Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Sell or break - prices dropping?

Derek

Garage
Country Flag
scotland
Ive had a 1995 24v 4.2 manual gs in moonglow pearl for the last 5-6 years. At around the start of the year I also picked up a 94 4.5 jdm petrol as a donor (vx limited spec). Started stripping a few bits off the donor, and around the same time the mot expired on the gs.

A couple weeks later, the bargain of the century 97 24v manual Amazon came up locally on FB marketplace for a price i couldn’t say no to.

So now I have 3 trucks on the driveway. All the nice bits I was going to transfer onto my gs are now going onto the Amazon.

I’m left with the dilemma of what to do with the tatty gs. It needs wings repaired and painted (see my thread) tailgate and a couple other bits sorted before sale. Mot shouldn’t be a problem.

But my Amazon needs a front diff, lockers and a couple other bits and expensive pieces.

I could probably sink 1k plus time into the gs to have it ready to sell. And to get what? I’ve seen prices of everything plateau and sit on the market for weeks. Especially selling things here in NE Scotland.

Say for arguments sake I get £7500 for it. I might be better off making money breaking it and then saving money on buying the parts I need for mine. Buuuut I’ve been surprised at the lack of sales I’ve had from the petrol breaker.

How much does a 24v engine and manual box go for hmmmm…..

Attachments

• 8F96B552-5A5B-479E-8631-514572BE6207.jpeg
    8F96B552-5A5B-479E-8631-514572BE6207.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 101
  • D174D494-6B53-4DD5-847C-61FDCF10D345.jpeg
    D174D494-6B53-4DD5-847C-61FDCF10D345.jpeg
    436.6 KB · Views: 83
  • 61E85E31-3971-4E94-95AF-D50B9A25BD9F.png
    61E85E31-3971-4E94-95AF-D50B9A25BD9F.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
In my world an MOT makes a world of difference if you're selling an 80. That tatty 93 I sold a bit back was rough as toast but drove well and had a full MOT which did mention rust but not corrosion. At £5k it had a mass of interest and sold for the asking price although I did get offers above the £5K to steer it their way.
The place I'd first try is the FB forums, its a very large platform, thats where I sold the 93.

I'd sell it complete with MOT and then source the parts you need, there are some good parts folks have got squirrelled away, I have a pair of 80 diffs I bought years ago, just in case. they were out of a fire damaged GS with 60K in the clock. Up to now I've never needed them so things do pop up.

Oh I would definitely put an mot on it if I was to sell it whole.

It’s a strange market, anything 5k and below tends to sell within minutes. Then 5-9k you get everything from clean petrols to dreamers with rotten diesels and the odd nice enough manual. Then 9k above is clean ones with rear draws demanding stupid money.

Also a real nice diesel import on eBay in glasgow sat at 9k no bids. How can a tattier uk example get near that asking price?

I’m really considering that imported one in Glasgow myself, just don’t know if it’s a wise move at the moment with the economy making a big purchase, I don’t need it exactly but I really want an 80!.

OP do you have any more details/pics of your one?, drop me a PM if you’re thinking of getting rid.

Longer term speculation here: go with the best or rarest bodywork version. I did up my 97 GX on the basis that in a decade or so the tidy examples will be highly coveted for EV conversions. Providing the crank pulley with EV and leaving the gearbox in place would leave the rest of the car's systems requiring no further modification, other than rewiring the ignition. People are already doing this for early LRs but they were always uncomfortable vehicles - the 80 is still an acceptable daily driver experience and will represent EV with retro style with formidable triple locked prowess.

Last edited:
Interesting. I don’t have the problem of living in a “green” zone or a potential ev zone.

I’m combining all the vx limited goodies with the Amazon gx to make some kind of mega spec 80 (minus sunroof, but that could still happen).

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here’s a few I’ve had my eye on for over a week. The first has been up for the longest, lots of kit, a 12v auto but surely we are use to seeing things like that fetch more over the last few years?

Silver 24v manual with no mot. I thought that would sell within 24 hours….nope.

Another expedition spec that’s had a lot of work and modifications. Been hanging around like a bad smell at 10k for a while now.

I wonder if fuel prices and the economy are having an effect on prices.

Attachments

• 15214F4C-FF33-4D65-BCBF-4C520F140F83.png
    15214F4C-FF33-4D65-BCBF-4C520F140F83.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • 74C00EF3-C259-4F12-B623-AB0B0C3D9950.png
    74C00EF3-C259-4F12-B623-AB0B0C3D9950.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • F6E6725A-2A43-4429-B9A6-D20A5312DAE7.png
    F6E6725A-2A43-4429-B9A6-D20A5312DAE7.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
I’m quite tempted by the first one, it got bid up to £7800 on eBay and sold but appeared back on as a classified so don’t know what’s going on there.

The second one has quite a lot of kit in it but I think was originally a non turbo, plus it looks a bit rough.

Last one looks absolutely perfect to me!, I’d have had that in a heartbeat if it had AC, sadly it doesn’t though so it’s out the window.

I’m almost thinking about going for a 100 or 120 instead at the moment but I know I’d regret it.

A member on here - can't remember who - went to see the first one and did a U-turn straight away.

If its a good solid 80 it will sell straight away at good money, they seem to have got to "cult status". Most people can see the chaff straight away and walk away.

100 series prices are all over the place, you've really got to want a 100 series to pay the £15+k some dealers are chancing.

That’s good to know about the first one, a shame really because it’s really well kitted out.

I wouldn’t pay £15k for a 100 but getting one at around £8k is really tempting.
A 120 is probably more suitable than both and a bit more modern, I’ve had a 2005 LC5 before and it was faultless and I’d have another any day, just I really want an 80, I’m alright waiting for the right one though.

Personally i think you should realistically focus your budget on what you can fix then look for a truck that would be good once the repairs are done .

Even people are past their prime at a quarter century but most of us patch up well enough to eke out a few more decades .

Yeah I’d be more than happy to get one that needs a bit of TLC and do some work to it, things like bodywork or immediate maintenance wouldn’t bother me as long as the chassis was solid.
I’m not in a huge rush to get one though so I’d rather wait for one in the spec I want to come up and go from there, even if it needs some work.

I think there a few out there that would like an 80 that's a bit rough. Many have purchased (like yourself) real tidy versions to hang on to as good 80's are getting a bit thin on the ground, and to have an 80 to go green laning in that they don't mind getting a bit beat up, but has a 'ticket' to get to and from venues would be an asset.

Get the ticket and get what you can IMO.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Perhaps I should have got shot of mine a year ago before several k were spent. On the other hand, I use mine for occasional 3.5 ton towing. What else could I find that is reasonably sound, capable off road, reasonably comfortable and not loads of main dealer requirements for a few k?

I've also got two 80's on the drive and the wife keeps nagging that I should get rid of one, but they like my kids and I don't really know what they worth now days anyways

I've also got two 80's on the drive and the wife keeps nagging that I should get rid of one, but they like my kids and I don't really know what they worth now days anyways

Both the cars and kids get more expensive as they get older, difficult decision which ones to get rid of. :)

Regards

Dave

Sell the kids and fix the car - simples :handgestures-thumb:

Hmmm, I was thinking about saying exactly that Shayne, but being a mild mannered and weak tiny (8 stone) easily scared kind of guy I did not risk it. :)

Regards

Dave

Back