Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seat belts

Tractionman

Country Flag
england
This is an odd one (to me anyway). Just prepping my 2006 lc3 for mot, and on coming to check 3rd row rear fold up seats that have 2 inertia belts in normal high bolt on positions, find there are 3 receivers with red release buttons across both seats in their down position and one other small grey receiver with a smaller slot and no red button, so 4 receivers in total. WTF?
Is there another belt part or more that is missing, like a lap that plugs into the odd grey one and one other normal red? That would leave the outer 2, L and R hand to plug in to the other reds as normal. I have removed those seats now, as I want the boot room, and don't need the extra passenger carrying capacity anyway, and to get round the mot, but I am as curious as he'll to understand what Mr T has designed here. Thanks.

Just had a look on mine.... do you have a belt that sits up in the roof? If so thats for the middle seat, and has two buckles on it! See attached!

Good luck for the MOT!!!

Attachments

• 20200910_154120.jpg
    20200910_154120.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200910_154124.jpg
    20200910_154124.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200910_153951.jpg
    20200910_153951.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 32
Great response, thanks Karl. Went out there had a look, no roof fixing. There's no obvious place that a 3rd belt in there could be bolted, yet those fold down make 3 seats and there are 3 receivers, 4 with that little grey one. I had a thought that could the little grey one be isofix for child seat? but that s no help for location of normal belt. The fixed second row middle seat belt comes out of the top of the seat, but not this one.
None of this makes any sense, must be my age !!

Karl, your a diamond mate, and Im a donut. Your pictures spoke a thousand words when I scrutinised them enlarged, especially the last one. Looked again and it is in the roof, back above the rear door, which I thought was part of the rear load light. The strap and both buckles are neatly tucked away virtually flush to the roof.
As said, amongst other things, it must be my age. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it !! Thanks again mate.

haha no problem mate mystery solved! I didn't spot that belt up there for at least 12 months. They hide it well don't they!!

Agreed. I had it in my mind I was looking for something bulky. It's been 10 months and your help to discover mine. Hahaha. About ready now, doesnt expire till 22nd, but will book in tomorrow, will let you know.
You never know, I could be one of the Straight Through Crew, (pigs might fly) heehee.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Off topic but update on that mot Karl. FAILED. after feeling pretty confident, ( but never 100%) and a different tester this time, needs front drop links. He showed me where the rubber was perished here and there and I agree.
One advisory, because he could see pitting etc underneath, despite all my cleaning off, treating, painting and underseal,( you can never get smooth after rust) he put underside covered with underseal.

Couple of drop links isn't a bad fail sheet though is it! :clap:

Mine failed on the same this year! :)

I'm in good company then. Is yours grey by any chance ?, lol
It's always nice to go straight through, but no it's not bad and not too serious. Mot guy said good for 14/15 year old vehicle.
Still can't get over the statement, Monitor and repair as necessary (advisories). "Vehicle underside covered in underseal". I know what he's getting at, but if I go by that statement, then I need to rectify by removal? Or maybe overpainting with something else. All tongue in cheek of course !
Aren't the majority of cars, regardless of age covered in underseal underneath?
This particular guy is ok, and I don't want to rock the boat, but certain things like that get under my skin.
All in all good when I get links done, and no more bollox till next year. Cheers mate.

I'm in good company then. Is yours grey by any chance ?, lol
haha Unfortunately not - probably the best colour overall I think.

I've got black - it's a bugger to keep clean, but I never learn and keep buying black cars!

It's always nice to go straight through, but no it's not bad and not too serious. Mot guy said good for 14/15 year old vehicle.
Still can't get over the statement, Monitor and repair as necessary (advisories). "Vehicle underside covered in underseal". I know what he's getting at, but if I go by that statement, then I need to rectify by removal? Or maybe overpainting with something else. All tongue in cheek of course !

I've always found advisories to be a bit variable.

I've had cars that have had advisories, then I've done nothing about it and took it somewhere else next year. More than half the time the old advisory never got mentioned. I think a lot of it is down to the geezer on the day - maybe its more scientific these days, but ....!

I'm all for driving a safe vehicle, but some mot testers see it as a power trip, working to their own agenda as well as VOSA, so there is no uniformity across the board. My lj78 has several chips on the windscreen, not in the field of vision for a fail and thethe tester of many moons ago dismissed it. The one of late (not the present one), puts everything down year after year and I didn't do anything about it, so pretty pointless and ineffective.
Boosted his jobsworth ego I suppose. No science there lol

Back