Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Screeching wiper spindle

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
Well, I seem to be having a succession if issues with my new ( to me) 2005 120. Shock absorbers all round, floppy gear lever and now screeching wipers which nearly drove me mad in the rain today. So not sure 86k , one careful owner and full Toyota service history is necessarily the business! Perhaps I should have bought a Touareg after all! Still, there’s Lockdown to sort things out.., So can someone point me to the threads on this. The noise seems to come from the driver’s side spindle. When I tried removing the nut holding the arm to the spindle it wouldn’t undo- it just moves the whole wiper linkage. Also there seems to be a lot of play in the spindle. WD 40 sprayed around the spindle makes no difference. So what to do? Help please.

Did you try washing the windscreen first ? shaving foam is great for killing wiper squeak .

It’s not the wiper blades The noise is coming from the spindle/wheel box At moment I’m afraid of shearing off the spindle because I can’t get the nut holding on the arm to budge. Wonder if it’s going to be a new linkage? If so then where from and how to get at it!

I remember having a problem with my wipers making a similiar noise on my last LC, i took the mechanism out and cleaned it all up and greased the joints, it was fine after that. Dont recall any difficulties getting the unit out?

Simon

It’s not the wiper blades The noise is coming from the spindle/wheel box At moment I’m afraid of shearing off the spindle because I can’t get the nut holding on the arm to budge. Wonder if it’s going to be a new linkage? If so then where from and how to get at it!

I'm on my 3rd linkage. Grab the wiper arm where it joins the spindle and see if you have any play. A couple of mm is OK, you may find a lot more. Milners sell pattern parts for about £60. Originals are about £150. If I could have got hold of an original in a hurry when I replaced the last one I would have. I think the copy lasted me about 50K miles, but I live in Wales so wipers get used a lot!

If it's just squeaking a little play, then agree with Simon. Just grease.

To remove the mechanism you prise off the covers on the wiper arm, and unbolt them. That should be easy. Pulling the arms off the spindles can be difficult. I had to take the hit on some sctaches and work them off with mole grips, but you might get away with WD40 and lots of wiggling about. Then you need to take off the plastic cover that runs the width of the bulkhead, quite a few clips to unscrew and prise out. Once that is off the mechanism is held in with a couple of easy to get at bolts.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I too looked at those Karl, and another design, but wasn't sure as the recess around bottom of spindle is deep into the plastic scuttle. Fortunately with lots of tugging by hand at various points they came off. The n/s one is a bugger, as near the centre, and had to lay partly across bonnet for access. I also found that with the wipers on the screen they put bias pressure on, which makes things difficult. I took those off which allowed a more square pull by hands. On replacing I smeared copper grease on the splines, hoping next time they won't bind so much on the taper.

Probably too much plastic to get it in there, based on Tractionman's useful info above!

It was an old Mercedes I did it on, and there was plenty of space - never really thought about it though!

Thanks for all the help. Now sorted. First getting the nuts off the spindles to move needed a lot of torque. Then the arms themselves wouldn’t come away from the spindles. So ordered one of the Pullers mentioned above but not enough access room to fit. So eventually put on spare nut loose on the spindle and tapped with a hammer. That was enough to get the arms moving and eventually wiggled off. There was a lot of play in the driver’s side wheelbox so found a genuine replacement on eBay for less than MrT. Copper greased bolts on refit etc and now working as it should. Concluded as the truck has spent its last 15 years in Wet West Wales , the wipers must have been used a lot! Great help from everyone here. Thank you.

Back