Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Saw something interesting on youtube.

mike smith

Country Flag
australia
I saw a guy changing his transmission fluid by sucking it out through the dip stick, will this work. What about the gunk inside the pan and the filter.

My question is this, is it recommended because it sure looks easy.

Apparently the act of draining through the drain plug back flushes the strainer and brings any crud collected there out with it. The pan is also designed to leave a quantity of the atf behind. I'm guessing Toyota had their reasons for this. Toyota have their reasons for pretty much all of what they do, so following the FSM is often a good idea.

Hey Mike remember what I said. Don't over think this. Unscrew plug, stand back, let fluid pour out. Gravity is your friend!

Yep, I know the technique, but out of the hundreds of members on here who all maintain their own vehicles with love and care, I can't think of one that does it this way.

Not wishing to be too blunt Mike and we all appreciate that you are new, but if you come on and ask how to drop the T fluid and we tell you, and then you suggest there is a better way to do it is perhaps not the best approach. All you need is a socket and a bowl. Perhaps a bit of rag.

We're here to help but you need to listen fella.

Are you for real, where did i say this was the way to do it, all i said was this what i had seen, not this was the way to do it.
If you had taken the time to read my thread, you would have understood what i said and it was said in a light hearted way. If i am going to get burned like this when i try to have a little fun, then maybe im on the wrong site.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Calm down Mike. You asked if it was the way to do it. I know that because I did read your thread. Light hearted? Fun? I think you need to read your own post buddy.

I've spent longer answering this than it would take to drain the fluid. You're not in the wrong place at all, this is THE place to be. But you need to start listening to the people who you are asking for help Mike.

You know what, suit yourself. I'm done.

I think perhaps we need a little time to get used to each other's difference in humor, unfortunately your initial post read as serious not humorous to me so I too was caught out lol.

From a purely mechanical view point I would not advocate siphoning fluid out the fill tube, there is a reason the drain plug is situated at the lowest point and that is to allow any metal debris or contaminants to drain out when an oil change is performed and thus be removed from the sump.

Came across to me as a serious question too. It's very easy to lose the meaning in written words so always best to assume a no offence line is being taken.

The other thing is if you really want to drain your ATF with a drinking straw while standing in a bucket naked that's your choice (just hold the pics on that one if you don't mind), but you're on your own. Trailblazing if you like. :)

A lot of marine engines are done this way as there is virtually no access to remove sump bungs in many installations. I think with any oil change it was always good practice to use a good engine flush to break down the crud. If you are still not happy then maybe running some kero or cheap oil through before refilling might show any crap. Ideally you wouldn't be doing this on a d4d engine as they have enough trouble keeping their bottoms clean as it is!

Best engine flush I have seen used on an internal combustion engine was ATF, works wonders.
A engine is nothing after a automatic gearbox, and ATF is a cleaning agent for that.

Lots of car dealers will use the method described by the OP .
However....the reason I never send our vehicles to the garage is precisely because that is what they do.
Some gearboxes are now "sealed for life" and the only way to change oil is the suction method .

The sealed for life gearbox in my e38 has no way to check the fluid, no dip stick, and ZF say the lifetime of the gearbox is 70.000 km or 10 years, which ever comes first if I remember right.

Guys I’ve had this method used a few times with the Cruiser with one mechanic. Only difference as to be told was this method takes more of the old oil out than the plug method underneath.

Not something that a old Cruiser is really gonna make a difference one way or another rather that oil changed are done on time is a better bet.

All the best

I dont believe this, i could have told you about the guy using a vacuum cleaner to siphon the fluid through the filler pipe, or the guy trying to suck it out with a big straw, why cant you people see things in a lighter vein rather than being, i have been on here for years and i know everything and how dare some new guy come here and tell us what to do, perish the thought.

I dont think this is the place for me and a few of you would agree. I have had some good advice and i thank you for that, but really you get upset over something that even to me sounded stupid, i only posted it to see what you guys would say, not have a go, if thats the way your mind thinks, i feel sorry for you.

By im gone.

So, let me get this right,

1. Guy joins and asks question,
  2. Gets answer
  3. Reads handbook for answer and decides to tell all US citizens they're morons…twice.
  4. Gets all manner of pointers on how to use forum.
  5. Looks on youtoob for answer
  6. Posts alternative answer
  7. Gets referred gently back to 2
  8. Refers back to 5
  9. Gets led back and shown 2 in big neon letters
  10. Gets upset and offended
  11. Has a reasoned discussion occur on his thread about the OP
  12. Gets even more upset 'cos we're all know-alls, and leaves.
I can only think that his PC displays something completely different to what we've written. Or am I missing something?

See ya Mike, stay lucky, it's been fun.

No word of a lie, I just got offered this by Youtoob
I'm now beginning to think in being polite, it actually comes across as offensive! :think:

It seems apologies are in order, Mike, as it seems we've not been saying the right things. I'm going to have to watch a few more of these to get myself saying things the right way.… Ya sheep shagger. (Thought I'd Start practicing and get used to a few helpful phrases straight off, hope you like it)
:laughing-rolling:

How could I have been getting it so wrong! :doh:

With that tutorial how could you go wrong hahaha. I almost want to start spelling the way I talk for the amusement of non Australians here. I could imagine some of the pommy gits here would have some pretty interesting lingo also:laughing: . I work with an older pom and he messes with me like that.

Back