Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Servicing 1KZ-TE fuel pump .

Shayne

Guru

1KZT-E Fuel Pump Service

Hi guys, don't know if any of you own a landcruiser or anything that runs the 1KZT-E fuel pump system but I thought it may be handy if I post how to service one of them.

Firstly, the symptoms are these:

• Lack of power
  • Fuel Blockage Light on
  • Hard to start
  • Car shutting it self off at speeds (Spill control valve in particular)
  • Not revving past a certain limit (2k revs like its limited)
  • Not running smooth, Black smoke.
Basically, inside the fuel pump holds exactly 2 filters. A strainer type and a actual filter. The strainer lies at the side of the pump where the RPM sensor is. This is fairly easy to get out. However, the strainer type one, is under the Spill control valve (right on the pump) which can be tricky to remove. Here are some general steps to how I did this.

- Airbox needs removing, 3 12mm Bolts holding it in place, and then a screw driver for the clip.- Unclip the return fuel pipe coming from the Pump (Just to make it easier)- Undo all the wired clips you see from the Pump, its very easy to unclip and it is clear where they are go back as there is very little movement with the wires.-There is a grey clip at the bottom of the spill control valve.From the picture above the bit you are removing is the right bottom place where a clip should connect to (grey one). There is a 22mm spanner just behind it. It is clearer to see from the engine bay.You then need a 22mm Spanner to Undo the BIG NUT on the close side to the pump, NOT the 19mm nut as this removes the plug and is not necessary.Once out keep in a safe place as it is very delicate, note there is a rubber seal around the edge.Now use a small flat screw driver or tweezer and yank/pull out the metal strainer.Putting it back in is exactly the same. NOTE that the strainer goes in only one certain way.Also to get most of the crap out, pump the fuel filter housing with the strainer out and let some fuel splash out, taking most of the crap in the pump out of it as well.Put everything back together, Pump the filter to get fuel back into the pump and start her up!:thumbup:

That's my write up Shayne :lol:

When I had that problem I began very knowledgeable about those electronic pumps. That guide isn't very detailed so if anyone wants any further info let me know...

Jeez Beau tell Santa you want a bloody camera for christmas will ya ! I must have read thousands of pages about these trucks by now and that is the very first time its been suggested to me that the fuel pump has it's own filters . It's reasonably obvious it would now its been mentioned but i reckon it could be the answer to many a question i've seen posted on here . Pete springs to mind with his unexplained temporary power loss , i bet he has got his fuel tank off by now .

I bet he hasn't......:icon-biggrin:

Photos are always appreciated!

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had a problem a while back where the cruiser would cut off at high speeds (on the motorway) and I would have to pull over onto the hard shoulder and crank for minutes until she would restart. It would happen randomly at times and sometimes it would be after half hour drives. One day I took a drive to the supermarket (10 minute drive) and on the way back down a slip road she cut off and I pulled onto the hard shoulder, cranked and cranked but she wouldn't start! A friends AA had to rescue me back home and the guy had no idea what the problem was (I did but wanted to see if he did).

Anyway I then did some research and found out there were filters inside the pump, thinking one of them were blocked. I've actually read there are three filters but most suggest there are two.

Filter one - Located below the spill control valve - spill control valve is located right to the pump (looking at it from passenger side wing). You'll need a 32mm spanner but it has to be short due to the space. Oil filter off gives a little more space. Once you crack it open a little you'll be able to turn it by hand, it's a tight thread. The spill control valve is very delicate so don't twist or push the bottom pulser thing. Once you have this out below it is a layered filtered! The filter itself can be taken out and cleaned as it has three layers. Once cleaned just reverse the procedure.

Filter two - What I believe is the RPM sensor - is a circular filter with a spring washer behind it. Very easy to lose the spring washer to be careful. I didn't put this one back as it managed to have a hole in it through the amount of grudge that built up.

Filter three (apparently) - is located below the return banjo line.

If replacing those filters don't make anything better then it's possible the spill control valve itself is messed up. It's actually possible to open up the spill control valve and clean the insides once done correctly.

When I have some time I may take some detailed pics of the pump, I have a Brand new one under my bed! :icon-cool:

Back