Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seats - electric/manual/heated/unheated

jonnyboy54321

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
So

Need to know what's involved in a potential switch of interior on a GX from velour to leather? I've got a lousy drivers seat as it is.
The leather in question is electric adjustment and heated, my GX is manual unheated seating. I believe, and this just from hearsay, that the wiring loom may be already present in all LC's? I cannot check this right now as of course I am on damned crutches - so just wondering if you lovely experts can shed any light for me? Otherwise it could be a no-go as I don't really want to have to rewire the whole s*dding car just to fit some nice leather seats (and door cards!).
Moving on, what about the heated part? They are heated ones, which work apparently, but I have unheateds in mine - what would be needed to make them work?
Many, many thanks guys.

John

I had the seat out of mine today as it was being re stuffed. It looked to me like all the plugs were there. The only one plugged in was the lumbar bar. Generally Toyota don't make dedicated wiring looms. it's a one loom does all deal. I don't have ABS but all the plugs are there dangling just like it's been nicked.

oooh that sounds promising. Now just to find out about how to get the heaters to work...

You've lost me. Thought you said you were taking the velour unheated ones out and putting the leather ones in? Put them in, plug them in, plug in the switches, find the fuse location and pop in a fuse. Should be about it. The heating elements are in the seats - no?

I should be able to get a pic of the wiring under the seat this weekend while I'm stripping my Recaro out.

You've lost me. Thought you said you were taking the velour unheated ones out and putting the leather ones in? Put them in, plug them in, plug in the switches, find the fuse location and pop in a fuse. Should be about it. The heating elements are in the seats - no?

That's what I am hoping - just double checking there is nothing extra to do to the heating circuit - relays/control units/timers etc.....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ach.
Just pinged the centre console out as I have sourced some heated seat switches. No loom there.
Slid seats right back to scout about underneath (remember, I am on crutches), can't see any signs of power seat/heated seat multiplugs under there either.
Only thing to note was a strange round thing in white plastic (actually looked like a miniature fan housing) under the drivers one, wonder what that it...?
What a b*gger.....

Hmmm - drawing a blank here.
People saying loom won't be there.
People saying it will.
Grrrr

And I am saying, I am staggered that it's not there. It's just not like Mr T.

The heated seat switch section is one million percent not there - I know as the centre console top is out (I managed that on crutches).
Haven't taken the seats out (obviously) but sliding them and looking underneath there is no sign of a loom at all.

I reckon the alarm & wiring fairy has been busy again!

When i had my leather seats out to refurbish them i'm sure i found a plug somewhere maybe its hidden under the carpet , i will try to find it tomorrow and post a pic . I agree with Chris that Toyota seems to work on a 1 loom fits all principal . I have found loads of unused connections on my relatively low spec GX and so i'm inclined to think they were all built to be top spec then Toyota removed parts to lower spec and price to appeal to a larger market .

My truck has never had heated seats but if i were to guess where the switch would be if it did i would say in the centre console behind the gearsticks . I have 2 blanks there .

Last edited:
....but if i were to guess where the switch would be if it did i would say in the centre console behind the gearsticks . I have 2 blanks there .

Yes, they are just behind the transfer lever on the centre console.

First post for me, so please forgive me if it takes a few attempts to get the photos to work. Here are some from my recent job of repairing a broken heated seat element including one of a jammed one pound coin which prevented full seat travel. (Failed with photobucket as don't have 15 posts).

Attachments

• P1020388-800x600.jpg
    P1020388-800x600.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 92
  • P1020392-800x600.jpg
    P1020392-800x600.jpg
    325.4 KB · Views: 98
  • P1020393-800x600.jpg
    P1020393-800x600.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 92
  • P1020399-800x600.jpg
    P1020399-800x600.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 87
  • P1020402-800x600.jpg
    P1020402-800x600.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 108
  • P1020404-800x600.jpg
    P1020404-800x600.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 102
Interesting post and welcome.
I have tried blowing up the last pics but can't tell - where the loom comes out of the carpet, is there a connector there (white) or is it a label or the likes? Cheers

Loom comes out just behind the mounting bolt hole. There is skme white tape wrapped around the plastic sheathing where there is also a black plastic clip which holds the loom into a hole under the carpet. The brown plug is the free end and the only connector in that area. Will try to take a more detailed picture when there is some light.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 142
Thanks for that.
I fear that mine 100% doesn't have said loom unless it is tucked away under the carpet.
Blasted crutches - could have had a seat out and carpet up in not too long to check grrrrrrrrr

Just checked my truck for you Jonny its there but under the carpet , i reckon i could probably pull out the connection if i tried without removing the seat coz i can get hold of that ribbed pipe protector through an existing factory cut in the carpet .

Back