Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

SATNAV ON LC 100 IFS SEEMS LOST

kamalsrana

Garage
Country Flag
kenya
The Satnav seems lost, just shows red dots going in circles.

Was told its the GPS Aerial which sits on top of the dash, does anyone know if this can be repaired or is it something else. Toyota wants about £200 for a new one.

Anyone know how to fix this??

kamalsrana said:

Was told its the GPS Aerial which sits on top of the dash, does anyone know if this can be repaired or is it something else. Toyota wants about £200 for a new one.

Hi kamalsrana

I do have a 100 series, but sorry I have not got a clue where the GPS aerial is, and if it is that is at fault, but if it is a standard GPS antenna you can pick them up for about £30(admitting there is different types)

What you need to do is get to the back of the radio and find out what type of plug is on the GPS aerial ?

the other thing, have you tried removing the DVD and cleaning it and replacing it ??

Is it the TNS500 sat nav. If so it has a special plug on the end of it rather than the normal types of connectors. However yes you can pick them up on ebay for a lot less than Toyota want. However it could be a simple thing of needing to disconnect and reconnect it. They rely on the satnav unit to power them and sometimes a dry joint will mean it doesn't work.

I think the standard Toyota GPS antenna has the same plug on the end as fitted to Clarion units - I had a clarion unit in mine which seemed to have the same plug on the end as on the TNS500 I used to have in my 80.

Steve Wright said:
kamalsrana said:

Hi kamalsrana

I do have a 100 series, but sorry I have not got a clue where the GPS aerial is, and if it is that is at fault, but if it is a standard GPS antenna you can pick them up for about £30(admitting there is different types)

What you need to do is get to the back of the radio and find out what type of plug is on the GPS aerial ?

the other thing, have you tried removing the DVD and cleaning it and replacing it ??

Hi Steve, mate I tried to clean the dvd, I even took the unit out from under the seat, it seems to work fine, the only problem seems to be the aerial, the unit is a £3000 one, from toyota, so since my insurance does not cover that, I need to sort it out or replace, dont want a small Tomtom on my windscreen.

Thanks

Andy Harvey said:
Is it the TNS500 sat nav. If so it has a special plug on the end of it rather than the normal types of connectors. However yes you can pick them up on ebay for a lot less than Toyota want. However it could be a simple thing of needing to disconnect and reconnect it. They rely on the satnav unit to power them and sometimes a dry joint will mean it doesn't work.

I think the standard Toyota GPS antenna has the same plug on the end as fitted to Clarion units - I had a clarion unit in mine which seemed to have the same plug on the end as on the TNS500 I used to have in my 80.

Thanks Andy, I will take a look mate.

Can I recommend if you can't get it fixed, just do away with the sat nav and get a Pioneer HD1BT touch screen. Finally got everything working on mine - speed pulse, illumination etc and I have to say it is brilliant and the stereo sound is amazing with great dynamics even without a Sub on it (it supports it, just don't have one fitted).

The Sat Nav is very good (actually won awards) and because it has gyros as well as the speed sensor it can detect where you are pretty accurately even when it loses the GPS signal.

Plus it automatically records your CDs onto it's built in Hard Disk meaning you don't need a CD stacker and it also connects to your iPod.

Have to say it's the best stereo / sta nav combo I have ever had and it slots in really nicely in the 100 dash. Also support rear cameras, DVD input and TV with an external TV tuner.

Got mine for under £400 second hand on ebay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Andy Harvey said:
Can I recommend if you can't get it fixed, just do away with the sat nav and get a Pioneer HD1BT touch screen. Finally got everything working on mine - speed pulse, illumination etc and I have to say it is brilliant and the stereo sound is amazing with great dynamics even without a Sub on it (it supports it, just don't have one fitted).

The Sat Nav is very good (actually won awards) and because it has gyros as well as the speed sensor it can detect where you are pretty accurately even when it loses the GPS signal.

Plus it automatically records your CDs onto it's built in Hard Disk meaning you don't need a CD stacker and it also connects to your iPod.

Have to say it's the best stereo / sta nav combo I have ever had and it slots in really nicely in the 100 dash. Also support rear cameras, DVD input and TV with an external TV tuner.

Got mine for under £400 second hand on ebay.

Thanks for that I guess that will be the best course of action to take.

have a good weekend mate.

SATNAV
I have searched high and low, the only Pioneer SATNAV system Pioneer HD1BT touch screen, that I found was at Halfords, it will set me back by £699-00.

Andy, mate you got is for £400 on ebay, thats a real deal.

I am still searching let you know how I got on later.

Yep £369 to be exact plus I had to get a new power lead for it as the one with it was missing the Illumination wire which switches it between day colours and night colours (it's a bit bright using day colours at night.

Keep searching. They do come up on ebay quite a bit - there is one on at the moment but at £459 buy it now or make offer but it is missing the bluetooth module and the iPod module. These you can get for about £70-£90 on ebay and they are just a plug in modules. You can also buy another additional module which allows you to connect into a USb pen drive or even a normal external PC hard drive with a USB connection. You can also get a larger hard drive upgrade which takes it up to a 60 or 80gb hard drive which gives you more space for onboard stored music.

The one that is on there is from a dealer in Lithuania which I was a bit worried about using myself but I got my new power lead from them and they were OK and quick shipping.

Back