Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

sand driving problems

turbo nick

Country Flag
australia
I have a hj61 drives well on the road ,however when driving along the beach
the steering and car start pulling to one side causing constant steering correction and oversteering.
At times so much that front wheels end up driving at an angle to the front .
Not sure what could cause this ? any ideas would be great

Hi Nick,

Do you have different tyres across any axles?
Are your brakes free and not binding at all?

Are you using any diff locks?

Welcome to the forum BTW. Pop over and introduce yourself when you can.

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the Forum. What sort of sand is it - compacted/ soft? Is it always pulling to the same side? Is it definitely not pulling at all on paved roads?

Have you the wheel and axle geometry checked, it sounds to me like the axles are out of alignment somehow (badly located leaf spring maybe) just guessing.

I have a hj61 drives well on the road ,however when driving along the beach
the steering and car start pulling to one side causing constant steering correction and oversteering.
At times so much that front wheels end up driving at an angle to the front .
Not sure what could cause this ? any ideas would be great

Hi Nick
You will see this effect if the tyres on an axle are at very different tyre pressures. Though, I guess, if you drop your pressures to drive on sand you would notice this?

Ok, this maybe an obvious suggestion but beaches are often at an angle, does it do it when pointing in any direction?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't know the 60 but i'm thinking if you lock diffs the rear wheels will be pushing the fronts wheels because steering demands that the fronts must travel further than the rear ?

By over steering do you mean the back end is wandering or do you mean you have to put more steering effort in?. I suspect if the truck is fine on tarred roads then it’s the effect of the driving surface rather than a problem with alignment etc

Sand driving is always vague on steering input. On hard packed sand I find the whole truck can get what’s best described as a squirmy feel at certain speeds. Soft sand everything is very vague and lots of steering input required to maintain your desired course

In my limited experience in Qatar, the Pajero I had drove more like a hovercraft than a truck, in soft dry sand.

We were aired down and at the right speed, it felt like it was floating. Controllable, but very different from a harder surface, or mud, or snow/ice.

Sand driving is a unique experience IMO.

It would help diagnose these symptoms if you told us if you changed from 2WD to 4WD when you went on the beach and if your 61 has a LSD in the back axle or a locker and whether you have engaged it.
Also like someone mentioned hard sand or soft?

I reckon your steering geometry is off, causing sand to build up on the outside of the wheel, pulling the vehicle round

"It drove more like a hovercraft than a truck" We were aired down and at the right speed, it felt like it was floating. Controllable, but very different from a harder surface, or mud, or snow/ice.

Sand driving is a unique experience IMO.
Yep, I had that same feeling in Morocco. :wtf:

Even driving fast on corrugations is a recipe for disaster! Not that everyone understands that

Even driving fast on corrugations is a recipe for disaster! Not that everyone understands that
I would disagree with that, there is an optimal speed for corrugations depending on vehicle, suspension and tyres but is commonly around 50-65mph

also specify your tires as some tires have a square profile whilst others have a more rounded profile

you didn't say what pressure your tyres were at

Back