Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Seems such a shame there cannot be one local LC / Club forum

24Seven

Monitoring all the various "local" based LC "Clubs" it seems behind the scenes we cannot even agree on a name.

Is this open for vote? or are we going to have two local forums / clubs?

Is this even a Club?

Whats wrong with joining ELCO and gaining all that knowledge the list has if it's just a name holding this back......now come on?

Like a say it seems such a shame. :?

is elco actually a forum then?

Its not currently a forum but there is a discussion on the future of ELCO. I personally think its a great idea to merge the 2 and keep the ELCO name.

BTW what happened to the Toyota badge on the 'logo'?

Rob said:
Its not currently a forum but there is a discussion on the future of ELCO. I personally think its a great idea to merge the 2 and keep the ELCO name.

That's two of us wanting to keep ELCO alive, also for me with Julian taking an equal role in the new joint club. :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Joined elco when i first got a cruiser, seem to remember i was just bombarded with emails about stuff that didn't really concern me and was hard work to leave.

We've asked / discussed with Julian what you're asking about and I don't think any of us have a problem adopting the ELCO name and keeping a mailing list going for those who can't live without it but it's up to Julian what he does with ELCO not us. TBH I think he's got cold feet about stepping back from ELCO and that's the real issue which is only natural.

So this new Club can be called ELCO?, I apologise thought a merger was going to fail over this (in my mind) minor isssue.

From Julian Voelcker

Thanks for all the responses on and off list so far.

It looks like a merger will result in the loss of the ELCO 'brand' and
also with so many people wanting to stay with a mailing list my gut
reaction now is to step back from a merger.

Still a shame though :cry:

I put it like this Matt - Adding European in front of Land Cruiser Club is sensible, changing Club to Owners is no big deal either, what does it say now :mrgreen: I'm not saying there's not some reluctance to lose the shiney new name but I think from this side of negotiations everyone is being very pragmatic and just looking for what will be the best outcome for cruiser heads ;) That's just my interpretation of where things stand at the moment Matt and I am just one voice ... AFAIK this IS a club and anyone who wants to get involved is more than welcome. Do you have Julians phone number? :lol:

Like i said, i can't quite figure out the point of ELCO, but why not just have a link and let people do their own thing.

24Seven said:
Rob said:

That's two of us wanting to keep ELCO alive, also for me with Julian taking an equal role in the new joint club. :)

Works for me too. I have been a member of ELCO for a while but don't understand all the plain text stuff so don't post too often. There are a lot of good people there with loads of knowlege.
I would like to see the merger, and also see some more of the ELCO folk on here but it seems a lot of them are not interested in forums. I know they are chatting about programming things at the moment. It's all over my head but I hope a solution to please all is found.

Being actively worked on, guys - watch this space ...

Cheers

makes sense to merge the two- the idea of turning ELCO into a forum has been floated a few times over the past- and lets be honest alot of the ELCO regulars are now here so it sort of makes sense to combine.

Best to do it at the start- and hopefully people will realise the benefits to all of this site become "ELCO" and gaining from the valuable posts that ELCO has had over the past few years. If needs be can help process data to make it "forum" compatible if it helps.

Tying forums together always strikes me as a good idea- i run a all-makes forum (for people who compete and greenlane- plus a bit of expeditions), and pointing people here for Toyota Tech would be just dandy! (for that matter- who's the MOD/Admin here to ping a pm to?)

Me, Crispin, Jon or Andrew Prince - probably best chat to Crispin in the first instance.

As for partnership with ELCO, we are progressing :lol: And not just like at the UN!

As long as we dont loose what we have here.

I think that's the objective, which is why I prefer the term 'partnership' - semantics, possibly, but important. We're all equal, and NONE are more equal, to steal a phrase from the late great GO.

Cheers

Crispin said:
Paul said:
As long as we dont loose what we have here.

That's the idea ;)

I don't want to sound rude but...

A three week old forum against a long established group of LC guys and overlanders.

I would be jumping though hoops to join up with ELCO / Julian but hay what do I know :?

What will happen if ELCO / Julian does go to a forum format?

Worth thinking long and hard about IMO.

Just to add my tuppence worth.

Yes a combined force makes so much sense. ELCO has been running a long time, has a wealth of knowledge and a good name amongst those in the know. Plus Julian also has a wealth of knowledge and a great spanner man to boot.

I think what the LC community in the UK has lacked is something of the like of IH8MUD in the US. Yes they have been going a long time and also have a far wider audience, however what they have is many fold.

What we need is a site that combines the best of what is available on ELCO - the tight knit community, the knowledge and what is available on here which is a new approach, a lot of enthusiasm and also a lot of people with loads of knowledge.

Put that together in a package that has the following:

A great Forum
Technical Articles
A Gallery
Videos
A good set of links
A good set of affiliates - companies offering deals and support

Add to this what seems to be a great attitude that is here - no bitching about ebay, other sites in signatures, flexibility and also the attitude that we are all adults so can take the odd bit of ribbing, but deliberate flaming and insulting is out of order and you have the makings of a first class site.

The forum is already off to a great start, lots of posts, lots of interest, lots of enthusiasm.

I think that there must be some way of accomodating the name, how about a combination of the two names (and have a strap line that says - incorporating the *****

My suggestion for a start

ELCC - European Land Cruiser Club. Got bits of both.

Just to add, for anyone who feels they need to post some pictures and link them back to here rather than post on photobucket or one of the other more general photo sites, I have built a temporary gallery for this site on my web space until something else comes along.

It is at Land Cruiser Club Gallery

Back