems to change all the time and you just cannot believe your eyes at times.

Climate, you can have snow on the mountains and 40c in the desert all within a days travel, travelling in April / May I have only ever had three or four rainy days in eight weeks, perfect for camping.

The people, regardless of what seems to have said in the book, 99.9% of all the people are very pleased to see you and really want to interact with you, they will be very proud to show you their handy work, be it metal work, their crops or animals. They will look after you if you have problems and are far more generous with the their time and goods than anyone you will have met in the Euorpe, even though most of the people have very litte.

The people make Morocco fantastic IMO.

Culture, Morocco will be a massive culture shock for any first timer for sure (it was for me), unless you get to the border early in the morning you're in for a rough ride, but you will never forget it :mrgreen:

My first night in Morocco, we ended up in a very shabby campsite and I was awoken by the "Call to Prayers" thinking Jezz where the hell am I. :shock: again unforgettable though.

It really was a life changing experance for me.

Cons

Touts, in tourist areas touts can be a pain at times, more so in the North maybe, but they do in genarel take a firm "no" for an answer and move on to someone else, looking like a tramp seems to put them off me anyway. :mrgreen:

Poverty, it may be shocking and upsetting to see children without shoes and wanting clothes off you, this tends to be in the more rural areas of Morocco.

Food, the food eating out can be very bland, although if you buy meat its cheaper than the UK and very nice indeed, I had some fantastic steak last time I was there.

Kids, mostly in the Atlas area, the kids can be a pain playing "dare" with you on the rual tracks, it's not really a big deal tbh, once further south it seems to die out.

Spain, driving home across Spain it seem hard to except paying 18 euro for a night on a rubbish campsite and I'm always very cold oh and it always seems to be raining :mrgreen:

Back