Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sardinia 4x4

mettisse

Supporter
hello, I’ve been looking at you tube vids of Sardinia because I and the crew want to tour there in September. We have our eyes on a road book advertised in the French magazines. I’ve been there on a “holiday factory” holiday last year, so it’s not like I don’t know the place, but that’s just it, I don’t “ know” the place. Is there anyone on the forum thats already been to Sardinia for froading? We are thinking of a 7 day of actual driving with a couple days in between languishing , probably 10-11 days overall. I am still looking and researching myself but you can’t beat a real experience to colour it all in. We have been froading in Corsica on organised events ( GRM Alta Rocca) and independently, so we have an idea. Also what is the cheapest route as we’ve been guilty overpaying in the past. Thanks in advance, best regards to all, Bill Westley

My friends from The Netherlands went on a 2 week or so trip to Sardinia and they said that it was a great place to plan an offroad/wild camping trip! I was just told this but... they enjoyed it so I trust their judgement.

Be very interested in seeing what you discover there!

Hi Bill, we've been there in 2015 with friends from the Netherlands ;-)
great place to go offroading.
took some pictures : http://www.ontroerend-goed.be/sardinialbum/sardiniaindex.html
loved the supramonte mountains and the malacalzetta mining region.
the north of the island is not interesting.
we took the ferry in genova.
openstreetmaps covers the island in detail.

Thanks for the response, may I ask did you buy road books to establish routes or did you just go commando? We have maps but at this stage we are unaware of the laws governing using tracks, in Corsica we had road books as there are lots of tracks but they are dead Enders , so research was essential, we are still at the planning stage. We quickly realised that what you said about the north was true, it seems the west and south west will be our destination areas. Once again thanks, anything else you can think of will be well appreciated Regards to all, Bill Westley

Last edited:
Thanks for the response, may I ask did you buy road books to establish routes or did you just go commando? We have maps but at this stage we are unaware of the laws governing using tracks, in Corsica we had road books as there are lots of tracks but they are dead Enders , so research was essential, we are still at the planning stage. We quickly realised that what you said about the north was true, it seems the west and south west will be our destination areas. Once again thanks, anything else you can think of will be well appreciated Regards to all, Bill Westley
Hi Bill, we've been there in 2015 with friends from the Netherlands ;-)
great place to go offroading.
took some pictures : http://www.ontroerend-goed.be/sardinialbum/sardiniaindex.html
loved the supramonte mountains and the malacalzetta mining region.
the north of the island is not interesting.
we took the ferry in genova.
openstreetmaps covers the island in detail.
4wd routes on wikiloc
https://nl.wikiloc.com/routes/alle-terrein/italie/regione-autonoma-della-sardegna
But we did our planning 'commando style' with the openstreetmaps.
hello again, loved the pics , it seems like you had a ball! Great eh? Thanks for the links, this is a great help, lots to look at and just at the right time, I would like to camp out, makes for more fun, however our 3 vehicles have the Monica of “Team Geriatric” and the other two cars won’t camp, no shame in that as they are accomplished froaders with very well prepared trucks, the youngest of our group is my Duchess at 65 and the eldest is 74, ( not me) and all quite fit and able. So our plans also involve finding good hotels nicely located with good Restuarant’s. Of course lunch is on the trail and we are are well equipped for that. We’ve had some very nice trips ranging from the Bardinechio trails and Morocco and Corsica based on a similar plan. Thanks again for your input Please add anything you may feel is relevant, best regards to all, Bill Westley

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Watching thread, very keen on doing Corsica and Sardinia sometime

I'll try to dig up the gpx.
At one point we arrived at a ranger station in a nature reserve zone. One of the rangers came directly to our convoy of three 4X4 trucks with the question if we were planning to go offroading (fuoristrada in italian). we said yes if possible. ok she said come with me and she showed us a map and pointed out the best tracks : no not that one, it's boring, but you have winch so definitely take that one, etc...
we had a ball! this was near supramonte.

the link below should get you the tracklog of our trip.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fUX8yhDYSrSqI6zMA-PU4lZMnLPMDEKL

Hello again thanks for the reply’s, (been off site for a bit overdone with work ) I can’t seem to get anywhere with the link you posted above or am I doing it wrong? Any tips for me?
Team Geriatric has had its first discussion meeting and they were delighted to look at your pics , very encouraging thanks, we have made the initial plans , booked the ferries, Genova/ Olbia, expensive? Yes indeedy! So we are going for two weeks but only 5 /6 day froading, along the lines of two days driving two days languishing,
We are now sorting hotel or Agritourismo type accommodation, but first we will establish a route as often, a short drive from the trails to the hotel works ok for us.
Thanks again, best regards to all, Bill Westley

Last edited:
I can’t seem to get anywhere with the link you posted above or am I doing it wrong? Any tips for me?
I tried it on my work computer and when I click on the link it opens the following screen and gives a message with a download button.
upload_2018-6-24_17-3-49.png

click on download and normally you should get a message with the option to save the file.

save it to the map of your choice.

I tried it on my work computer and when I click on the link it opens the following screen and gives a message with a download button.
View attachment 145848
click on download and normally you should get a message with the option to save the file.

save it to the map of your choice.
Will give it a go, thanks, Bill Westley

Back