Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Selling a private number plate

Rob

Garage
When I bought my Volvo it came with a private plate and as I am not a fan of them I would like to sell it. However looking into it there seem to be fees left right and centre. I can see 3 options, keep it on my vehicle until someone is interested and transfer it directly to their vehicle at a cost of £80. This is the cheapest option but it involves sending both of our vehicle documents to the DVLA and both of us need to sign the document. Not sure if a buyer would be willing to post me their V5 etc. after buying it on ebay.

Another option would be to put it on a retention certificate, however it costs £105 for a year and then it costs £25 to add a "nominee" at a later date. I could wait untill I have a buyer and apply for the retention document and add them as the guarantee for £105 but again, will the buyer be willing to wait until the DVLA send out all the forms.

It seems that the preferable way, get a retention document then put it on sale and add the buyer as a nominee, is the most expensive :? And the less money you spend on fees the more inconvenient it is for the buyer. I have put my number plate on sale through an online agent or 2 but at the price they are asking I think it will be on sale for a very long time. Has anyone on here have experience in selling number plates? What is the best way to sell the plate and where?

First off is it a proper dateless UK <60's plate or a NI Plate Like BAZ 5561 etc - Big difference if its the latter don't bother.

Most buyers of proper plates are happy to a transfer using their V5's, a quick trip to your local DVLA will have it sorted in a few days. Thats the simplest & easiest option if your prepared to go to the DVLA local office.

The plate is a UK plate so no complications in selling it, i hope.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk

Declan, I just understood your question. It is not a dateless plate, but it is a relative old one so you can put it most almost all vehicles.

I used to have a Niva with a cute? plate, I contacted one of the cherished number sites and they told me how much it was worth, or how much they would give me for it.
I just couldn't warrant spending £300 to get it MOT'd just to put a £200 plate on retention.

Might be worthwhile finding how much the plate is worth before making a decision?

I have put it up for sale with a couple of agents so I have an idea how much I could potentially get for it and it seems like its worth selling. However I do not want to spend money and put it on a retention document just for it to run out in a year an loose the rights to the plate. I have put it up for sale in the classifieds section and I will leave it up to buyer to decide how much fees they would like to pay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fair enough, best of luck and hope it works out for you. :thumbup:

Back