Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Saudi Arabia - Overlanding Heaven

20161119_101502.jpg
20161224_065226.jpg

Nice video and photos Rob.

Interesting scenery.

I got fed up with the flat-rock-covered-with-dust that Qatar is, and liked more the few times I’ve been to Oman.

I was working on the Qatar - Saudi Salwa Highway then, but never got into the KSA though.

The mountain area in Oman looks very similar to your video, I’ve visited the BidBid to Sur road project there a number of times.

Were the Saudi’s friendly towards you guys?

Just like the camels - Cannot speak their language, but they are friendly and curious as can be. Also, it must be said, not many tourists in the overlanding mode, are to be found.
The Locals are in awe of foreign western travellers who have experienced parts of their own country, normally that they themselves have yet to visit.
Navigation is challenging as the place name spelling differs widely and the english GPS mapsets are all out of date. Paper maps (english) are scarce and out of date.
There has been an explosion in the last couple of years in infrastructure in the country with new roads, new towns, new rail lines, new no-go areas (drill wells, pipelines, military areas) that add navigational complications.
But with fuel stations everywhere, small local shops (meaning essentials and oddities like cubed ice) everywhere - travel is way simpler than expected. for example, we only require a cooler box (hence the ice) as a powered fridge is really overkill.
but no beer or wine......bugger....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As Clive said before : looks a lot like Oman.
Easy travelling. LOTS of landcruisers!!

Just like the camels - Cannot speak their language, but they are friendly and curious as can be. Also, it must be said, not many tourists in the overlanding mode, are to be found.
The Locals are in awe of foreign western travellers who have experienced parts of their own country, normally that they themselves have yet to visit.
Navigation is challenging as the place name spelling differs widely and the english GPS mapsets are all out of date. Paper maps (english) are scarce and out of date.
There has been an explosion in the last couple of years in infrastructure in the country with new roads, new towns, new rail lines, new no-go areas (drill wells, pipelines, military areas) that add navigational complications.
But with fuel stations everywhere, small local shops (meaning essentials and oddities like cubed ice) everywhere - travel is way simpler than expected. for example, we only require a cooler box (hence the ice) as a powered fridge is really overkill.
but no beer or wine......bugger....

Correct me if I am wrong but I didnt think it was possible to get a tourist visa for Saudi?

So I'm guessing you're working over there?

I also thought females had to at the very least have their hair covered in public. Have you experienced any issues with your partner having her hair out? :think:

Great pics BTW and I love your short wheel base 70! :clap:

Hi All
thanks for the positive reviews...
yes, things are changing quickly here - lots of the old conservative issues are being moderated or dropped completely:
1. the religious police have effectively been detoothed.
2. western women only required wearing an abaya (by enlarge with exceptions in religious places) we are expecting this requirement to be dropped soon
3. tourist visas are now available for non-religious tourists - religious tourists were always welcomed
4. women will legally be allowed to drive (June)
5. cinemas have started screening again

we have had zero issues with Megan (or her hair) ((and we get around the entire country)), and, yes, I am on contract here:)

((and for Ben: V6 1GR-FE 200+kw.. , 2000kg GVM):smilingimp:

Nice pics, sounds as though things are starting to get a bit easier over there. We were living over in Jeddah when 911 happened but the company moved all expats out withing 2 weeks. , Handy to see you have some lecky you can hook into by the tent.....:)

Hi All
thanks for the positive reviews...
yes, things are changing quickly here - lots of the old conservative issues are being moderated or dropped completely:
1. the religious police have effectively been detoothed.
2. western women only required wearing an abaya (by enlarge with exceptions in religious places) we are expecting this requirement to be dropped soon
3. tourist visas are now available for non-religious tourists - religious tourists were always welcomed
4. women will legally be allowed to drive (June)
5. cinemas have started screening again

we have had zero issues with Megan (or her hair) ((and we get around the entire country)), and, yes, I am on contract here:)

((and for Ben: V6 1GR-FE 200+kw.. , 2000kg GVM):smilingimp:
Whow What a change , since my last contract there, could almost give up my present job and hurry back to Dhahran :)

Great stuff Rob. How did you manage that then. We couldn't get a visa when we tried a few years ago. I've always wanted to go there, even more so having seen that video and photos. Thanks for posting.

I have also worked in. Saudi, a short 3 week trip around 2005 I think (Dhahran), sounds like things are changing for the better. I always remember the first beer I had in Bahrain on way home At airport after a dry 3 weeks.
Also Spent a few weeks on training course in Dubai and had a day out dune bashing as a passenger in a 100 series cruiser, great fun

Reminds me of the days when we would 'pack up after work' and drive down the escarpment from Taif to Jizan in a GMC Suburban 4x4 for a whole weekend of wild camping , fishing , local sightseeing etc. Now with the issues going on between Saudi and Yemen I doubt if that would be possible now.

You have to come to the south of Saudi Arabia to see mountains, valleys and scenic views

To see mountains you would have to go to Taif , just a 3 hour drive from Jeddah. Done that route in a 4x4 Surbaban many times , Or you could go southwards towards Abha , Khamis Mushayt . Had the opportunity
to travel around Saudi, including off road and Thoroughly enjoyed it.

To see mountains you would have to go to Taif , just a 3 hour drive from Jeddah. Done that route in a 4x4 Surbaban many times , Or you could go southwards towards Abha , Khamis Mushayt . Had the opportunity
to travel around Saudi, including off road and Thoroughly enjoyed it.
You did not see AL BAHA city

Back