Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sat nav GPS antenna

silvercruiser

Hello

Part of my project today was installing my new alpine dvd satnav headunit.

the first problem ive come up against is the facia is wider than a standard 2 din unit :doh: so will be ordering a new fascia to correct this.

The second thing, it comes with a gps antenna( spelling) that you can stick on the roof or mount on the dash. My LC already had navigation (very basic) so i have a gps antenna built into the dash just in front of the clocks. So can i use this for my new head unit? if so does anyone know what colour wire it is behind the head unit so i can splice into it? it seems silly to have to drill another hole in the dash when i already have one.

Hi Joe, when my Kenwood unit was installed they gust such the new GPS antenna inside the dash behind the radio at he top. Always worked fine with no issues. Just leave the old one alone as you can always return to standard easily

Hi Joe, when my Kenwood unit was installed they gust such the new GPS antenna inside the dash behind the radio at he top. Always worked fine with no issues. Just leave the old one alone as you can always return to standard easily

Cheers Tony

Funnily enough that is exactly how i have left it, cable tied up behind the head unit, there is a nice ledge on top of the heater ducts.

did they bother wiring in the speed signal cable etc?

Last edited:
No did not do the speed sender, but did do the reverse wired to switch to rear camera. Dont really need the speed sender as it works this out from the GPS, more accurate anyway. Only issue is tunnels, but it's not like we drive through the alps every day....

sounds Good to me ive got 6 months before i drive to the south of france so il give it plenty of trials and see how it copes.

Back