Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Satnav update for 120.

tony rodaway

Country Flag
uk
Hello guys.
Not been on here for a while as went up market and got myself a lexus is250.
Now I am selling my lexus as couldn't resist the temptation so go back to landcruiser.
Just picked up my 120 on 55 plate with 212000 with full service history. Second belt got changed in 2018 on 195000 with full invoice as proof.

My question is how do I update my satnav with out getting an aftermarket head unit.
I have a Toyota satnav disc 2017 but were does it go.

Only got it today hence if it has already been posted on here my apologies for being lazy.

Hope to get back to my off road adventures again very soon.

Welcome back....

The unit should be under the drivers seat

Screenshot_20191007_120031_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
OK thanks will go have a look and replace the disc if it makes any difference.

Hi

I decided to get a Tom Tom, it worked out easier and cheaper plus you get more regular updates.

G.

Hi

I decided to get a Tom Tom, it worked out easier and cheaper plus you get more regular updates.

G.
How do you eject the nav disc as don't give you an option just says contact you toyota dealer.
My lexus let's you eject the disc.

I have a technical question about my satnnav.
My satnav works perfectly but since its only 55plate the graphics are very dated.
My lexus is250 on 55 plate has similar satnav but the graphics are very upto date.
What part of the satnav system does the graphics and memory come from and has anybody evey tried the conversion to try it.
Before people say thats an expensive way to go its just an idea to keep as original look as possible to preserve its features even if just changing the display screen.

Just an idea.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have a technical question about my satnnav.
My satnav works perfectly but since its only 55plate the graphics are very dated.
My lexus is250 on 55 plate has similar satnav but the graphics are very upto date.
What part of the satnav system does the graphics and memory come from and has anybody evey tried the conversion to try it.
Before people say thats an expensive way to go its just an idea to keep as original look as possible to preserve its features even if just changing the display screen.

Just an idea.
Have you put your 2017 disk in .

I am toying with the idea to buy a second hand head unit from a lexus is250 and see if I can update that way.
If I get one and split it up into its own sections as if I can try swop the dvd component over from mine to the lexus providing the plugs fit or can be altered in some way.
Same with the screen form mine to lexus.
I no I can just go and buy an aftermarket stereo and what I want to do seems a lot of hassle but it's just little project I am contemplating if I can get a lexus stereo cheap enough.
Not sure if anyone has gone down this road but to look at both stereos they have the same controls just in different locations but all there.
Is it worth the hassle or am I just wasting my time.
I have found one on ebay for £106 so I am tempted just cheaper will be better that way if it don't work won't feel as bad. :text-feedback:

I am toying with the idea to buy a second hand head unit from a lexus is250 and see if I can update that way.
If I get one and split it up into its own sections as if I can try swop the dvd component over from mine to the lexus providing the plugs fit or can be altered in some way.
Same with the screen form mine to lexus.
I no I can just go and buy an aftermarket stereo and what I want to do seems a lot of hassle but it's just little project I am contemplating if I can get a lexus stereo cheap enough.
Not sure if anyone has gone down this road but to look at both stereos they have the same controls just in different locations but all there.
Is it worth the hassle or am I just wasting my time.
I have found one on ebay for £106 so I am tempted just cheaper will be better that way if it don't work won't feel as bad. :text-feedback:

Tony
I have just updated my disc to 2017 and was hoping for some improved graphics but i could hardly tell the difference to be honest, i guess the screen will need changing as its driven by its resolution

Simon

Have you seen the "Tesla" like screen upgrades? No idea about quality but they do look very good.

There was a thread on here from a 100 owner that did the conversion and seemed to be very pleased. Bit more cash but will future proof the system for a few more years.

Tony
I have just updated my disc to 2017 and was hoping for some improved graphics but i could hardly tell the difference to be honest, i guess the screen will need changing as its driven by its resolution

Simon

That was what I thought as I also updated my satnav disc to no different in screen settings.
That's when I came up with the idea to see if I could use the lexus stereo and satnav as a trial to see if any difference but just waiting for the right price as don't want to waste to much money if it goes wrong. :text-woo:

Have you seen the "Tesla" like screen upgrades? No idea about quality but they do look very good.

There was a thread on here from a 100 owner that did the conversion and seemed to be very pleased. Bit more cash but will future proof the system for a few more years.

I Have seen the tesla stereo and looks cool as watched the reviews on YouTube. Bit expensive and I won't use half of the apps and features it has as just seems like a laptop.

My 1st step when I find a lexus stereo is to try the dvd compartment to see if that works.

My 2nd step is to remove my satnav screen and replace with the lexus screen.

3rd step is to configure the controls from my stereo to the lexus one.

4th step as will probably have to adjust the plugs to accommodate the stereo to my settings.

I make it sound easy but I hope it is as I have no experience of this kind but looking at both stereo, s they are very similar in controls.
The only thing that may be a problem is the Bluetooth settings and phone settings but fingers crossed.

I will keep my findings upto date and see if it works or wasted my money. :text-worthless:

That was what I thought as I also updated my satnav disc to no different in screen settings.
That's when I came up with the idea to see if I could use the lexus stereo and satnav as a trial to see if any difference but just waiting for the right price as don't want to waste to much money if it goes wrong. :text-woo:

Changing screens wont work is it's touch screen not led.:angry-banghead:

Back