Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Severe rust patch - 105 Series

Solanum1

Country Flag
australia
Hey guys looking for thoughts on this.

Ive discovered this tonight on my 2006 105 series wagon. This is a metal bar located under the steering wheel, the rust patch is completely isolated to and around this low water alarm module. I have cut the zip tie on the module since then to expose more of the bar, the rust is bad bad bad.

What are peoples thoughts? Its a completely inconspicuous location... its not like any weather can effect it, so its purely some kind of electrolysis or reaction

20170918_203230.jpg 20170918_203134.jpg

Does the module have a metal base on it? Does it have a battery within the module?

It gets warm acting as a condenser keeping the steel wet is my guess , same as condensation on windows .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Unless the windscreen leaks and the water is holding behind it?

No metal in the module at all apart from the probe that sits at the back of the unit. My guess is that the probe gets warm or condensates on long trips from the constant connection to the cooling system. I will contact that manufacturer today.

I will also check any potential leaks in the vehicle. Its a wet today so something should show if theres a leak!

No metal in the module at all apart from the probe that sits at the back of the unit. My guess is that the probe gets warm or condensates on long trips from the constant connection to the cooling system. I will contact that manufacturer today.

I will also check any potential leaks in the vehicle. Its a wet today so something should show if theres a leak!

With the rust stain going down there is definitely water involved from somewhere. Can you clip that cable tie to get some better photos? It might reveal as Gary said a leak coming down from the windscreen.

Back