Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seeking advice.

mickeywatt

Country Flag
mexico
First time owner. This is embarrassing but I misunderstood what I was purchasing. Spanish is not my strong suit but I don’t have an ach system. I purchased a 2006 uzj100l
That is full time 4wd and looking for advice on converting away from full time 4wd. and lifting my truck 1.5-2”. I attached are the specs of my truck. Opinions of suspension upgrades ie. brands would be greatly appreciated. I would like to add some bigger larger bf Goodrich all terrain tires. All ideas welcome. What would you do if it were your truck?
I have a k&n intake, doug thirdly headers, walker cats, and exhaustpackage to install. I am hoping to boost power a bit. The truck has 17 inch stock rims 270/65/17 tires at this point.

upload_2020-2-15_17-7-35.png
[URL='https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/attachments/0b16b853-911d-433d-ba4c-0fbe87510af0-png.163916/']
[/URL]

First time owner. This is embarrassing but I misunderstood what I was purchasing. Spanish is not my strong suit but I don’t have an ach system. I purchased a 2006 uzj100l
That is full time 4wd and looking for advice on converting away from full time 4wd. and lifting my truck 1.5-2”. I attached are the specs of my truck. Opinions of suspension upgrades ie. brands would be greatly appreciated. I would like to add some bigger larger bf Goodrich all terrain tires. All ideas welcome. What would you do if it were your truck?
I have a k&n intake, doug thirdly headers, walker cats, and exhaustpackage to install. I am hoping to boost power a bit. The truck has 17 inch stock rims 270/65/17 tires at this point. Also, truck has 57,000km is pretty cherry..

View attachment 163940

B0AD1259-54BA-4560-9EC9-44C89FE5A5E6.png 3B10A46D-3095-46B4-91CC-2D6013D08306.jpeg CFE82D53-2E39-4811-BCBA-92F60500D40B.jpeg 6A48B644-D709-40C0-99E7-B8D5C3FAFFC8.jpeg 20688B4F-E37B-41C7-B482-4AE672EE51D3.jpeg BF7063A5-D2F5-467F-8179-77833DD89F3E.png

Well the truck from the pics looks great, seems like a good choice, take a look through some videos on you tube by 4xOverland and I hope you will change your idea of changing the vehicle from 4 to 2 wheel drive. The author of those videos puts very good reasons on why 4 wheel drive is so much superior to 2 wd I personally agree with that idea to stay 4WD. There are perceptions of vehicle mileage and component savings which although may be true, the gains are minimal, and to change a truck from 4 to 2 really IMO is a waste of effort for what may be gained, The truck was designed to be 4WD, “ if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” Mr Toyota put in loadsadosh on the design to get the Landcruiser what they are, fabulous! Enjoy the ride, and I may add that I believe this is one of the best forums available, so, good choice on the vehicle and the forum, Best regards, Bill Westley

Last edited:
I agree with mettisse,

Looks like you've got a great 100 there, if you misunderstood what you were purchasing, and wanted a 2wd why don't you just sell it on and get a 2wd of comparable size if it's size you are really intrested in.

I think you will be wrecking a pefectly good LC 100 for no reason, and if you do try to change it 2wd I think you will end up with more problems than it's worth.

If you are intent on changeing it to 2wd then you have a few options, you could remove a propshaft, front would be my choice, or even better fit freewheeling hubs to the front hubs.

Again, "misunderstood what I was purchasing" so in other words you didn't want a 4wd and you wanted something with more power and higher off the ground, may I ask why? Because you might as well just have bought a 'People Carrier' in the first place.

Just my humble opinion.:)

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi MW, nice piece of kit you have there, I wish our UK Cruisers looked like that.
Like the other members above I can't see what you would achieve converting a designed to be a permanent 4WD vehicle into a part time 4WD vehicle incurring quite a cost for a negligible saving.
I have a 100 series also but wouldn't consider changing anything on it, its fabulous.

I want the option to change to 4wd.. but from the sound of it the gas savings are negligible... thanks you all.
Hi MW, nice piece of kit you have there, I wish our UK Cruisers looked like that.
Like the other members above I can't see what you would achieve converting a designed to be a permanent 4WD vehicle into a part time 4WD vehicle incurring quite a cost for a negligible saving.
I have a 100 series also but wouldn't consider changing anything on it, its fabulous.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I want the option to change to 4wd.. but from the sound of it the gas savings are negligible... thanks you all.
You want the option to change to 4wd, I thought you wanted to change to 2wd?

I am suuuper jealous of that head unit. You can easily put any 2din unit you like, unlike 95% of the European facelift (5 speed auto) models that have the nav/climate combo....

You want the option to change to 4wd, I thought you wanted to change to 2wd?
I apologize for my lack of clarity. I currently have an awd truck. I was thinking of changing to 2wd with the option of shifting back into 4wd. However, the youtube video suggested in a previous response indicated that fuel consumption is not reduced by even noticeable amount.

The truck has stock 17" rims with 275/65 tires. do you think I could bump up to a 285/70 with the stock suspension?

Yes, you can. 285/70/17 is 32.7".
The 100 can run 33" with no mods.
I am getting conflicting info about stock AHC and 34" which I want to try.

I am suuuper jealous of that head unit. You can easily put any 2din unit you like, unlike 95% of the European facelift (5 speed auto) models that have the nav/climate combo....
Thanks. I purchased a sony multimedia receiver with a 7" display./ back-up camera/ Jl Audio 900w 5 channel amp with Jl 6.5 c3 component speakers for front, 6.5in jl c2 for the rear passenger doors and an 8 inch w3 sub for the cargo area and a 10in w3 in a truck box i can pull in and out as needed. Also about 100 sq ft of 2.2mm sound proofing material. I am excited to see how she sounds.

Yes, you can. 285/70/17 is 32.7".
The 100 can run 33" with no mods.
I am getting conflicting info about stock AHC and 34" which I want to try.

Thanks for the information Ivan. I am not mechanically inclined at all. As far as shocks, springs and torsion bar goes. My "new" vehicle is a purchase from my uncle aunt and uncle in law. Their live in assistant drove it on paved roads only and it has 57,000 km on it. I plan have taken in on trails once thus far where I like to fish, which necessitate 4wd drive when it rains . I don't have much need to lift the vehicle much and would prefer not to sacrifice how smooth it rides. Could you recommend a brand of shocks, torsion bar and springs that would lift the truck minimally and keep the on road ride as smooth as possible?

Many thanks !

Back